Here is the Canon EOS R6

Very glad about the oversampled 5k for post stabilization but the 20mp are just garbage. That's what my old 7D from 10 years ago has, 18.
20 is a joke in 2020. Very unfortunate.

Me: Looking at a 36"x24" on my wall taken with the original 5D and thinking things will somehow be just fine.

Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0
Has Canon ever reported dynamic range figures for stills cameras? I've always had to wait for reviews and for results to post on photonstophotos.net for that.
Even if they did, would people take it to heart? Any time Sony/Nikon announces new advancements in DR I've always taken it with a grain of salt because we have no idea whether their value is comparing apples to apples when talking about values reported by any other authority/company. I agree - it's all hearsay until there are some comparable tests out there.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Was there ever solid confirmation that the R6 was a 20mp body? Or, did someone claim it was and everyone ran with that?
Yes, it was already leaked in February and mentioned multiple times later on, so it is safe to assume that it is a 20MP camera.

It seems perfectly logical as well, considering all other mirrorless cameras (Fuji, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony) in this category will continue to stay around 24MP (Fuji has 26MP but it is a crop X-trans sensor, so it actually has less resolution), they also have more expensive models with more megapixels.
And for all practical purposes, it does not matter if it is 20 or 24 - but it does matter how good the ISO is or how good the video is, these are huge upgrades over the EOS R (which will cost almost half as much as the R6, so it remains an option for those who want 30MP with a lower price over anything else).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
So, uh, how's the DR and ISO performance? None of the posted specs besides resolution impact still image quality. Are photographers just forgotten when announcing cameras these days?
No. It is more that most serious photographers realise that DR while important is going to be more than acceptable on any FF camera nowadays. 1/2 a stop here or there is not going to make or break your photo

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
Very glad about the oversampled 5k for post stabilization but the 20mp are just garbage. That's what my old 7D from 10 years ago has, 18.
20 is a joke in 2020. Very unfortunate.
Think of bigger pixels, better low-light performance. The curse is also a blessing; just switch your focus point. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0