Here’s what the anonymous grapevine has sent us over the 8 weeks

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
Anyone here with a strong remedy for a killer GAS virus?
Scientists of the University of Kwanon have made an important discovery in their quest to find a cure for the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).

The scientists discovered that Canon users can buy new Canon gear without any risk of aggravating the syndrome. Buying new Canon gear will, in the short to medium term, cause a significant improvement in the wellbeing of people afflicted with GAS. There appears to be a correlation between the duration of this improvement and the investment made in new Canon gear.

Soniko users, however, should abstain from acquiring any additional Soniko gear, since this will substantially increase the risk of worsening the symptoms of the Alpha-to-Z syndrome. Symptoms of the Alpha-to-Z syndrome include: severe dissatisfaction with life in general, extreme jealousy of people who use other camera brands, a habit of making unsubstantiated claims about the superiority of Soniko gear and a tendency to internet trolling.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.gmcphotographics.co.uk
personally on the DSLR side I always used a 7D and 5D side by side. Loved it.
The 7D had the camera body that the 5D needed and the only let down to the 7D was the sensor...which was the main point of the 5D...a superlative sensor. By the time of the 7DII and the 5DIII, the 5D series had the 7D series licked in most areas except reach.
These days the R5 is the camera which we measure everytihng against and the R7 is nice a camera but lacking in a lot of areas. It's more like an R70 than an R7 in concept.

I think by this time next month we will all be looking at our current camera body choices and considering our next round of upgrades.
I'm pretty happy with my R6ii and R8 combo...but...and R5ii might be my next big thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
Scientists of the University of Kwanon have made an important discovery in their quest to find a cure for the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).

The scientists discovered that Canon users can buy new Canon gear without any risk of aggravating the syndrome. Buying new Canon gear will, in the short to medium term, cause a significant improvement in the wellbeing of people afflicted with GAS. There appears to be a correlation between the duration of this improvement and the investment made in new Canon gear.

Soniko users, however, should abstain from acquiring any additional Soniko gear, since this will substantially increase the risk of worsening the symptoms of the Alpha-to-Z syndrome. Symptoms of the Alpha-to-Z syndrome include: severe dissatisfaction with life in general, extreme jealousy of people who use other camera brands, a habit of making unsubstantiated claims about the superiority of Soniko gear and a tendency to internet trolling.
Thank you so much Pr. van Visie!
This is the science-based medical advice I have been waiting for.
I feel I'm almost cured. And the RF 24-70 f2 Novartis pills will improve my condition even more!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
The 7D had the camera body that the 5D needed and the only let down to the 7D was the sensor...which was the main point of the 5D...a superlative sensor. By the time of the 7DII and the 5DIII, the 5D series had the 7D series licked in most areas except reach.
These days the R5 is the camera which we measure everytihng against and the R7 is nice a camera but lacking in a lot of areas. It's more like an R70 than an R7 in concept.

I think by this time next month we will all be looking at our current camera body choices and considering our next round of upgrades.
I'm pretty happy with my R6ii and R8 combo...but...and R5ii might be my next big thing.

I agree with regard to R5 vs R7. I find myself leaving the R7 at home most of the time I go bird watching. The shutter shock on the R7 sets off earthquake sensors in my state. I see the potential, but it's just not there to me. I barely prefer it over my 7Dii. I bring my R7 when I'm doing pelagic birding and reeeally need the extra reach, or raptor watching where they may be too far up. In those cases it's solid.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

yankiefrankie

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 10, 2020
No RF-S lenses? I recall a few in the rumors a couple of months ago, like a 16-60. Has Canon totally abandoned that market to the third parties (but only if Canon approves what they want to make)?
I am fine with Canon leaving the APS-C to third parties. Canon was never going to produce any weather-sealed APS-C lenses even if the optical quality was stellar. Better to let Sigma and Tamron do it while Canon focuses on full-frame.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
I agree with regard to R5 vs R7. I find myself leaving the R7 at home most of the time I go bird watching. The shutter shock on the R7 sets off earthquake sensors in my state. I see the potential, but it's just not there to me. I barely prefer it over my 7Dii. I bring my R7 when I'm doing pelagic birding and reeeally need the extra reach, or raptor watching where they may be too far up. In those cases it's solid.
Interesting to hear numerous similar opinions of the R5 and R7. I have had both cameras, but get better results with the R7 than the R5 (which I have actually bought used twice, thinking it would replace the R7). I don't need high FPS, so keep it set on H rather than H+, and on Elec First Curtain which seems to avoid both shutter shock and rolling shutter issues. Definitely got more keepers with the R7 than the R5, which really struggled with any birds in flight if not against the sky, at least in my experience. Needless to say, we all have different situations, approaches, techniques, settings, etc, so not surprising we get different results.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
Well not a perfect one but there might be one in the future: You can get R1, R5II and R7II when available. Get some new lenses too and you will be GAS free for some time. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My cure will be one body and one (two?) lens-es.
This will calm my GAS for some time.
But I must say some sheduled lenses are really juicy, especially the 24-70 F2 and the 14-35 F2,8!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
personally on the DSLR side I always used a 7D and 5D side by side. Loved it.
Well yeah I should have limited my message to the modern mirrorless cameras.

I think in DSLR days a 5D series didn't give us as much cropping potential and high speed shooting.
But today a new R5II could just about cover any use case for an R7, so why not try to get a cake of the wildlife cropping people, before actually giving them an R7II

Upvote 0
I tend to bring my R7 when I want to scare potential predators away. That shutter sounds like I'm watching a WW2 movie in the viewfinder.

Currently using an R6 for portraits and stuff and an R7 for reach.
I'm excited for what the R5II brings to the table and planning on switching to a single camera.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
I don't see why Quad pixel would be necessary. It could be still dual pixel with some pixels being split vertically and some horizontally. Why bother with twice the data. Or should I file a patent? :D
You could try to file such a patent, but you’d need to get around Canon’s prior art.

IMG_6601.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
Thank you so much Pr. van Visie!
This is the science-based medical advice I have been waiting for.
I feel I'm almost cured. And the RF 24-70 f2 Novartis pills will improve my condition even more!
You’re welcome, the research does not say anything about Leica gear, so you’ll have to conduct your own research (your wife permitting;)).

• Haha
Upvote 0