Here is the Canon EOS R3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This one comes as a bit of a surprise. I have been thinking that we might get a development announcement for a flagship RF mount body sometime before the Tokyo Games this summer, but here we are.
This is the Canon EOS R3 and I currently do not have any specifications for this camera body. If it is indeed for a development announcement, we won’t have specifications for quite some time.

Ey0ZzL4VgAAd2Ns-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:

TBRO08

EOS 550D
Apr 7, 2021
Based on the name it´s fairly likely that this isn´t Canon´s ace up their sleeve yet, they wouldn´t abandon the flagship 1 line like this. They´d probably keep the naming scheme and make the R7 the APSC model, This is probably more of a filler camera for now, with specs more similar to an enhanced R5 or R6 than having QPAF or a Global Shutter. One thing to note however is the camera feels nearly DSLR size based on the picture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is another source of rumor about the spec. All speculation for now.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
This doesn't look like a believable rendering to me. Something about the R3 logo and the grip just seem off to me. If it is real, I would like to know the specifications and price to see if there is any role it could serve, as I'm looking to buy a second R5 body.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Interesting....my first thought is that it is very pretty. My second thought is calling it a 3 series is a way to make the 1DxMkIII owners feel less bad about the short supremacy cycle for that camera. So with this camera at $7k, that leaves room for a $10k 1 series. The new Canon pricing is grand. Actually many grand!

-Brian
(for those who may not know, in the US 'a grand' is a slang term for one thousand dollars)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This doesn't look like a believable rendering to me. Something about the R3 logo and the grip just seem off to me. If it is real, I would like to know the specifications and price to see if there is any role it could serve, as I'm looking to buy a second R5 body.
It comes from Nokishita, they're pretty reliable.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Interesting....my first thought is that it is very pretty. My second thought is calling it a 3 series is a way to make the 1DxMkIII owners feel less bad about the short supremacy cycle for that camera. So with this camera at $7k, that leaves room for a $10k 1 series. The new Canon pricing is grand. Actually many grand!

-Brian
(for those who may not know, in the US 'a grand' is a slang term for one thousand dollars)
The Canon Design Emotional Engineering Team...I'm having 2nd thoughts about your 2nd thought

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Interesting! I was not expecting Canon to release a R3 body as a professional (integrated grip) design. Will be interesting to see its features. I would be content if it has 45+ MP sensor, quad pixel AF, and an ultra-fast stacked sensor. A global shutter would be phenomenal! I assume the development announcement will be similar to Nikon's where they given video resolution specs and some idea on the new sensor. My only question is will they now make a EOS R1 body? Is there really a market for two pro-grade an expensive bodies?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Yeah I think a lot of people are missing that this is a leaked early development announcement rendering picture, I doubt Canon would change the grip material much unless they found a way to make it even more gripper or better for the user. I'm sure in person this camera will look just amazing.

I think bbasiaga is on the money here. Canon probably had to reevaluate how they would handle the 1Dx Mark III existing with the R3 at the same time.

I also think Canon can tell that the market is moving towards high-res, high-speed, and probably wanted to make a camera line for the professionals who wouldn't normally be buying a mirrorless camera. I do think that means that the R3 will not be a hugely high-res blockbuster, but instead a tried and true camera built for speed. The most important thing for 1d users is reliability, so that might be the focus here.

I would guess that if and when the R1 comes out, the R1 would be a camera that totally breaks the mold in ways that current pros might be hesitant to jump into at first. That said, no one said the R3 can't be 45 megapixels. I expect 24 mp, but if 8k is just where we're at right now, 45 mp might soon be "normal" resolution, and then the R1 could be upwards of 80mp.

I hate to compare lineups, but I'd say the R3 name makes sense as an A9 competitor, and the eventual R1 could be more of a A1 competitor. I could be wrong, but I think Canon is very aware of the importance of the 1 series name.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0