Getting Canon 200-400 f4 L this weekend...advice?

johnf3f said:
danski0224 said:
Wouldn't it be cool if Canon dropped a 400-600 f/4 DO 1.4x IS?

;D

Ditch the zoom and IS functions and I will be right with you!
A 600 F4 DO including a 1.4 extender would be very interesting - but no zoom and IS please.

A 600 f/4do is still going to have a 150mm front, and just as many elements as the regular 600. It would likely cost substantially more as well. It would be shorter but that is the only real benefit.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Ok....... it's over.... I'm nearly blind in both eyes from staring through the OVF for 3 hours at a time.... 4 shows. 160 dance number.... 12,000 frames shot. Apart from the lower lighting than a camera would like, we have Fresnels, Leicos, LEDs, and a huge 12 foot tall, 30 foot wide solid LED wall all at different color temps.... yeah.

It's the one of the most challenging things I can image as a photographer, but it's always fun. I haven't even really looked at the RAW files yet closely, but what I have seen looks pretty good.

Auto ISO (much less AUTO anything) was still a no-go this year. There is still waaaaaaay to many lighting schemes on stage (and a fog machine to create the light beam effects) that wrecks hell on a metering system. Full manual with dialing on the fly as needed worked much better.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Wish I could explain how utterly ridiculous it was to trap dancers moving at Mach 2 with at least 1/500th a second with all that crap going on! ISO 6400 all the way.

Jim Saunders said:
You weren't kidding about the lights! Pink Floyd would be proud of that setup.

Jim

Upvote 0