Getting started with sports photography

I have a small side photography business that I'm trying to make more real. One topic that interests me is sports photography. I made an offer to a local high school in North Carolina, where I'd made all my photos available to the school to use for any official use, and then let parents of the team members pay for any prints. I was told that the school already has an contract with another photography company, plus any sideline photographers require either a press pass or a NCHSAA photographer pass.

So, this begs the question, for any sports photographers out there, how did you get started? Do I need to join some umbrella organization? I expect I'll get the same response from any other high school in the community, so my next approach will be community sports leagues. If I'm successful in working that scene, I can build up a portfolio that way, but I'm not sure how to make the jump from shooting community sports to shooting higher profile sporting events. I assume once I have a better portfolio, I could also approach media outlets and perhaps get a press pass as a freelancer, but I'm not sure how much opportunity there is to earn money there.

Since this isn't my livelihood, I'm really looking for something fun to shoot and will pay for better camera gear, but I don't want to be beholden to some cheap photography company paying $10/hr.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience or advice in this field.

early on when i was starting i worked for a highschool portrait company shooting sports and events. typically each school signs a contract with these companies that prohibit any other commercial photography from happening at a contracted school event.

outside of becoming a freelance shooter for one of these companies you will meet some stiff resistance trying to photograph highschool events. even if you offer to shoot for free and not charge for prints, the company will look at it as the school is breaching the contract as it could take potential sales away from them.

as far as higher level athletic events, i have shot a few collegiate athletic events only because i was hired by one of the institutions departments to cover alumni related stuff. those type of events will require some type of pass being issued either through the institution or through the media. when you get to that level (and i imagine the pro level) institutions will be very cautious about allowing photography as they are very keen on controlling their brand.

your best bet might be approaching media outlets to see if they hire freelancers to cover sporting events. i couldn't advise you as to how to do this as i haven't personally done it myself. i'm friends with a photojournalist that works for the local paper and i hear alot about the state of that industry. what may work in your favor is that many media outlets have cut their staffing by a significant amount which could open up more opportunities for freelance coverage. what may work against you is that their budgets have been cut significantly as well and they may not be interested in paying freelancers. another consideration is that you likely would not have rights to any images you shot as they would be owned by the media outlet.

outside of being a parent of a child who participates in a youth league, its not the friendliest environment out there for sports photography if you are not already affiliated with an organization.

at worst...you could always just show up and shoot until you are told to stop.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I think that's kind of what I'm leaning towards. I'll try attending some high school sports games as a spectator and taking photos for myself. Once I have enough decent photos, I'll try contacting some local newspapers and see if I can get press passes from them to cover them in a more official capacity.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
One time I went to watch my friend's son play HS football, and I thought to bring my camera. Took some talking and explaining until they allowed me to take photos on the sideline. They made it really clear that the photos are not to be used anywhere, for any purpose, and that I'd need to be really careful about not getting in way of anything that happens, including the real photogs.

In a way I understand they are really strict about the rules, but I just wanted to get good pics for my friend.

Also I've been also talking with local pro if I could somehow get to shoot the local MLS team. He says it's really difficult but not impossible, so I keep pinging him every few months if there's some reason or another to let me in.

So good luck there, it seems it's tough place to get in (as almost any photo stuff actually).

Upvote 0