For those moving from an R to the R6, thoughts?

HikeBike

R6 / R / T3i
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I own the R and R6, and 100% agree with wockawocka's comments.

In good lighting, the R6's EVF performance beats the R. However, in low light, the R is considerably better.

The blackout is also annoying, but think this could easily be corrected by a firmware update, given it doesn't occur starting with shot #2 in burst mode (it still occurs with shot #1 in burst).

Other negatives of the R6 vs R would be the smaller rear LCD and the omission of the top LCD. However, I have found neither of these bothersome.

Now, all that said, I do love the R6 so far. I also love my R, but the R6 very much feels like a better camera. The AF, IBIS, ISO performance, framerate, control setup/ergonomics...all upgrades.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020
I'm confused by this thread. Universally the freeze frame/stutter of the R was universally panned. But a lot of people jumping in here to say that the blackout that replaced it is worse? I'm trying to understand that and just can't since blackout is more akin to a DSLR experience.

HikeBike

R6 / R / T3i
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I'd like to revise my statement after doing some more comparing. The blackout on the R6 is definitely better than the freeze-frame on the R. I'll take it any day of the week. Also, in burst, the R6 has a freeze frame after each shot, starting with shot #2. Shot #1 has the blackout.

Last edited:

Frodo

EOS RP
Nov 3, 2012
I'm confused by this thread. Universally the freeze frame/stutter of the R was universally panned. But a lot of people jumping in here to say that the blackout that replaced it is worse? I'm trying to understand that and just can't since blackout is more akin to a DSLR experience.
I posted some months ago that the viewfinder stutter was the biggest issue I had with the R and how I couldn't believe/understand how RF lenses would help compared to EF lenses. Well I now replaced my EF 24-105/4L with the RF version. Switching on high speed display with the RF lens now makes a big difference and I no longer consider this a major issue with this lens/camera combo.