Here is the Canon EOS R6

They're using Bluetooth 4.2 on the R6 instead of 5.0 like on the R5? WTH? That's not saving them any money, it's just a way of making people think twice before choosing the R6 over the R5.
The 20 mp sensor is a huge step backward and not necessary since the R6 will still be an expensive camera.

right! they should just take the R5 and paint a 6 over the 5 and do nothing else than sell the R6 for ~$2,000 less. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks that this one replaces the 6D AND 7D?

Probably, yes. I shoot 1DX beside folk with the 7D2 and 5DS and the detail they can capture is phenomenal. 20MP in FF just can't compete, even the ISO advantage is lost because I have to fit a teleconverter to try to make up for the disparity.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Am I the only one who thinks that this one replaces the 6D AND 7D?
Yes.

6D is FF (R6 replaces it)
7D is crop sensor; no way does R6 replace it. It just won't have the extended reach desired for WL photography. The R5 is more of a replacement because it will have far greater crop-ability.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Here is a question that i don't know the answer too. And not sure if anyone else will. If I got the R6 and adapeted my sigma 150-600c WITH the 2x converter attached would it work? I am assuming it should in which case I would have a 300-1200 f11-16? Thoughts?
Edit. Just had a look and I don't think it will work

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
20mp is tons, exactly how big are you planning on printing your image that it wont be ok?

I've a 190x96cm or so photo printed off the inspire 2 x5s camera, and that's a 20mp sensor as well but micro 4/3's.
Looks absolutely perfect in print, and now imagine how much sharper it would be with a FF sensor like will be in the R6

Honestly, more MP aren't needed unless you're doing billboards or printing 6ft photos for galleries, by which time you'll probably be talking about shooting on medium format anyway.

R6 looks great, my only gripe, and to be fair, its a very small gripe, is the mode dial on top of the camera, that could surely be done like on the R and the space used for some other dial?

If theres one thing the R did right IMO, it was the mode selection buttons to save space on the top.
Tho they made a serious blunder with the touch bar and the lack of a scroll wheel on the back.
20MP is not "fine". Its low resolution and unless applied to specific 1DXII or III its now outdated. Canon must have a ton of low resolution 20MP sensors left and will sell them to rubes.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
6D is FF (R6 replaces it)
7D is crop sensor; no way does R6 replace it. It just won't have the extended reach desired for WL photography. The R5 is more of a replacement because it will have far greater crop-ability.
it may - but then again the R6 will completely roast the 7D in terms of reach AF - with bird eyeAF and the ability to AF below F/11.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
So there is a customizable top thumb dial where the mode dial is on the R5? That's a nice addition. EC / ISO? The R5 mode dial looks like it might be configurable too and the top down screen is nice.

I assigned EC to the Lens Control Ring so it will be perfect for me if the mode dial can be configured for ISO.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2020
Me: Looking at a 36"x24" on my wall taken with the original 5D and thinking things will somehow be just fine.
That's good for you. I take it you sell prints online and have a magic way to upres them to be able to sell them? Because I don't. I'm not talking about personal prints. I don't care about 20 more mp for a picture on my wall. Print services do.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Will it shoot 1/8000s!?! I hope so... but the missing of the top display is a joke hm?!? They could easily have two (or four) different full frame sections!! But still with great body ergonomics etc... especially when you have a huuuge gap between the megapixels of two cameras if one company... (20 vs. ~45)....

I don’t understand those moves by Canon....

Which would you rather have, the 1DX3 sensor in an amazing camera for less than.$2500 or a top display?

I also think it makes more sense if you look at this camera as more video focused. Video bodies are usually in cages where you couldn't see the top display anyway.

I don't think I have ever used the top display on my 5D4 for anything; in my opinion when the only thing you can see is the top of the camera a tilting flipping screen is way more useful.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0