Here is the Canon EOS R6

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Would be a great upgrade of the R. But i got used to work with 30mp and i cannot see myself going back to 20mp. Otherwise a great camera. I guess if they had put a 30mp sensor in the R6 it would be too close to the R5 ...
More importantly they would have had to develop a new sensor. Thia way they can reuse the 1Dx3 sensor and save on R&D costs thereby keeping the cost of the camera down

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
So there is a customizable top thumb dial where the mode dial is on the R5? That's a nice addition. EC / ISO? The R5 mode dial looks like it might be configurable too and the top down screen is nice.
I reckon that customizable dial will be smashing for ISO and the control ring for EC when in Auto ISO

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
Very glad about the oversampled 5k for post stabilization but the 20mp are just garbage. That's what my old 7D from 10 years ago has, 18.
20 is a joke in 2020. Very unfortunate.
You do realize just about every billboard you've ever seen is images printed from cameras of less than 20mp. Then there is the new 1DXIII...at 20mp it must be a joke too. Guys that think their equipment makes them a photographer make me laugh. A good photographer can take a Kodak Instamatic 110 and do good work with it.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
More importantly they would have had to develop a new sensor. Thia way they can reuse the 1Dx3 sensor and save on R&D costs thereby keeping the cost of the camera down
Wasn't it confirmed that it will NOT be using the 1DX3 sensor?

Upvote 0
20mp is tons, exactly how big are you planning on printing your image that it wont be ok?

I've a 190x96cm or so photo printed off the inspire 2 x5s camera, and that's a 20mp sensor as well but micro 4/3's.
Looks absolutely perfect in print, and now imagine how much sharper it would be with a FF sensor like will be in the R6

Honestly, more MP aren't needed unless you're doing billboards or printing 6ft photos for galleries, by which time you'll probably be talking about shooting on medium format anyway.

R6 looks great, my only gripe, and to be fair, its a very small gripe, is the mode dial on top of the camera, that could surely be done like on the R and the space used for some other dial?

If theres one thing the R did right IMO, it was the mode selection buttons to save space on the top.
Tho they made a serious blunder with the touch bar and the lack of a scroll wheel on the back.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
This camera is nothing short of perfect in my book, unless Canon manages to add some sort of really disappointing limitation in there during the official launch this is without a doubt the camera I've been waiting for. As I've mentioned in other threads to me there is still a few missing pieces and a few things I still would like to have that is still unknown:

• Recording Limit - This is my number one concern. If this will be my C200 B camera it cannot have a recording limit. The GH5 doesn't have one and neither does the S1H, Panasonic simply released different firmware for their European models.
  • Dual Card Slot Video Recording - This is a feature I hate about my 5DIV. It has dual card slots but only records video to a single slot at a time. Hopefully the R6 and R5 record to both slots for video; for the R5 at least up to 4K60FPS for dual slot video recording. 8K and 4K120FPS would make sense only recording to the faster slot.
  • Canon Log - Still waiting to see what flavor of Canon Log, I'm thinking it will be CLOG3 which would match up perfectly with their Cinema line.
  • XLR Module - Not as important as the first two but all of my audio gear uses XLR connectors
  • Compression Codecs - still waiting to see if they offer h.265 and h.264 or just h.264
  • External Recorders - will be interesting to see what options they enable for external recording via the HDMI port

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Wasn't it confirmed that it will NOT be using the 1DX3 sensor?
Not to my knowledge. But canon regularly repurposes sensors but with different microlenses(which is what I think
this will be) and calls them new

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Do people really buy these 20MP cameras for fun? Why such low resolution in 2020?
More MP are always nice but 20 is hardly a problem. I shoot a 7d2 which is 20mp, crop the hell out of them( often down to as little as 5 or 6 mp) and print at A3 size and the prints look fine. And as the cropping is not always done due to reach limitations then the FF sensor with 20mp will be better than what I have currently. I don't buy the whole 'you have to print at 300dpi' crap. It just is not the case

Upvote 0