Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Like everyone else here, I don't know the camera's dynamic range, so I couldn't talk about that. Sales and other taxes in the USA are too low to be of note, so I didn't feel that taxes were worth discussing. So I talked about what I know: grammar (not "dialect"). Believe me, I am very liberal on grammar, and especially on those typographical errors which might appear to be grammar errors, but are not. But when an error is so egregious that it nearly blinds me, I sometimes feel constrained to mention it. Especially when it's in bold type in a headline.
What's "proper" can vary be region, English classes aside. ;) Things are pretty casual around here. I do understand the obsession though.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Again, I'm completely with you on this. I think the confusion happened here.

If we're talking about subject movement here then the lens focal length and whether or not it's on a tripod are completely irrelevant. The statement reads like you're talking about motion blur due to camera shake. Fair enough though if you meant subject motion.

It will be really interested to see how much these lenses cost, how sharp they are, and how much they weigh. If they're a combination of two from: incredibly sharp, very lightweight, sub-$2K; then I can still see them being extremely popular.
Ok. Took a while but we nutted it out. It's always the problem with forums or social media. No one ever writes a 3 page essay at the start to alleviate the confusion. We know in our own heads what we mean but 5 or 6 sentences are rarely enough to clarify things.

Upvote 0
My poor English :)
I meant that they’ve been doing both. They’ve released only the most used lenses for professionals (holy trinity, 85 f/1.2, 50/1.2 and 24-105) which makes sense – we want the most used lenses to be native.
But they’ve been also releasing completely new designs instead of producing those “middle-used” lenses such as macro, fish eyes, f/4’s etc. We can use those with adapters and canon can focus on something more interesting to attract new people or to give us something new.
I don’t even think that the fast long lenses should be a priority now. They’re long and expensive anyway so the adaptor doesn’t make a significant difference in terms of size or price.
The only issue with not having native big whites is the strength of the adaptor and especially if TCs are used. Using the adaptor can be an advantage with CPL/ND options of course. Having RF:EF TCs makes sense to me to avoid this issue of double stacking.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Ouch! Here are the Canon EOS R5 and the Canon EOS R6...

So I talked about what I know: grammar (not "dialect"). Believe me, I am very liberal on grammar, and especially on those typographical errors which might appear to be grammar errors, but are not. But when an error is so egregious that it nearly blinds me, I sometimes feel constrained to mention it. Especially when it's in bold type in a headline.

Egregious? What are you talking about? There is nothing wrong with the grammar in the title.

Rule 1: There Is

When the first noun in the series is singular or non-count, use there is.

• There is a book and a pen in my bag.
  • There is a computer, a whiteboard, and an overhead projector in the classroom.

There Is vs. There Are With a Series of Items

When you’re making a list of things, sometimes there are sounds wrong:

There are a kitchen, a living room, and a bedroom in my apartment.

There are sounds bad because the noun that follows it, kitchen, is singular. Even though you’re really talking about multiple things, (a kitchen, a living room, a bedroom), it’s often better to use the singular verb is in a construction like this.

There is a kitchen, a living room, and a bedroom in my apartment.

Some language commentators still insist on using are in sentences like this despite the awkwardness, but actual usage is extremely mixed.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You keep saying this, but they were pre-announced by Canon, and they are on various Canon web sites, with pictures. They are RF Extenders, not adapters. Easy to find with just the minimum of effort.
I do because there is nothing to confirm that it isn't and there are reasonable reasons to say that they are RF:EF.
You say that they were pre-announced and they were as RF extenders. The size does appear to be the same as current extenders but there is nothing that I can see to say that the optics are the same as current TCs but with a RF mount. It could be possible that the optics are different. I can't find a cut-through picture of the current TC showing the lens within the mount. Is there a patent for an optical formula that is different to the current TCs?
Can you say what lens these RF extenders will be used on? 100-500mm is the logical possibility but the max aperture is roughly the same as the 600/800mm f11 lens so potentially it would compete with them rather than selling more lenses.
I'm happy to be wrong but it doesn't make sense for what they will be used for. It would be more obvious if they were released at the same time as a 300/500mm big white.

Upvote 0
I wasn’t aware that they might be able to swap out the end plate on those vIIIs for RF active communications. That’s pretty cool. Might have to upgrade my vII 600 f4 if that proves to be the easiest approach. That would make the RF to RF extenders usable with no additional adapter. That would be worth it.
That is an interesting approach... not the release of new lenses but announce a program where Canon can retrofit big whites for RF mount. That would make sense to go with new RF:RF TCs. Bundling in a control ring and maybe a drop in filter for CPL would be very flexible.
I don't have a 1Dx but this approach would be all-in. Either stay with existing EF big whites and use RF adapter and EF TCs for R5 as second body, or go native with RF all the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand what it’s measuring. I also understand that there is a very strong correlation between iso invariance and noise performance including at base iso. Those differences at base iso can be very difficult to measure and compare while invariance exaggerates the difference and makes it easier to compare trends across brands and models. If that isn’t helpful to you that’s fine. Others reading this may or may not get some benefit. YMMV.

'Correlation is not causation'. How exactly do you compare, using those graphs, different brands and camera models? In the graphs, they're basically all 0 at the base ISO.

How do we tell the difference, say, just by looking at this graph? Does 5DIV perform roughly the same as GFX100?

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Cha...ujiFilm GFX 100,Sony ILCE-7RM3,Sony ILCE-7RM4

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
But at 20 fps, that might still be ok.

That 20fps e-shutter combined with IBIS+IS working together makes me very curious on what the useable low end of shutters speeds will be for static subjects.
I really hope Canon will be adding the f/11 lenses to the R5 review bundle they send out to reviewers and brand ambassadors.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
But at 20 fps, that might still be ok.
Well. Yes. In theory even at 10%keeper rate you would get 2 keepers per second. Unfortunately since slave labor is something we dont employ you will have to trawl through all the images yourself to find the good ones. I think I'll bump the ISO and accept a bit of noise and less shots ;)

Upvote 0
Many birds will pose motionless, especially herons and egrets. Here in the U.S., warblers are a colorful and constantly moving/feeding group of birds. You need a fast shutter speed for them. I don’t own a super-telephoto...can’t afford it and to carry the Lens, it is owning you. That said, I would love to have one. It. looking forward to see how these new lenses work out. One way or another, lenses are almost always a compromise.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I highly doubt that will get a black Friday markdown so early
I concur and expect both R5 and R6 to still be in short supply during Black Fri sales, with no bargains to be had....on the other hand, we might see some real bargains on the R and RP and a few of the RF lenses, as well as the 5D iv bodies, with prices on latter quite possibly coming in around the $15-1600.00 dollar mark at the big box stores.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Well. Yes. In theory even at 10%keeper rate you would get 2 keepers per second. Unfortunately since slave labor is something we dont employ you will have to trawl through all the images yourself to find the good ones. I think I'll bump the ISO and accept a bit of noise and less shots ;)
I've actually thought of using a computer as a slave to pre-mark unsharp images for me in Lightroom.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Egregious? What are you talking about? There is nothing wrong with the grammar in the title.

• There is a computer, a whiteboard, and an overhead projector in the classroom.
[/URL][/URL]

There are sounds bad because the noun that follows it, kitchen, is singular. Even though you’re really talking about multiple things, (a kitchen, a living room, a bedroom), it’s often better to use the singular verb is in a construction like this.

Some language commentators still insist on using are in sentences like this despite the awkwardness, but actual usage is extremely mixed.

[/URL][/URL]
Come on Canon, release the cameras early! We are getting so desperate that we now have grammar lessons on this forum! We need your help!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020

[/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL]

Which is it?

There is a bunch of pathetic losers on this forum?
Or
There are a bunch of pathetic losers on this forum?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Which is it?

There is a bunch of pathetic losers on this forum?
Or
There are a bunch of pathetic losers on this forum?
The only way to know for certain is to restart the sensor maths thread in regards to 8k. Perhaps the M43 as well, combine them please for all I care. I'll be riding my bike.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
The only way to know for certain is to restart the sensor maths thread in regards to 8k. Perhaps the M43 as well, combine them please for all I care. I'll be riding my bike.

Yes yes I think I shall go for a ride as well if the sahara dust eases up, or it shall be another zwift session

• Haha
Upvote 0