Gura Gear is Now Tamrac G-Elite

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Gura Gear has made my favourite travel backpack for as long as I can remember, so I’m not sure how I feel about this, I was never a fan of Tamrac’s products. I’ve always appreciated the small and focused product range that Gura Gear provided. The Bataflae bags are also the best made travel packs I’ve ever used and abused.</p>
<p>If you remember, Tamrac went bankrupt and <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/gura-gear-acquires-tamrac-brands-assets/" target="_blank">Gura Gear acquired the long standing camera bag brand</a> and all of its assets.</p>
<p>The new Tamrac G Elite G26 (26L) and G32 (32L) are <a href="http://www.tamrac.com/collections/gura-gear?mc_cid=fde7b81339&mc_eid=ea0d675098&utm_campaign=fde7b81339-G-ELITE%20Announcement&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Gura%20Gear&utm_term=0_1cdb6a9ea9-fde7b81339-275229457" target="_blank">now available for preorder</a>.</p>
<p><strong>From Tamrac:</strong></p>
<p><em>One Brand. One Vision. One Message.</em></p>
<p>We’ve always had one vision; to carry your photography dreams to the ends of the Earth.  Gura Gear developed a bit of a reputation for camera bags that are durable, beautiful, functional, and capable of traveling anywhere and everywhere.</p>
<p>We aren’t interested in resting on our reputation, so to grow and spread our ideas to a wider audience, we bought Tamrac. A brand with a nearly 40 year heritage and a global network. Now, we’ve taken the best of Gura Gear, injected it into the all new TAMRAC and would like to welcome you to the TAMRAC family.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>The New TAMRAC is built by Gura Gear

</strong>Over the last six months we’ve introduced several new awesome TAMRAC bags built on Gura Gear’s core design philosophies; lightweight, premium materials, PVC free, and quality craftsmanship. The new Anvil, Corona, and Stratus bags embody these ideas. The industry has taken notice too.</p>
<p>“For almost 40 years, Tamrac has been producing bags aimed towards photographers who embraced the great outdoors. Their brand new collection of Anvil backpacks … continues their tradition while making a number of exciting design choices that make this collection their best ever.” – Fstoppers, September 2015</p>
<p>Built on Gura Gear’s DNA, the all new TAMRAC G-ELITE G32 and G26 introduce tougher, lighter fabrics with the world’s strongest fiber, Dyneema®, along with a new front pocket system that can accommodate a laptop, light reflector, jacket or whatever else you need for your photographic journey. G-ELITE is designed to maximize every cubic centimeter of the overhead bin space while being easy to use from the back seat of land rover chasing hyenas, lions, and wild dogs. G-ELITE is the apex of volume efficient, lightweight camera carrying. Take a sneak peek at the G32 and G26. Available in Olive and Charcoal.</p>
<p>Where is Gura Gear going?  The same place it has always gone.  To the ends of the Earth.</p>
<p><strong>More Questions and Answers …</strong></p>
<p><em>Is the Gura Gear brand going away?</em></p>
<p>Yes, we are consolidating the brands as simply, TAMRAC. In the coming days, www.guragear.com will cease to exist and all traffic will be pointed to www.tamrac.com</p>
<p><em>Will my Gura Gear bag still be covered by a warranty?</em></p>
<p>Yes, the same warranty that applied when your bag was purchased will continue to apply.</p>
<p><em>Will there be special offers on Gura Gear branded products?</em></p>
<p>Yes, all current Gura Gear products in stock are now marked down and in our new Outlet as well as available at a discount through participating dealers.</p>
<p><em>If you bought Tamrac, why don’t you consolidate the brands to Gura Gear?</em></p>
<p>Great question. Simple answers. Tamrac has been around for nearly 40 years, has greater brand equity, is easier to remember, spell and say, and we simply like it better.</p>
<p>Have more questions? Chat with us live at <a href="http://www.tamrac.com/"><span class="s2">www.tamrac.com</span></a> or <a href="http://guragear.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4707c2be1fbe4fc633df71224&id=6aa48ca114&e=d515abd867"><span class="s2">email us anytime</span></a></p>

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
LDS said:
Probably they know 'Gura Gear' is little know abroad and it's difficult to pronounce correctly or doesn't sound well in many foreign languages. For branding today, it's important too, especially if you want to go global.
True, in India atleast people know Tamrac as it was present in market for a long time alongside Lowepro. Gura gear, Fstop gear, Kata are far less known amongst the people here. Also its good to know Tamrac is back in game.

Upvote 0
I own a Tamrac Expedition 8 for 7 years now, and I am verry happy with it. It's rugged, big and it is nice to carry. I can fitt a lot of gear in it. I have seen other bags and I am happy to use the Tamrac. It may not be a Ferrari and that is a good thing. It is more like a Toyota Landcruser to me and I am fine with that. I don't like to go offroad with a Ferrari.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Chaitanya said:
True, in India atleast people know Tamrac as it was present in market for a long time alongside Lowepro. Gura gear, Fstop gear, Kata are far less known amongst the people here. Also its good to know Tamrac is back in game.

Kata became Manfrotto some time ago. Guess it was part of the same Vitec Group which again choose which brands to use.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Maximilian said:
Hope they leave their fingers away from the "Ferrari" same as "Fiat" did ;)

It was Gura Gear to acquire Tamrac and not viceversa. So it's the same people in charge. The latest bags they released under the Tamrac brand - Anvil, Corona, Stratus, Derechoe - look good.

I understand it's a risky move to change brand after you got a very good reputation, and the old brand became tarnished, but IMHO they know what they're doing.

For example if I look for Gura Gear on Amazon UK or Amazon Italy, a search for Gura Gear returns nothing but some minor items, something better Germany, only one Kiboko 22L+ in France at almost 700 euro - compared to the $195 it sells on Amazon US!), while a search for Tamrac returns both the new items and a lot of the old ones.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
Maximilian said:

It was Gura Gear to acquire Tamrac and not viceversa. So it's the same people in charge. The latest bags they released under the Tamrac brand - Anvil, Corona, Stratus, Derechoe - look good.

agreed

It doesn't matter what the name is.. what matters are the people.

If you've got the Gura Gear top management in charge then the Gura Gear should be safe, and the likihood is the Tamrac gear will become more Gura Gear like than the other way around.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
rfdesigner said:
LDS said:
Maximilian said:

agreed

It doesn't matter what the name is.. what matters are the people.

If you've got the Gura Gear top management in charge then the Gura Gear should be safe, and the likihood is the Tamrac gear will become more Gura Gear like than the other way around.
:-[ :-[ :-[ shame on me :-[ :-[ :-[

I thought I was able to read. But obviously I am not able to read properly. It was early in the morning but that's no real excuse.

Thanks, guys, for putting me right.

Upvote 0
Wow, those are damn expensive bags. Suddenly Kata/Manfrotto prices looks pretty affordable.

Anyway, Tamrac has international distribution network and is worldwide well known. Perhaps they could do what many other companies did - keep Gura Gear name for US market and Tamrac for rest of the world but its probably not necessary. Most people who are target customers for these bags will know about Gura Gear -> Tamrac transition.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Speedsurfer142 said:
I own a Tamrac Expedition 8 for 7 years now, and I am verry happy with it. It's rugged, big and it is nice to carry. I can fitt a lot of gear in it. I have seen other bags and I am happy to use the Tamrac. It may not be a Ferrari and that is a good thing. It is more like a Toyota Landcruser to me and I am fine with that. I don't like to go offroad with a Ferrari.

hehe, I also view a Tamrac Expedition 8 similar to a Toyota Landcruiser" and a gura gear Bataflae 26L [now Tamrac G-Elite 26 :p] more like a Range Rover ... sleeker look for a whole lot more money, but similar performance in the field. :D

Upvote 0
I've had a Tamrac Expedition 10 (the big one) for about 7 years. It holds all my gear when I go out into the field especially if I'm hiking for the day and I can even find room for a sandwich and it has two water bottle holders. It also fits under an airline seat if the top compartment is mostly empty. The only complaint I have ever had is the tripod mount across the bottom was worthless and not well thought out. Sadly, its getting long in the tooth and I guess another one or the Evolution will no longer be an option. Nothing against Gura bags, but they are small dainty fashion statements suitable for hipsters on city outings with small ILC outfits.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
photodude said:
The only complaint I have ever had is the tripod mount across the bottom was worthless and not well thought out. Sadly, its getting long in the tooth and I guess another one or the Evolution will no longer be an option. Nothing against Gura bags, but they are small dainty fashion statements suitable for hipsters on city outings with small ILC outfits.

Expedition had the tripod holder across the bag front cover (and I don't remember a 10x). If you look at the Anvil, it builds on the Expedition with a more modern (and comfortable) design, and a more standard attachment for add-ons, no longer limited to proprietary ones. Gura Gear gained its reputation for well designed, sturdy bags, so I won't call them hipsters' ones.

Upvote 0
I have some tamrac bags and they have held up well. I bought a bataflae last year. Its the best, most versatile bag I have ever used but I wouldn't have known about it without reading the articles here.

I expect this will be good for them because you will see the bags in camera stores. Everybody seems to have tamrac on hand and its a well known brand. I've never seen a guru gear product in a store and I expect most people have never heard of them.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
Wanted to have a peak and all they display is two shots of a closed bag. Pretty poor advertising IMHO.

Jack

This is a pre introduction. A teaser.

I emailed them and full set of pix are 2 weeks out. Of course after the 15% discount is gone.

I have the Bataflae and it is a great bag. Weakest point is the front pocket / lack of straps to attach a jacket, ... to the bag.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
photodude said:
The only complaint I have ever had is the tripod mount across the bottom was worthless and not well thought out. Sadly, its getting long in the tooth and I guess another one or the Evolution will no longer be an option. Nothing against Gura bags, but they are small dainty fashion statements suitable for hipsters on city outings with small ILC outfits.

Expedition had the tripod holder across the bag front cover (and I don't remember a 10x). If you look at the Anvil, it builds on the Expedition with a more modern (and comfortable) design, and a more standard attachment for add-ons, no longer limited to proprietary ones. Gura Gear gained its reputation for well designed, sturdy bags, so I won't call them hipsters' ones.

My mistake. It is an Adventure 10. So long since I got it I had to look up the name.

Upvote 0