Here’s what the anonymous grapevine has sent us over the 8 weeks

Jan 11, 2016
It has also been mentioned numerous times that the EOS R1 will get a development announcement and will be present in Paris for the Summer Games. This is the same way that Canon launched the EOS R3 and that went pretty well.
This would be later than what Canon has historically done with 1-series cameras since the 1DX. Retail availability for the 1DX, 1DX2, and 1DX3 has consistently been before the start of the Olympics, and not months after, so in some sense, the "R1" is already quite late. Does line-up with the delays that were reported though.

FWIW, if they follow R3's timeline (development announcement in April 2021, camera launch in September, first batch shipped after Thanksgiving), then we will not expect any shipments for R1 until December.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
You’re welcome, the research does not say anything about Leica gear, so you’ll have to conduct your own research (your wife permitting;)).
My wife permitting?
You've just spoiled my evening...:(
On the other hand, leica M lenses are so small the can go undetected by familiar spies, unlike the monstrous Canon Rfs. .

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
My cure will be one body and one (two?) lens-es.
This will calm my GAS for some time.
But I must say some sheduled lenses are really juicy, especially the 24-70 F2 and the 14-35 F2,8!
Since I have RF24-70 2.8 and RF14-35 4 and RF15-35 I feel immune to the two lenses above.

Now R5II is a totally different matter :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 4, 2020
I am fine with Canon leaving the APS-C to third parties. Canon was never going to produce any weather-sealed APS-C lenses even if the optical quality was stellar. Better to let Sigma and Tamron do it while Canon focuses on full-frame.
I said the exact same thing a couple of years ago. Canon should let the third parties make APS-C lenses, since they have lots of experience and great designs, and Canon doesn't seem interested in making them.

My problem is that Canon still seems to be keeping the third party lens manufacturers on a tight leash. Or maybe I think that because nothing they've announced thus far really interests me.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
I agree with regard to R5 vs R7. I find myself leaving the R7 at home most of the time I go bird watching. The shutter shock on the R7 sets off earthquake sensors in my state. I see the potential, but it's just not there to me. I barely prefer it over my 7Dii. I bring my R7 when I'm doing pelagic birding and reeeally need the extra reach, or raptor watching where they may be too far up. In those cases it's solid.
You have to work around the idiosyncrasies of any camera. For the R7, use ES and you won't get any shutter shock. You can avoid rolling shutter and shutter shock by using fast shutter speeds where appropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting to hear numerous similar opinions of the R5 and R7. I have had both cameras, but get better results with the R7 than the R5 (which I have actually bought used twice, thinking it would replace the R7). I don't need high FPS, so keep it set on H rather than H+, and on Elec First Curtain which seems to avoid both shutter shock and rolling shutter issues. Definitely got more keepers with the R7 than the R5, which really struggled with any birds in flight if not against the sky, at least in my experience. Needless to say, we all have different situations, approaches, techniques, settings, etc, so not surprising we get different results.
Maybe we are using different lenses or something but I find the AF of the R5 for BIF better than that of the R7. My R5 rarely, if ever, struggles with AF for BIF with the RF 100-500mm - it continues to amaze me with its speed of acquiring spot-on focus and then tracking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
I really hope they release a strong FF compact, with 28mm F2 lens, more Ricoh GR than X100V, i.e. modern, sleek, an interface like the EOS cameras.
- Give it proper weather sealing and I am in. (I would buy a Ricoh GR that is properly sealed in a heart-beat.)
- Stellar AF is guaranteed and if I can dream I would like a flash.
- Give it super fast sensor neither no OIS nor IBIS to avoid moving parts.

Voilà we have the perfect always-on-you camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I really hope they release a strong FF compact, with 28mm F2 lens, more Ricoh GR than X100V, i.e. modern, sleek, an interface like the EOS cameras.
- Give it proper weather sealing and I am in. (I would buy a Ricoh GR that is properly sealed in a heart-beat.)
- Stellar AF is guaranteed and if I can dream I would like a flash.
- Give it super fast sensor neither no OIS nor IBIS to avoid moving parts.

Voilà we have the perfect always-on-you camera.
Hmm no, not on me :)
The above are very specific niche requirements. A good phone would cover that as an 'always on me' camera.

Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
I used the R5 and a rented R7 side by side for a week and the difference in focus accuracy made my decide to not buy the R7. I sold my R5 a few months ago and bought an R7 as a stop gap 'reach' body to complement my R8 and the difference is even starker in that case.
Avoiding H+ helps, but while I get a better percentage of properly focusses pictures, the R8 still beats it both relatively and absolutely. 40fps with a better than 90% hit rate vs 15 fps with an 80% hit rate. But when the R7 does focus properly, the 'reach' compared to the R8 is incredible. YMMV of course!

I'm 99% certain I'm going to sell that R7 when I get a shipment notification for the R5II, I think my pictures will improve more by using that money for trips and workshops :)

I have never considered the R7 to be a "7D"

in my mind, a 7D series camera body to augment a R5 would have the same ergonomic layout, AF, etc, and could be easily used side by side.

I primarily used it for reach as well, but it depends if the R5 Mark II is a > 60mp sensor or something the need for an R7 unless the R5 was incredibly slow becomes moot.

Thinking a bit about it more, with crop mode on the cameras and the ability of the EVF to respond to that crop mode adjustment, you could with a high enough MP full frame camera, literally mimic a high performance crop camera as well. It would need to be around 78 or 80MP though. We just haven't gotten to that point yet.

Upvote 0