Here’s the upcoming Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM zooming in and out

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A lot of people were still holding out hope that the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM would have an internal zoom like its EF brother. Sometimes hope overpowers common sense.
In the above video at the 45-second mark (the video has been removed, below is a gif from the video), you can see the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM with an external zoom.

We expect the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM to be announced soon with availability coming in December.
thanks moshe

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2016
For me personally, the smaller dimensions when in its most compact mode is quite a good one. Also, I suspect improved focus due to the better communication the RF mount makes possible. IQ of the current 70-200 is already quite good; no complaints here.

My current EF is a II from 2010 and pretty beaten up, so a new one would not be a bad idea at all, but I do want to pair it with something better than the R.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Like I said in the other thread, it extends quite a bit, which is not surprising. Looks to be (at least) as long as the EF version when fully extended.

That said, its more compact profile once retracted could make a significant difference when transporting it. There have been times where I’ve decided against the EF 70-200 at certain events just because of its size. This might be one RF lens actually worth getting once in the system...

Now for IQ...(and the official announcement, of course)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I've held off on upgrading my OG 70-200 2.8L non-IS this long that I'm waiting to see if mirrorless is in my future at this point. I have no problem with my 5D Mark IV but I'd consider the transition to also give me the opportunity to start updating some of my older/well worn lenses that are limiting some of my options. I would love to have all three of these lenses, but I am not going to like the price I expect.

Upvote 0