Here is the Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Yes. It’s easy enough to get ND behind shallow mounts. E and FZ, which are both shallower, are the native mount on the Fs7 series and F55/5, respectively. And as was mentioned, the “FF” Venice has an E mount and a dual tray 0-8 stop ND system.

And technically on the Venice, the E mount isn’t swappable, at least in the conventional sense. It’s actually located beneath the removeable PL mount. You could say it’s the native mount of the camera and almost say it’s the base mount, but the PL mount doesn’t actually attach to it/in it. It bolts-on around it/over it.

Upvote 0
If these are really the frame rates Canon has another missed opportunity on its hands. This is little more than an updated full frame C200. C400 would be a more accurate name. I would rather have had s35 and 4K 120fps+. 2k 120fps is fine in something like a 1dx2, and not a camera like this. I really hope this is wrong. The big push to full frame is over rated and overhyped. But maybe enough people will buy into that hype. “But” it’s full Frame!”, and cheap!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
So no DPAF? Do I understand that correctly?

I can't help but wonder if it's time for Canon to ditch DPAF on its stills cameras. I've read the DPAF is what's preventing the full frame 4k on its DSLRs. Too much data to process. I don't know if that's the case, but it would make sense.
where do you get this from. it has a 1 shot af button on the front like all the rest. the c700 has it and it is full frame.

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
The biggest issue I see with this camera are the codecs and the over cranking. I own a C200 and I'm getting tired of these massive file sizes. I thought I'd be fine with it, but it's too much. I've been shooting with an Alexa over the past month and I don't see the need for Raw at all. I feel like Canon chose Raw not because it's a benefit, but because it's the easier route. The camera doesn't have to compress and process the image, and therefore, it's easier to engineer. You'd think that it would mean Canon could over crank easier, but no. Their slow motion sucks. Anything over 60 on the C200 is completely unusable. It looks like muted, washed out mush. Canon has never considered over cranking a priority to filmmakers.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
With the updated specs, this is seeming more like the C700FF Lite with the biggest feature being internal RAW recording. (the CR specs are a little iffy on whether 5.9k full frame is recorded internally to the CFExpress or not). If so, then this would repair some of the complaints (mine) about the C700 in that it required extremely expensive Codex hardware to record any kind of raw. Sure, some folks will go on and on about the BMPFCC (F added by me) -- but that's not "really" a video/cinema camera. This feature set would be a first for cameras in this category, coming on the heels of the Alexa Mini LF with its less earthbound recording media. This camera is aimed at that. What bugs me is the Red like "module" structure...meaning the camera isn't going to be as slick out of the box as a Canon usually is. Canon has never been known to follow up with accessories that improve functionality of their cameras, and this seems like a way of stripping down a C700, only to require the user to build it back up for the same price. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
What bugs me is the Red like "module" structure...meaning the camera isn't going to be as slick out of the box as a Canon usually is. Canon has never been known to follow up with accessories that improve functionality of their cameras, and this seems like a way of stripping down a C700, only to require the user to build it back up for the same price. Time will tell.

I would feel the same way other than the fact that I'v already invested in a bunch of different Canon modules and batteries. I mean it isn't great to be locked into an eco system, but I am happy that Canon letting modules be used on different cameras.

Upvote 0
If the rumors are true, Canon might start by putting 8K in the C300 first either for engineering reasons, such as ease in meeting processing requirements or overall ease of implementation, or because it is aiming for a specific market niche or price point.
Perhaps, but there's probably too much money to be made milking people at the intermediate 6K step for Canon to skip it and go straight to 8K.

Upvote 0
I own a lot of canon gear and I see these current specs and can’t help but think hello Panasonic s1h. If there is no 4,5or5.9k 120 then this will flop. Until you give us a reason to switch from red, Arri, Sony or Panasonic this will be a non starter. Why switch from my massive CRL files to even bigger files and shitty slow mo. This is another attempt to not cannibalize one of their cameras. The lack of compression choices for raw we have learned is due to red getting a monopoly patent on codecs, this could be why canon has shit slomotion. My local rental house has not rented either of their 2 c700s. Which according to them next to no one has rented their c700s. I love canon but they are lazy and so behind when it comes to innovation. The sensor in this is a 1dxmkii sensor, it’s a great sensor but come on, take a risk. Stop repurposing. And yes I know this has bells and whistles the s1h doesn’t but that will sell and this will not unless it has more frame rate choices and more compression choices.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
The lack of compression choices for raw we have learned is due to red getting a monopoly patent on codecs, this could be why canon has shit slomotion.
Well Blaclk Magic Raw is open sourced so Canon could use that and I would suggest should use it, but of course won't. But beyond that there is nothing preventing Canon from developing their own codecs with compression, they don't have to use Red's. But as some one still s[rewed by Canons CR3 stills file format where they wouldn't release the format to companies that make photo editing software so few support it yet, I am leary of Canon doing things in house. I really hope more companies embrace BM Raw.

Upvote 0
But beyond that there is nothing preventing Canon from developing their own codecs with compression, they don't have to use Red's.

Canon already has developed their own compressed codecs. They have both Canon Raw Lite and various forms of H.264. The C300 MKII even has a 12bit 444 RGB format that was just as robust as the compressed RAW formats. And then there is ProRes RAW available with Atomos.

Canon's weakness will probably always be high frame rates at high resolutions at cheap prices. Some day, Sony will be shooting 16K at 1000fps and Canon will only be able to shoot 16k at 600 fps and we will still be seeing posts about Canon being doomed because they are crippling their cameras.

Upvote 0