Here is the Canon EOS R3

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
One of the most exciting observations to me, take a look at the area to the right of the shutter button.

On the R3, the grip looks like it sticks out the same distance, but that the rest of the body is flat immediately following the grip. Whereas on the 1DX mark III, the EF mount's mirrorbox makes this area continue to stick out. I'd bet that the R3 is significantly thinner than the 1DX mark III, but that the grip simply sticks out more from the camera to give you an even bigger/identical grip to the 1DX mark III.

This grip looks nothing like the R5's grip, which is very nice on its own, but instead looks like a full-fledged 1D with the large overhang for your pointer finger.

You can also tell that overall, the lens mount of the camera was moved slightly more towards the grip-side, giving you more room for your fingers when using a big fat lens. That's a huge plus over Sony ergonomics, which squish your fingers into big lenses.

This looks like it will be an absolute pleasure to handle.
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 2.53.30 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
My theory is that the segmentation is changing. 1DX used to be both for sport & wildlife shooters and the flagship simultaneously. From the looks of the R3, maybe this targets the sport and wildlife shooters. Built like a tank - maybe no variangle screen, big battery, maybe speed prioritized over resolution. That would let R1 be the flagship and get the kitchen sink.

The R3 body texture fits the suitability for sport. It has golf ball like dimples. So who knows, maybe it's for aerodynamic purposes. It'd be the camera you use to jump out of plane with, mount it outside on motorsport, or you can probably get more distance when you tee the body up on the driving range. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Are we mostly in agreement that this is a sports-focused stopgap until the R1 debuts in a year or two? Can’t imagine anything else, given the grip (sports/journalism) and the fact it isn’t named “R1,” which should designate the highest end body.
I certainly don't have any inside information or special insight, but the 1 designation has long been used for high speed relatively low resolution cameras, and I don't see why that would change. My guess is that the R1 that eventually comes out will be a very fast, relatively low resolution camera with a universal shutter, and this R3 will be the super high resolution camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I don't understand why buyer's of 1DXIII will feel buyer's remorse a new mirrorless camera. the 1DXIII by no means is a slouch. It id still a phenomenal camera no matter what is released. Competition is pretty stiff and extending market cycles of technology doesn't make sense. At least that's not sony or any of the smartphones game plan.
Pros don't like changing their gear frequently because getting used to new gear or technology takes time and effort, which is a luxury for a busy professional.
Don't think it would matter if they release an R1 now as it would sell just the same. those who can afford it would get it in a heart beat.
There has been much fervor about this on the 'net. "I just bought my 1DKMkIII and now an R1 is coming...Canon screwed me.' type stuff. As with anything on the internet, it certainly is possible its a vocal minority. But I also think Canon, like Sony, Apple and everyone else, likes to maintain a relatively predictable product cycle. And the 1DXmkIII would have been much shorter than standard. Its not about 'extending' the cycle, as much as it is about maintaining the cycle. You can count on a new iPhone model every year, but the first time they shorten it to 6 months, someone (or many someone's) may get ticked off. Certainly with the retirement of the EF mount, all bets may be off this time around.

-Brian

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I certainly don't have any inside information or special insight, but the 1 designation has long been used for high speed relatively low resolution cameras, and I don't see why that would change. My guess is that the R1 that eventually comes out will be a very fast, relatively low resolution camera with a universal shutter, and this R3 will be the super high resolution camera.

I could see this happening, but it's curious that the R3 has a vertical grip where the previous high-rez body, the 5DS, did not. The R3 form implies sports/journalism use, which is the same as the R1.

Will sports/journalism users eventually have to choose between an R1 (high speed, lower rez) and an R3 (high speed, higher rez) that are actually much the same? I would be uncomfortable investing in an R3 if I anticipated that an R1 is coming, and uncomfortable buying an R1 if it's much the same as an R3 except lower resolution.

These compromises would leave me dissatisfied :unsure:

Alternative idea: the R3 is the 7DII successor, with a 28 MP crop sensor (scaled down from the R5 chip) with ultra-fast readout, MSRP comes in at $2800. Canon uses the R3 to test technology they eventually want in the R1, which debuts in a year or two. Everyone wins.

Upvote 0
I’ll take a crack at it.

R3 would imply a set up to the R5. So not just a high MP body or something like that, and since when is a double grip for a more landscape oriented camera? Unless it is somehow for fashion. But generally a series high than the5 series and the double grip would imoly better performance and probably sports due to the higher battery capacity and power it can usually deliver. A bigger body also implies better cooling and the function buttons in the front would imply quick access to features which is also a speed aspect of the camera.

I would go as far as to say that perhaps it is a camera to complete with the A1 and Z9 To be honest. it what about the R1 some would say? Well how about the R3 being the 1DXIII like MILC, while the new R1 flagship series would be an insanely expensive top of the line never seem before global shutter camera that would cater to those who can afford 10-30k investment in a camera system?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I’ll take a crack at it.

R3 would imply a set up to the R5. So not just a high MP body or something like that, and since when is a double grip for a more landscape oriented camera? Unless it is somehow for fashion. But generally a series high than the5 series and the double grip would imoly better performance and probably sports due to the higher battery capacity and power it can usually deliver. A bigger body also implies better cooling and the function buttons in the front would imply quick access to features which is also a speed aspect of the camera.

I would go as far as to say that perhaps it is a camera to complete with the A1 and Z9 To be honest. it what about the R1 some would say? Well how about the R3 being the 1DXIII like MILC, while the new R1 flagship series would be an insanely expensive top of the line never seem before global shutter camera that would cater to those who can afford 10-30k investment in a camera system?
its the high res instagram version... thats why it has the double grip.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0