Godox launches the V1Pro TTL Li-ion Round Flash

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Godox has officially launched the V1Pro TTL Round Flash for Canon and other manufacturers. This series of Godox speedlites is a lot more cost effective than the OEM speedlights from Canon that you can’t buy anyway. I own the V1 and I have been very happy with flash. I don’t use flashes all that often,

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
For me a TT685II connected to a PB960 is the best solution; it's WAY cheaper, power is the same of the V1, recharge is instant even at full power, and with 5€ you can buy the adapter for the round magnetic accessories.

Even better, although a little more expensive than the stand-alone V1, one can use an AD200 as a battery pack, with the remote head mounted on camera via EC200 cable, the thing is three times as powerful than a V1, battery duration is basically infinite, but the best thing is that the rig in your hand is so much lighter than having a full sized strobe (at least 500g) mounted on top of your camera.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
For me a TT685II connected to a PB960 is the best solution; it's WAY cheaper, power is the same of the V1, recharge is instant even at full power, and with 5€ you can buy the adapter for the round magnetic accessories.

Even better, although a little more expensive than the stand-alone V1, one can use an AD200 as a battery pack, with the remote head mounted on camera via EC200 cable, the thing is three times as powerful than a V1, battery duration is basically infinite, but the best thing is that the rig in your hand is so much lighter than having a full sized strobe (at least 500g) mounted on top of your camera.

I'm super impressed by all the Godox speed lights I have used. There must be an advantage to using an EL-1, but I haven't found it, but I'm not a flash guru.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Once again a copy of Profoto flashes. They are cheap, thats the only advantage. But cheap means in this case and mostly a lower quality level. I will stay with Profoto, their systems work for decades.
For the price of a Profoto speedlite, I'd probably be more inclined to just buy the EL-1.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm super impressed by all the Godox speed lights I have used. There must be an advantage to using an EL-1, but I haven't found it, but I'm not a flash guru.
For hobbiests like me, it’s hard to beat the price. My V860IIC is still working great after a few years and I don’t have to worry about burning out the flash, I can attempt to replace it myself or buy a complete new flash a few times before I get to EL-1 amounts of money :)

Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
I've been using Godox flashes for a few years now - the V1C, AD200 Pro plus the AD600BM - and all work great, especially color accuracy and power output. As far as build quality goes, they are very well built. The biggest flaw that I can see they have is the awkward way to update firmware, plus with the older models like the AD600 BM you have to use Godox_G1 app which is difficult to connect to the device from a Windows PC (the G2 app works better). Sure, like many Chinese knock-offs (remember when we all used Yongnuo instead of the EX580's) they are a cheaper alternative...and that is the point of them, especially for multiple flash setups.

I use the V1C with a dome diffuser (AK-R11) when using it as 'on-camera' flash and it works well. The 76 watt/sec power output is great. However, having used the slightly more expensive AD 200 Pro with several accessories, including softboxes and the bare bulb attachment, you can create omni-directional soft light that looks more natural.

Anyone that is on a budget and is looking for cheaper flash units that can also be used outdoors, then I would suggest looking at the bigger units like the 600 W/s manual only AD600BM, as it cost me only 1.5x price of the V1C and only 20 percent more than the AD200. This is where Godox shines...you save more money when you trade up to their more powerful offerings.

Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Having reviewed the full specs list of the V1 Pro versus the older V1, they are basically the same, same power output, same battery (except for the addition of in-body USB-C recharge), same wireless specs, same zoom range (24-105 mm). The new detachable mini fill-flash looks a bit gimmicky, especially if used outdoors will likely have zero effect. The price differential is about 100 euros between the older V1-C and the newer V1 Pro C does not seem worth it tbh.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
they are basically the same, same power output, .
Power output seems to be maxed at 76 watts for speedlights, so you shouldn't expect any increase. That's the same as an EL-1 or Profoto A10.
A big difference from the V1 is they removed the 30 full power pop limit on this one, so you can shoot 100 full power pops sequentially according to the literature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Mainly recycle time and the amount of continous full power pops you can shoot. The EL-1 can do like 170 continuous full power pops and it recycles in .9 seconds. Ideal for event photography (what I used it for), but not needed for casual shooting.

Upvote 0
Mainly recycle time and the amount of continous full power pops you can shoot. The EL-1 can do like 170 continuous full power pops and it recycles in .9 seconds. Ideal for event photography (what I used it for), but not needed for casual shooting.
Consider that any PB960-capable Godox flash (TT600, TT685, now the V1Pro; while old V1 and the V860 aren't capable) recycle instantly, meaning 0.0/0.1, at full power while connected to the external battery pack; but the full power pops in a row are much less, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I too use a V1 which is very capable, as well as an ancient 430ex with a stofen omibounce when I need 2 flashes, but I was recently working an event with someone who had the EL-1 and I will have to say the recycle speed is astonishing, it can basically shoot non stop in continuous drive mode.

Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2013
It's essentially a V1 with ability to connect the PB960 while having ~14% larger battery 2,980 vs 2,600 mah, which costs ~10% more ($54.00 vs $49.00), yet only provides ~4% more activations at full power (500 vs 480). Pro can now be charged directly using usb-c, without taking the battery out and putting it in a pesky cradle, which you had to carry as an extra - a gross engineering oversight for V in the first place.

The product developers then threw in ETTL-II and reduced the cycle times from 1.5 sec to 1.3 sec* (* probably claimed using PB960 or that explains why newer battery has no significant gain in activations) to make it a "Pro".

Currently, the V1 is on sale (again) as a Flashpoint for $199. That's a about 40% of savings over the Pro name, at $329. Is the additional $130 worth it - you decide. Looks like Godox has now copied the developed strategy of opportunistic capitalism; its reverse engineering is now complete.

Full disclaimer I own multiple V1s and eVolv 200 Pros and I love them since they have been bulletproof as I have dropped, submerged and manhandled them, while providing very consistent power and temperature. The universal transceivers are cross compatible regardless of the hotshoe mount. Granted the flashes won't work on shoe mount for different brands. Recommended Mr. CRG - Richard to buy them, in another post.

Upvote 0
reduced the cycle times from 1.5 sec to 1.3 sec* (* probably claimed using PB960 or that explains why newer battery has no significant gain in activations) to make it a "Pro".
Of course I've not tried the V1Pro, but I can tell you that I have two Strobes, TT600 and TT685II (both using AA's), that are PB960 compatible (and of course I have the PB960), and the recycle time (especially with the 2-in-1 cable) at full power is zero point zero; so I'll say with pretty good confidence that 1.5s vs 1.3s in V1Pro is achieved internally, not with the battery pack.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've personally found Godox great, all their gear I've bought it very well made, Well thought out, easy to figure them out. Good accessories. I've the AD200's and an AD100 and a trigger, different light boxes.. Super pieces of kit. I see V1 all the time, extremely popular. Yes its probably a copy of the Profoto but people are price concious. In the end flash is just a flash, as long as it works its good. Yongnue gear is also very well made. Canon's prices for flashes are nuts, it must be a cash cow.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0