Here is the Canon EOS R3

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I like it!

And yeah, I just bought an R5, so I'm hoping this is NOT the camera of my dreams--whatever that would be.

I always bought my R5 as a replacement for my 5D mark III, not as a replacement for my 1DX mark II, so I'm not very offended by the possibility of this coming out so soon after.

No matter the specs, I don't think this will render the R5 obsolete or outdated. I love that the R5 is such a small, portable option that still kicks major butt at 20 FPS and 45 megapixels, there's quite literally almost nothing you can't do with 45 mp and 20 FPS in a package smaller than a 5D! Even when I pick up the R3, the R5 will remain as my primary travel/daily camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
IMO they are mirroring what they did with the R5/R6!. The R3 will be cheaper with "less" specs like the R6, then the R1 will come out with all the bells and whistles with the added value, like the R5!!!!!
Yes, this might be just the first of the pair to leak. I would likely take it over the R1 if it was more capable video wise. While I shoot both stills and video, I shoot more video than stills these days.

Upvote 0
Canon always had superior ergonomics (well let's not talk about the R here though) and I'm glad to see they continue this path.
I just got the R5 and I actually think the R feels a little better in-hand. I'm not complaining, but the R5 is thicker in a funny way that pushes the on/off switch and mode dial into the body a little. And the thumb rest is a little cramped compared to the R. The better controls are certainly welcome....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How is the timeline relevant? Yeah the 5 was from 92 and the 3 in 98. It sits in between, it just wasn't launched as such. The nitpicking here is world class.
I keep wondering where those people were when my kid had head lice. Could've used some help. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Do mirrorless cameras need to be so ugly and big? Looking into its texture, it looks like a camera for a fishermen :)
I think it looks great so whatever dude. And big is good unless you have tiny hands. Have you ever held or used a Sony.? They are so uncomfortable to hold and use the controls because they are way too small and have hard angles on the body. The R5 is a nice compromise and about as small as I would ever go, I’m glad that didn’t make that any more compact. 5Dmk4 was very comfortable and easy to reach controls. When bodies are small you have to cramp up fingers to use the controls because they are too close together and the grips are to shallow or short. Like for instance on the Sony there’s no place to rest your pinkie finger. That gets tired when shooting fir long periods.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I always bought my R5 as a replacement for my 5D mark III, not as a replacement for my 1DX mark II, so I'm not very offended by the possibility of this coming out so soon after.

No matter the specs, I don't think this will render the R5 obsolete or outdated. I love that the R5 is such a small, portable option that still kicks major butt at 20 FPS and 45 megapixels, there's quite literally almost nothing you can't do with 45 mp and 20 FPS in a package smaller than a 5D! Even when I pick up the R3, the R5 will remain as my primary travel/daily camera.
Yeah I agree, the R5 lacks nothing for my puposes. And it's nice to see kick-ass, more-than-I-need bodies come out--it raises the 'cachet' for all their cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Back in film days, there was an EOS 3 that sat between the 5 and the 1 series. Back in the early digital days, the big question on everyone's lips was "where's the EOS 3D?", and I was only thinking the other day that the time might be right for an R3. Think there's certainly room for a high speed body and a high res body above the R5, for instance.
I owned an EOS 3. Great camera though the eye-controlled focus never worked for me. It did not have an integrated vertical grip.

Upvote 0