Hands on Field Test of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Feb 26, 2012
AB
Talys said:
Keeping it real, here's the 3 side by side:

6D2-5D2-EM1MkII
bluesky-mix.jpg

Keeping in mind that this isn't apples to apples, because the lighter the color, it's harder it is to see noise.

HAHA! That looks like something the National Art Gallery of Canada might buy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Fire

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=voice+of+fire

Also, I just checked my camera to make sure and edited my example post.
I have in-camera NR turned completely off.
That way I can see what's happening and I do my NR work in post for any images that get produced.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Mikehit said:
Aglet said:
Y'all asked for it. :)

Here's an original image; scaled from a full rez Olympus EM1 mk2 OOC jpg at base iso (200) with no tweak and default sharpening. (a tad too high... slight halo visible)

I took a 100% crop from the right area and did the same thing I did to samples from Sporgon and Talys; de-sat, crank contrast and exposure amp to make the noise structure visible.

Yup, kinda noisey too.
But very film-grain-like with no significant patterning visible and no worse than Canon's FF with off-sensor ADC.
I even prefer this noise structure to the Canon's and it would clean up, if needed, quite nicely in DXO-pro with one click.

I stand by my claim.
EM1v2 IQ is comparable to previous generation of Canon FF in IQ.

Thankyou. So it seems no superiority but equivalence which is somewhat different to you original statements - and to be honest to be expected at pixel level nowadays for all manufacturers.

The difference is, of course, if you view the MFT and FF images at the same viewing size the MFT is being being magnified twice as much and the MFT noise will become more apparent

The latest MFT will fall behind in overall IQ as the iso goes up but because of the noise structure I would push it as high as 3200 or 6400 iso with good NR vs a 5d2/3 or 6d2/3.

Where I think this MFT wins is in all the cool extras it includes at the same or lower price point.
That's why it's quickly become my favorite camera. It makes it easy to get an image and it's good enough to go fairly big, if needed.

As for the MFT noise being more apparent than FF at the same viewing size.
The short version is yes, it should be so.. but there are various caveats that may tend to equalize things a little.

In this exercise, I did not accentuate the noise from each of these 3 samples in exactly the same way so they are not directly comparable, unfortunately.. This was just meant to examine the structure of the noise of each system.

To do a proper comparison an identically exposed image would need to be shot by each system, of the same patch of sky at the same time, etc... so we have the same relative RGB blend, and processed from respective raw files.
The MFT file should have more visible noise as it's pixels are more prone to shot noise and random effects since they're about 1/4 the area of the FF pixels and therefore collecting fewer photons given the same shutter speed and aperture on the same scene.
There's even more interfering with that too.. because each camera's ISO is not the same either.
That's why I prefer to look at the full SNR chart on DxOmarks' website as they correct for things like actual ISO.
That one chart tells me a LOT.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Assuming that the 6DII and the latest Olympus can produce comparable images, and that at least some photographers can be satisfied with the images that each produces, what are the choices? The cameras cost about the same. The Olympus is smaller and has some very neat features. The 6DII has an articulated screen and touchscreening focussing in Liveview, which at least some of us regard as pretty neat features.

I don't see a problem here folks.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
BillB said:

The 6DII is better, because I like it better. I used to use Olympus, but I've discovered that ABO is a much better choice. Everyone should have that choice, and anyone who chooses ABO will get better images and be happy.

Nope, no problem here...except one.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
neuroanatomist said:
BillB said:

The 6DII is better, because I like it better. I used to use Olympus, but I've discovered that ABO is a much better choice. Everyone should have that choice, and anyone who chooses ABO will get better images and be happy.

Nope, no problem here...except one.

Don't knock Aglet, he has good taste ;) He's just a little misguided as to where the priorities lie in photography :)

Upvote 0
They say converts are more evangelical and fundamentalist than other believers, and I think this thread is a good demonstration.

I'm comfortable in the photographic choices I've made, I don't feel the need to convert all others to my position. I recognise it's a compromise, and that everything is a compromise. And I've seen no evidence here or elsewhere that my life would be blissful if I chose different equipment in the same price range.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
scyrene said:
They say converts are more evangelical and fundamentalist than other believers, and I think this thread is a good demonstration.

I'm comfortable in the photographic choices I've made, I don't feel the need to convert all others to my position. I recognise it's a compromise, and that everything is a compromise. And I've seen no evidence here or elsewhere that my life would be blissful if I chose different equipment in the same price range.

HAHA! Yup!
I've converted to FOUR other systems after using Canon and, except for the latter, kept them all. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Aglet said:
scyrene said:

HAHA! Yup!
I've converted to FOUR other systems after using Canon and, except for the latter, kept them all. :)

That's your mistake, you see. Four whole systems to replace one Canon camera. And you say we are fools for staying with Canon! ;D

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Mikehit said:
Aglet said:
scyrene said:

HAHA! Yup!

That's your mistake, you see. Four whole systems to replace one Canon camera. And you say we are fools for staying with Canon! ;D

let's just say it's four times the luv ;D

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
The folks at The Camera Store in Calgary, Canada have completed their hands-on field test of the brand new Canon EOS 6D Mark II.</p>
<p><strong>Description:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>The original Canon 6D was the entry to full-frame shooting for many photographers, but it’s been getting a little long in the tooth. The new version brings a number of features from the excellent 80D, along with a controversial new sensor. Is the 6D series still a great entry point into full frame? Chris Niccolls and Jordan Drake went to shoot BTS of a commercial film shoot to find out!</p>

<p>Special thanks to DDG (www.ddg.tv) John Cameron (www.metaproductions.ca), and Dave Patrick at Jet1</p></blockquote>
<p>I generally think these guys are about the most honest reviewers out there and they have come away feeling the EOS 6D Mark II is a bit of a mixed bag. The feature set, usability and low light performance are to be commended, but the lack of 4K video and the lack of dynamic range improvement seem to be weighing heavily on this camera.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>
http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-firmware-update-coming-september-2017/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-firmware-update-coming-september-2017

Upvote 0
Point22 said:
Canon Rumors said:
The folks at The Camera Store in Calgary, Canada have completed their hands-on field test of the brand new Canon EOS 6D Mark II.</p>
<p><strong>Description:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>The original Canon 6D was the entry to full-frame shooting for many photographers, but it’s been getting a little long in the tooth. The new version brings a number of features from the excellent 80D, along with a controversial new sensor. Is the 6D series still a great entry point into full frame? Chris Niccolls and Jordan Drake went to shoot BTS of a commercial film shoot to find out!</p>

<p>Special thanks to DDG (www.ddg.tv) John Cameron (www.metaproductions.ca), and Dave Patrick at Jet1</p></blockquote>
<p>I generally think these guys are about the most honest reviewers out there and they have come away feeling the EOS 6D Mark II is a bit of a mixed bag. The feature set, usability and low light performance are to be commended, but the lack of 4K video and the lack of dynamic range improvement seem to be weighing heavily on this camera.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>
http://www.*********.com/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-firmware-update-coming-september-2017/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-firmware-update-coming-september-2017
********** = canon..........)))(((watch

Upvote 0
May I am a bit late to comment here, but I finally tested 6D Mk II for around 10 minutes.
Coming from a 6D user, I can immediately felt the improvement that have been done and delivered by Canon. Not sure about the dynamic range, but so far my 6D delivered the results I want, I assumed the new camera should perform similarly.
Great improve on the AF system, but still not wider / about the same than original.
As an 6D user, still looking at 5D Mark IV for my upgrade path.
Anyway, 6D Mark II still a great camera for a first full frame from Canon line.

Upvote 0