Here are the specifications for the Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM Macro

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Your money, do you.

For me, I shot the Rokinon RF AF 14mm f2.8 and had no complaints with the AF.

So if the 85mm Rokinion is anything close to that performance of the 14mm version, I will much rather the 85mm f1.4 non-IS Rokinon over the f2 IS Canon especially considering the body has builtin IS.

Maybe if the body didn't have IS, my opinion may have been different.

If there isn't much price difference the Rokinon is my choice. But price is yet to be announced, so I await pricing.

Thanks MaX C for your reply and explanation.

Yes, you make a valid point that the R5 has IBIS, so the Canon RF 85mm STM's IS is not such a deal-maker.

I will definitely consider the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 as an option. I have the Rokinon 12mm f/2 on my M5, and it is very good optically (but obviously a fully manual lens).

Regards

PJ

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Owning my EF 85 1.8 has been extremely cost-effective. I can't see this lens performing well enough for me to justify upgrading. That said, to have IS in a short telephoto would be nice, so, maybe?? I really don't want to buy lower-end lenses anymore. I'd rather invest in the best and keep it for 20 years.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Keep in mind that we do not no how well and under what circumstances the IBIS works. It may be a good experience for RF lenses only, for example.

Cheers, Joules... (y)

Yes, precisely, we do not (yet) know how effective Canon's IBIS is (particularly as this is the first production IBIS, and it's coming out in a few days, in their new mirrorless FF bodies) ;)

That's why I wrote that for me, IS in a lens is still a plus [but potentially not as big a plus - as it would have been if the R5 (and R6) don't have IBIS]. I currently have my sights on the R5, and the RF 85mm f/2 STM is a prime I could see myself getting also. :giggle:

I look forward to doing some testing myself (prior to a possible purchase) - of the R5 and R6 with various RF mount lenses. o_O

Regards

PJ

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
I personally feel that the R6 is going to be the better fit for my needs. (I really have zero use for 8k video considering the storage and editing complications)

I think the increased speed of the R6 with this macro lens is going to work really well, but, am going to have to do some real world tests before I can sell the EOS R ahead of time. Which is kind of a bummer.

Luckily this lens is priced so that has become less of a concern, unless the whole setup is a failure.

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2020
I personally feel that the R6 is going to be the better fit for my needs. (I really have zero use for 8k video considering the storage and editing complications)

I think the increased speed of the R6 with this macro lens is going to work really well, but, am going to have to do some real world tests before I can sell the EOS R ahead of time. Which is kind of a bummer.

Luckily this lens is priced so that has become less of a concern, unless the whole setup is a failure.
The R6 would be better fit for my wallet as well, given the rumored price is close. And due to its spec it has to be cheaper than the R5 I am pretty sure.

Upvote 0
For the rare few who have the 85 F2, care to share your experiences? I ended up getting the Samyang 85 and have actually enjoyed it a lot. On the EOS R - quick focus, decent enough bokeh, sharp images.

I have to say that I do really like the images off my first session. Really smooth bokeh and quite good to handle. Haven't used its macro capabilities yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I love 85mm, but I've never loved my EF 85 1.8. My copy is not super sharp, even stopped down, and the lack of IS means I have to keep the shutter higher, negating some of the speed.
I must have been lucky with my copy. I bought it when refurbs were on sale. Before that, I was using the 100mm macro for portraits and didn't care for the look, though I really like the lens for macros and as a small telephoto. The 85mm exceeded my expectations, so I use it more than I had anticipated. As a portrait lens, I used it today to make a video of my singing something they will incorporate into a virtual choir for Sunday. That range of focal lengths puts full frame cameras a good distance so facial features look natural.

As for the RF, I can't imagine that f/2 will be that different from an f/1.8 per se.

Upvote 0