Here is the Canon EOS R6

Aug 26, 2015
This camera is nothing short of perfect in my book, unless Canon manages to add some sort of really disappointing limitation in there during the official launch this is without a doubt the camera I've been waiting for. As I've mentioned in other threads to me there is still a few missing pieces and a few things I still would like to have that is still unknown:

• Recording Limit - This is my number one concern. If this will be my C200 B camera it cannot have a recording limit. The GH5 doesn't have one and neither does the S1H, Panasonic simply released different firmware for their European models.
  • Dual Card Slot Video Recording - This is a feature I hate about my 5DIV. It has dual card slots but only records video to a single slot at a time. Hopefully the R6 and R5 record to both slots for video; for the R5 at least up to 4K60FPS for dual slot video recording. 8K and 4K120FPS would make sense only recording to the faster slot.
  • Canon Log - Still waiting to see what flavor of Canon Log, I'm thinking it will be CLOG3 which would match up perfectly with their Cinema line.
  • XLR Module - Not as important as the first two but all of my audio gear uses XLR connectors
  • Compression Codecs - still waiting to see if they offer h.265 and h.264 or just h.264
  • External Recorders - will be interesting to see what options they enable for external recording via the HDMI port
The 1DX III is already giving us an answer to most of those questions, let's go through them:

Yes, there is a recording limit for internal recording, external recording has no limit.

There is no dual recording option, only proxy recording for RAW video (but 8K is probably too much to process, so there may not be proxy on the EOS R5)

Canon Log is the standard one and the only one for the R6, since Canon Log 3 is only accessible by shooting RAW (only on the R5 and only up to 8K30P)

Other brands do offer XLR modules, but I wouldn't expect it for Canon stills cameras.

Canon Log is H.265 10-bit 4:2:2 and without using Log it is 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264

They offer the same as with 1DX III so HDMI output up to 4k60p 10-bit 4:2:2 Canon Log, just like the internal but it should be less demanding on the PC (and it has no recording limit)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I'm excited, not sure that my wife is not as excited, I'm sure she will understand.:p
I have five months to convince my wife that this cameras is necessary. Not easy for someone who does not understand sensor performance in low light etc. Any tips would be appreciated.
Ps. I ALWAYS immediately say yes when she wants to buy another item of clothing that isn't needed so I do have that in my favor ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
My only real question is, should I take my chances selling my 6D to sketchy buyers on eBay or just trade in at the local camera shop for a lower price but no hassle?
If it's in good shape, keep your 6D and buy your new EOS R5/6. That's what I am doing. The 6D is an excellent camera, a real workhorse with great low light capabilities. Mine has served me very well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
More MP are always nice but 20 is hardly a problem. I shoot a 7d2 which is 20mp, crop the hell out of them( often down to as little as 5 or 6 mp) and print at A3 size and the prints look fine. And as the cropping is not always done due to reach limitations then the FF sensor with 20mp will be better than what I have currently. I don't buy the whole 'you have to print at 300dpi' crap. It just is not the case
Trying to find the original source...this was from dailycameranews.com but I'm sure they picked it up from somewhere, thought it was Canonrumors:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor (not the same as the Canon 1DX Mark III)

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Will it shoot 1/8000s!?! I hope so... but the missing of the top display is a joke hm?!? They could easily have two (or four) different full frame sections!! But still with great body ergonomics etc... especially when you have a huuuge gap between the megapixels of two cameras if one company... (20 vs. ~45)....

I don’t understand those moves by Canon....

• Haha
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Trying to find the original source...this was from dailycameranews.com but I'm sure they picked it up from somewhere, thought it was Canonrumors:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor (not the same as the Canon 1DX Mark III)
Yes but again. Canon always say that when sticking a new microlens array on an old sensor(not that the 1Dx3 sensor is old but you know what I mean). So it won't be 'identical' to the 1Dx3 sensor, it will just be the same base with a different topping. Now I could absolutely be wrong but It would not make a lot of sense for Canon to be producing two top of the line 20mp sensors

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The 1DX III is already giving us an answer to most of those questions, let's go through them:

Yes, there is a recording limit for internal recording, external recording has no limit.

There is no dual recording option, only proxy recording for RAW video (but 8K is probably too much to process, so there may not be proxy on the EOS R5)

Canon Log is the standard one and the only one for the R6, since Canon Log 3 is only accessible by shooting RAW (only on the R5 and only up to 8K30P)

Other brands do offer XLR modules, but I wouldn't expect it for Canon stills cameras.

Canon Log is H.265 10-bit 4:2:2 and without using Log it is 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264

They offer the same as with 1DX III so HDMI output up to 4k60p 10-bit 4:2:2 Canon Log, just like the internal but it should be less demanding on the PC (and it has no recording limit)

Different camera, different firmware, and different target uses...just because it has the same sensor does not mean it will share much of anything else with the 1DX3. This is already evident by the lack of raw output and different card slot speeds. Also I have the C200, CLOG3 is available when shooting LongGOP.

IMO the only things we can learn from the 1DX3 are actual sensor specs like DR and ISO performance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
No, but 24-105 f/4 - 7.1 I do.
Then buy the fast options and not the slow ones. They do have a 24-105 f4 you know No one is forcing you to buy the slow ones. And considering canon will have in 3 years what it has taken Sony ten to achieve(in lenses) then I don't think you will have to worry about glass.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Am I the only one who thinks that this one replaces the 6D AND 7D?
6D and partial 7d replacement. It matters A LOT about the EVF performance if you want it to be a dedicated wildlife camera. I will get it to COMPLIMENT my 7d2, not to replace it

Upvote 0