Guilty pleasures ??

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Seven DSLRs, including two that are on more or less permanent loan.

I tend to shoot with two bodies most of the time.

Frequently used: 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, 5D Mark III

Boxed in reserve and rarely, if ever used: 5D Mark II, 50D (Too much sentimental value to ever let go as my first "real" DSLR that I learned so much using beyond what shooting film for 20+ years had taught me)

On more or less permanent loan: 7D (local high school art/photography department), Rebel XTi (brother-in -law)

I also still have a PowerShot A540 tucked away somewhere, as well as 135 format film Konica FS1, Sears (Pentax) K1000, and EOS Rebel SII.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’ve just been checking the used prices currently
Due to the crazy prices of canons R system (ridiculous) it looks like many are buying used gear, the demand has pushed up prices way higher than what I paid, maybe not for the bodies, but the lenses definitely. I’d make a killing if I sold mine now. But the surging cost of canons new RF lenses doesn’t look to be slowing down.

Upvote 0
Boxed in reserve and rarely, if ever used: 5D Mark II, 50D (Too much sentimental value to ever let go as my first "real" DSLR that I learned so much using beyond what shooting film for 20+ years had taught me)
How can you have sentimental feeling for that dog of the 50D?it's the only body I actively hated for it's colour noise and general unsharpness.

Even though the 10D was dead-slow (in particular when shooting RAW), I was much happier with it than the 50D. Much less colour noise and great colours.

Moved to 5D3 when that came out in 2012 - what a leap in almost everything. It's on permanent loan to my step-mom as a backup for her 5D3 (I convinced her to move from the original 1Ds as she constantly hit high ISO noise problems. The smaller size and lighter weight was welcome too).

As I mostly shoot sports (motorcycle racing) I picked up a used 1Dx in 2020, which works as my backup body now.

Since last summer the R3 is my main body. Still have all the DSLRs with boxes.
There's a Powershot S120 somewhere that I bought as a "casual walk-around" camera in 2011 as well, but I found that I either reached for the smartphone or the 5D3.

Upvote 0
But not a single RF lens, since I sold the 24-105 L. This will change with the new body, RF 100 & the hypothetical 2,8/24-105.
Over the last month I have gone from zero to two RF lenses. I took advantage of the Canon cashbacks to get a new 100-500 and a pristine second hand 24-105 f/4L.

The 200-400 focuses faster than the 100-500, but the 100-500 is no slouch. I can see myself moving more and more to the 100-500 for size, weight and convenience.

Upvote 0
I currently only have 2 RF lenses the 16 & 50. Will definitely be picking up the new 28mm pancake as soon as it arrives. Body wise ?? I’m ok with the RP, I suspect I’ll add the R8 within a year. Another RF lens that appeals is the 24-240 as a travel lens.
But tbh I doubt I’d use it due to its size and bulk - hence why the smaller primes and lighter bodies appeal.

Neither R6/5 interests me in the slightest. I know/read they are supposedly superb but so sick of everyone harping on about them …it’s actually turned me off!!

“Familiarity breeds contempt “ I suppose??

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
How can you have sentimental feeling for that dog of the 50D?it's the only body I actively hated for it's colour noise and general unsharpness.

Compared to the Rebel XTi/400D I was using, the images from the 50D were wonderful. I still think that.

201008198266DPP4HR.JPG

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Moved to 5D3 when that came out in 2012 - what a leap in almost everything. It's on permanent loan to my step-mom as a backup for her 5D3 (I convinced her to move from the original 1Ds as she constantly hit high ISO noise problems. The smaller size and lighter weight was welcome too).

My 5D Mark III has more hot/stuck pixels than all my other DSLRs combined. Even at low ISO.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I currently only have 2 RF lenses the 16 & 50. Will definitely be picking up the new 28mm pancake as soon as it arrives. Body wise ?? I’m ok with the RP, I suspect I’ll add the R8 within a year. Another RF lens that appeals is the 24-240 as a travel lens.
But tbh I doubt I’d use it due to its size and bulk - hence why the smaller primes and lighter bodies appeal.

Neither R6/5 interests me in the slightest. I know/read they are supposedly superb but so sick of everyone harping on about them …it’s actually turned me off!!

“Familiarity breeds contempt “ I suppose??

Wait. The new 28mm pancake is an RF instead of RF-S? I missed that in the announcements the other day. Cool.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Over the last month I have gone from zero to two RF lenses. I took advantage of the Canon cashbacks to get a new 100-500 and a pristine second hand 24-105 f/4L.

The 200-400 focuses faster than the 100-500, but the 100-500 is no slouch. I can see myself moving more and more to the 100-500 for size, weight and convenience.
My "problem" is that I already have whatever I need in EF lenses. So, I'll only replace the ones I'm not entusiastic about, like the EF 28 + 35 IS, the EF 100L (superb macro, but less at infinity).
Most expensive RF lenses are great, (didn't like the 24-105L) and will sooner or later rejoin-replace some EFs, but not the 135 F2, 85 F1,4 and definitely not the 100-400 II L.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Wait. The new 28mm pancake is an RF instead of RF-S? I missed that in the announcements the other day. Cool.
Yep
I can barely wait. A pancake is just what I’ve been wanting.
The days of hauling big ass lenses are gladly behind me. My RP (R8 next) plus light primes is just heaven….travel light travel far

Upvote 0
My "problem" is that I already have whatever I need in EF lenses. So, I'll only replace the ones I'm not entusiastic about, like the EF 28 + 35 IS, the EF 100L (superb macro, but less at infinity).
Most expensive RF lenses are great, (didn't like the 24-105L) and will sooner or later rejoin-replace some EFs, but not the 135 F2, 85 F1,4 and definitely not the 100-400 II L.
I do not plan on replacing my EF lenses either (16-35/4, 24-70/2.8 II, 70-200/2.8 II, 100L, 300/2.8 II, 200-400/4)
I generally shoot with long lenses, so the 100-500 was an interesting low weight/size option over the big whites. My intention is that the 24-105/4 will cover for the other focal ranges. I won't miss the 16-24mm range. And if I do, I can always use the EF-RF adapter.

Compared to the Rebel XTi/400D I was using, the images from the 50D were wonderful. I still think that.
Just goes to prove the old adage of folks and strokes. I was quite disappointed with the 50D coming from the 10D.

Upvote 0
Only two. R6 and 7d2. They are tools. Don't need unnecessary tools.
I wish I could be so pragmatic!!
I have a garage FULL of unnecessary unused tools, I seem to spend all my free time simply moving “stuff” around, none of it hardly ever sees use. But it’s Sods Law the day AFTER I chuck it, I’ll suddenly need it!!
Same goes for photo gear…I’d guess 95% NEVER sees use.

If anything I seem to rely on my phone or my compact these days- the faff of hauling gear doesn’t interest me in the slightest.
So long as the image is sharp and I captured “the moment” I quite honestly couldn’t care less anymore.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I wish I could be so pragmatic!!
I have a garage FULL of unnecessary unused tools, I seem to spend all my free time simply moving “stuff” around, none of it hardly ever sees use. But it’s Sods Law the day AFTER I chuck it, I’ll suddenly need it!!
Same goes for photo gear…I’d guess 95% NEVER sees use.

If anything I seem to rely on my phone or my compact these days- the faff of hauling gear doesn’t interest me in the slightest.
So long as the image is sharp and I captured “the moment” I quite honestly couldn’t care less anymore.
I understand where you are coming from but I came to a Stark realization a while ago that I am too lazy or apathetic to keep superfluous 'stuff' in anything resembling an organized state. So I had to (at times reluctantly) give up on having those unnecessary things at all.

Upvote 0
I understand where you are coming from but I came to a Stark realization a while ago that I am too lazy or apathetic to keep superfluous 'stuff' in anything resembling an organized state. So I had to (at times reluctantly) give up on having those unnecessary things at all.
I think you just described me!!
Yesterday I started clearing stuff out of the garage, could not face the thought of bartering nor the faff of listing on eBay so bagged it up and took it to the tip!! Literally £1000’s of pounds worth of new/unused crap !!
Just loading the car up again. It’s liberating….but very expensive!! Lol

As for photo gear, not yet sure how to get rid. It’s all stored out of sight.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
The three I have in my signature: R6, R10 and 6D. The last one is a one-week-old addiction (I'm actually still awaiting the shipping) because recently found that I better needed an extra FF body for emergency backup at weddings (which I wasn't planning to do anymore, but I had an unexpected spike in requests), as the R10 is not going to cut it at high iso if the R6 dies in the field.

Then, I also have an Eos 300 film camera, that I don't use; it's there just because it was my first Canon camera in 1999, so I recently purchased one used just for fun and collection, 25€ seemed a reasonable price to keep it in the drawer knowing it's there.

Upvote 0