Here is the Canon EOS R6

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
You make absolutely no sense at all, I do shoot fashion among many other things and my work has been published in multiple magazines...yes I shoot with a 5DIV which has 30MP but it is way overkill, I could just as easily have created the exact same images with 20MP. By the time you get done setting up the footage for the magazine layout you are rarely using more than 8MP anyway.

I also have my work hanging on 6 story tall buildings in the downtown area where I live to showcase high rise luxury buildings that are about to be built..guess what they were shot with, a 20MP drone camera. For one project they created an entire artistic gallery to pre-sell $20M USD+ luxury condos for rich buyers, the entire gallery was covered in large highly detailed wall prints.....once again all shot with a tiny 20MP drone camera with a 1" sensor.

I'm not defending Canon's choice of sensor, and I think I know exactly why they did it...to save on costs by reusing an already amazing sensor from the 1DXIII while also providing the perfect sensor size for high quality video; I also believe there are scenarios where 20MP is not sufficient, mainly scenarios where you need to do a lot of cropping and recomposing in post to make up for a bad seating position or composition that you could not control like at fashion shows, for fashion shows I've needed every MP from my 5DIV at times because the organizers placed us in terrible positions and we had to make it work anyway; but calling a fantastic camera body with a 1DXIII sensor a toy just makes you look really ignorant.
The sensor from the 1DXMKIII is garbage to be in what was a "flagship" Skin like wax, hair like pudding. Too Soft with lacking DR and outdated the moment it hit the market. None of our agencies are buying the MKIII and Canon is dumping it in Cameras costing less than half... What does that tell you?

Canon can crow about the MKIII all they want but it's a flop! A bomb! A money loser! A outdated camera the day it hit the market.

Very little difference between the MKII and MKIII to justify the spend for the teams, agencie, leagues, in-house or PEG's.

Canon is going to have to do MUCH better.

If people feel because the 20MP sensor was in the MKIII it's a big deal don't! It's not pure garbage... just repackaged repurposed garbage.

Canon wasted our time with the camera and internally and with our clients we decided we didn't like it. It had nothing to do with the freezing or OVF issues, which we got stuck with but CPS fixed and sent back. It had to do with "Quality"

Was the "spend" on the 1DXMKIII justified as a significant upgrade to justify everything surrounding the camera and workflow and upgrade in the resolution and DR. NO!

Canon better get their act together as people who spend a lot of money buying as decision makers for large organizations are not happy campers now after the 1DXMKIII dog and pony show that tuned into a FLOP.

Canon can make a 1DXMKIII at 15fps / RAW at over 40MP if they want to. And they opted not to by concentrating on video.

HUGE mistake

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This theory is not valid, you may want to do a bit more research on the topic. Also just think about it, a slow processor can do whatever a fast processor can do, just slower.

Since you so confident about Digic processor not affecting ISO and DR performance, why don't you provide trust worthy info or link about it.

I am also wondering, why is that global shutter sensor solution has 1 stop less DR. I think the solution does not have fast enough motherboard-processor complex in order to handle "more analogues sudden data dump" ... You are wellcome to provide links, prove me wrong.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The sensor from the 1DXMKIII is garbage to be in what was a "flagship" Skin like wax, hair like pudding. Too Soft with lacking DR and outdated the moment it hit the market. None of our agencies are buying the MKIII and Canon is dumping it in Cameras costing less than half... What does that tell you?

If people feel because the 20MP sensor was in the MKIII it's a big deal don't! It's not pure garbage... just repackaged repurposed garbage.

HUGE mistake
Can you elaborate how the Nikon D6 or a Sony A9II are any different in terms of resolution? If I see it right, they have kept the exact same megapixel count compared to their predecessors, just like the 1DX III and I don't think the dynamic range on these cameras are any better than the 1DX III.

I wonder if there is some sort of conspiracy going on, or maybe they have other customers that actually wanted that or cared with other things instead, like speed and durability :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020
I'm still wondering about Eye AF. the rumor of Head AF was, well a head scratcher, why would a more expensive camera not have eye AF when the EOS R does? it's the thing that my next camera has to have. I love to shoot wide open portraits and my 6DII captures beautiful images, when the focus hits, but that's a bit of Russian roulette.

if the R6 doesn't have Eye AF it won't be on my wish list. I'll just keep shooting the 6DII. don't care at all about video so the big specs about video don't do anything for me.

Fear not! The R6 will have eye-AF. The rumour just listed head AF as something new. It also said identical AF to the R5. Safe to keep it on your wish list for the time being.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Speed in the AF was and even still is 7D2's golden ticket...
Yes, but speed is not everything if 50 % or more of the images are not in focus. I have a 7D2 since it came out, and compared with my old 5D3 the 7D2's phase detection AF was a real step back - with all of my different tele lenses. Of course, it needs to be more precise because of the higher resolution of the APC sensor than the FF camera's AF. I tried many different settings, but never managed to get my 7D2's performance on a level I'd be satisfied with. What I learned: it works quite well if it is really bright. I am pretty sure that the mediocre light sensitivity of the AF sensor is the bottleneck. That would be solved with a ML 7R, of course, since the dual pixel AF is really good. My problem is typical for birders, birds often have soft contours, light is not always optimum, so that's a real challenge for any AF system.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
(
In fact, the most common Canon behavior is to repurpose older sensors by changing the microlenses, and then call them "*all* new."
This could be a re-warmed 6D sensor, the new 1D sensor, or something completely different. In my mind, this is the very crux of whether this is a useful b-unit camera versus the R5.
The sensor is not the problem, since Canon sensors are not bad. I remember a test done by an astro photographer and physics colleague some years ago who managed to measure on-chip the photo diode sensitivity of a 7D2's sensor, and the results were quite good. Canon's problem was the noisy electronics that process the voltage signals of the photo diodes, preamplification, A/D conversion etc. This produced a much higher electronic noise floor than Sony's technology. This noise problem limited the dynamic range of Canon cameras for some years (as far as I know). But with recent cameras they managed to catch up with the competition. Where Canon still lags behind is backlit sensors, where the wiring is located behind the sensor so it does not block a part of the light off. This could be a problem with patents held by Sony (and Samsung), I don't know. In fact, Canon filed an own patent some years ago for a BSI sensor design with dual pixels http://thenewcamera.com/canon-patent-bsi-cmos-sensor/ but this technology did not yet reach real products (as far as I know).

Upvote 0
Since you so confident about Digic processor not affecting ISO and DR performance, why don't you provide trust worthy info or link about it.

I am also wondering, why is that global shutter sensor solution has 1 stop less DR. I think the solution does not have fast enough motherboard-processor complex in order to handle "more analogues sudden data dump" ... You are wellcome to provide links, prove me wrong.

"Electronic shutter reduces dynamic range", source https://canoncamerarumors.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-gets-gold-award-at-dpreview-92-overall-score/

This means more FPS reduces DR... This is processor correlation. And therefore matter of prioritizing features , FPS over DR. Is this, what the market wants?

Wondering if canon would put up 4 processors, Digic 10, in body... What could go wrong except battery drain...

Nikon is going to add up, dual processors in Z6s and Z7s, and its all about video fps, no DR either.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
HUGE mistake
Well, obviously the guys at DPReview, not really known as Canon fanboys, came to the opposite conclusion (gold award):

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-1-d-x-iii-review

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The Canon "EOS R6" will be released in Japan in late August. The main features of R6 are "CMOS sensor based on flagship model", "DIGIC X" and "Dual pixel CMOS AF II". The main features of the R5 are "the world's first 8K video recording," "the world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization," "about 45 million pixels," and "high-speed continuous shooting at up to about 20 frames per second."

From Nokishita

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018

Canon can crow about the MKIII all they want but it's a flop! A bomb! A money loser! A outdated camera the day it hit the market.

Very little difference between the MKII and MKIII to justify the spend for the teams, agencie, leagues, in-house or PEG's.

Canon is going to have to do MUCH better.

Canon wasted our time with the camera and internally and with our clients we decided we didn't like it. It had nothing to do with the freezing or OVF issues, which we got stuck with but CPS fixed and sent back. It had to do with "Quality"

Was the "spend" on the 1DXMKIII justified as a significant upgrade to justify everything surrounding the camera and workflow and upgrade in the resolution and DR. NO!

Canon better get their act together as people who spend a lot of money buying as decision makers for large organizations are not happy campers now after the 1DXMKIII dog and pony show that tuned into a FLOP.

Canon can make a 1DXMKIII at 15fps / RAW at over 40MP if they want to. And they opted not to by concentrating on video.

HUGE mistake

Not sure if the garbage part was supposed to be sarcastic...
Anyways, if "flagship model" means "1DXIII", it looks like the R6 will in fact get a modified version of the 1DXIII sensor: Google translated from Nokishita:

The main features of R6 are "CMOS sensor based on flagship model", "DIGIC X" and "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II"

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This means more FPS reduces DR... This is processor correlation. And therefore matter of prioritizing features , FPS over DR. Is this, what the market wants?

Nope, it's sensor readout speed correlation. The 1DX III shoots 20fps at 14-bit with the physical shutter. It's just the e-shutter that uses a faster ADC path. Indeed the 1DX III may be the only camera in the world currently that can do 20fps at full bit depth.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
More stuff is coming out:

The Canon “EOS R6” will be released in Japan in late August. The main features of R6 are "CMOS sensor based on flagship model", "DIGIC X" and "Dual pixel CMOS AF II".
--> implies we have the 1DX3 sensor in there
The main features of the R5 are "the world's first 8K video recording," "the world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization," "about 45 million pixels," and "high-speed continuous shooting at up to about 20 frames per second."
--> 8 stop IS claim, but it's unclear if that's 8 stops IBIS by itself, if it's IBIS + lens IS, IBIS + electronic video stabilization, etc.​
Heady times. We're nearly there.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And there's more. Dates but no price on the R5 yet:

The Canon "EOS R5" is expected to be released in Japan in late July (some US retailers set the shipment start date for the R5, RF800mm, and RF600mm to July 30, 2020). The R5 lens kit has not been confirmed in Japan at this time (R6 only confirms the body and RF24-105mm STM kit).

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The Canon “EOS R6” will be released in Japan in late August. The main features of R6 are "CMOS sensor based on flagship model", "DIGIC X" and "Dual pixel CMOS AF II".

Technically, the 1DX Mark II is also a flagship and has a 20MP sensor. I do wonder though if the R6 is going to get the fancy new low-pass filter of the Mark III.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
More stuff is coming out:

The main features of the R5 are "the world's first 8K video recording," "the world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization," "about 45 million pixels," and "high-speed continuous shooting at up to about 20 frames per second."
--> 8 stop IS claim, but it's unclear if that's 8 stops IBIS by itself, if it's IBIS + lens IS, IBIS + electronic video stabilization, etc.​
Heady times. We're nearly there.

- A
That's gotta be with lens IS I would think? And I'm curious about dual pixel CMOS auto focus II - is that a new iteration of DPAF or has it been implemented on other bodies?

Upvote 0
Since you so confident about Digic processor not affecting ISO and DR performance, why don't you provide trust worthy info or link about it

It would be very hard to prove a negative statement :) And it was actually your statement to start with - do you have any sources to prove the cpu speed affects the DR of a single shot?

Upvote 0