Here is the Canon EOS R3

Is this a new tier. We have the RP, R, R5, R6 and presumably the R1 so what purpose/role does a R3 fit? Super high megapixel camera?
Back in film days, there was an EOS 3 that sat between the 5 and the 1 series. Back in the early digital days, the big question on everyone's lips was "where's the EOS 3D?", and I was only thinking the other day that the time might be right for an R3. Think there's certainly room for a high speed body and a high res body above the R5, for instance.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think it's interesting that it is an integrated body and that it is shown with the 24-70mm L lens in the photo. I think that it is likely to be a supercharged R6. It will have the 20mp sensor and have two processors, and it will be a fps beast for Olympics. The 1dx iii only has 20mp and it has been the sports workhorse. I wonder if they will price it like the 1dx iii since they are phasing out all the lenses. It will take over that slot and sell for $6500. That will essentially kill the Canon DSLR.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Back in film days, there was an EOS 3 that sat between the 5 and the 1 series. Back in the early digital days, the big question on everyone's lips was "where's the EOS 3D?", and I was only thinking the other day that the time might be right for an R3. Think there's certainly room for a high speed body and a high res body above the R5, for instance.
did the 3 really sit between though? I was always under the impression that it was the upscale successor of the 5 as I never saw them available simultaneously.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Sigh... I expected Canon would make the R1 as a flagship camera with this huge body, but I also hope that they'll make an R3 in a R5-ish body, packed with technology, priced as the R1/1D series for those who don't want a huge camera but still want the best tech available.
And if they give a couple of them to youtubers (who would love them instantly) it would be one of the best advertisement and would help them to sell even their cheaper cameras.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I still use mine.

Upvote 0
Taking out my calipers and applying them to the YMCinema pics and comparing the filter diameters of the two lenses, both 24-70/2.8, the Canon is a larger camera, by approximately 10 per cent. Both lenses have 82 mm filter diameters. My computer screen measurements were 49.88 mm for the Nikon and 45.31 the Canon. Take the numbers to the right of the decimal with a bit of salt.

And, by the way, the second lens pictured sure appears to be a 600/4.

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
Nokishita also tweeted a couple of photos purporting to be the RF 400mm f2.8 and 600mm f/4:

However, they simply appear to be photoshopped copies of the Mark III versions of EF 400 f/2.8L and 600mm f/4L, with an EF to R adapter connected (no Control Ring, colored silver). In fact, there's no Control Ring at all on the lenses, so I'm calling BS, at least for the lenses.

See the photos on B&H for comparison:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433721-REG/canon_ef_400mm_f_2_8l_is.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1433722-REG/canon_ef_600mm_f_4l_is.html?sts=hist-pi&pim=Y

Upvote 0
Yep my EOS 3 film camera is fun to play with, especially with the autofocus that tries to work out what you’re looking at. And there were rumours about a 3D, which was always interesting. But how would this sit between the R5 and R1? Photocentric? I’m keen to see it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0