For R series, when playback button to view the pictures taken on the LCD, does the shutter close and turn off the sensor, or the sensor is still on?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
As title, wonders if the sensor is still draining battery or the shutter is closed sensor power down?
The shutter stays open in ECO mode when the screen and EVF time out. Not sure that means the sensor is in a power-saving standby mode too or still "draining the battery." If the sensor is still at full, active power, then "Eco Mode" isn't so Eco.

What drains my battery the very fastest is having the EVF and screen set to automatically switch back and forth whenever the EVF proximity sensor is triggered, as I'm almost always brushing my elbow, strap, hand or shirt material near it when walking. I've set my camera to use the video recording button to manually switch from back-screen to EVF as I lift the camera to my eye. Can easily double, even triple my battery time, as the camera is also set to ECO mode, and when done taking photos, I reflexively switch from EVF back to screen, which then times out quickly.

In the studio, when I don't use a strap, I usually put the camera on a cart when not actually photographing, so for that situation I do use the automatic EVF to back-screen function. During a session, ECO mode is off.

It's easy to change settings so that the video recording button goes back to doing what it's intended for.

Upvote 0