Here is the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A Canon Rumors reader has let me know that Amazon jumped the gun on posting the soon-to-be-announced Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM
Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM Specifications

9 elements in 7 grounds (1 aspherical element)
13cm/5.1″ minimum focusing distance
Maximum magnification of 0.26x
A filter size of 43mm
Lens length of 40.1mm/15.7″

Canon “RF 16mm F2.8 STM” has a lens configuration of 9 elements in 7 groups (1 aspherical lens), a minimum shooting distance of 13 cm, a maximum shooting magnification of 0.26 times, and a filter diameter of 43 mm. It seems that the length will be 40.1 mm.
Update: Here are the first images of the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM.

E-7IWhGUYAY0RjD-168x168.jpg

rf1628big-168x168.jpg

E-7IWhKVcAE3WI6-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
At that price (and especially if it was a pancake) it would be an immediate buy for me.
Although - any possibility this is just the site asking for a deposit for a pre-order? That's common.
I think it was briefly spotted on Amazon, though so far no one has produced a screenshot. If that's the case it was probably the full price.
Pancake would be really nice!
I'm a tad worried about image quality at this price point, but I'm really looking forward to seeing it! Someone on DP Review also mentioned the listing said "macro," so that would be a really cool additional feature, if true!

The RF 14-35 has a max magnification ratio of 0.15x at 14mm (0.38x at 35mm) and the RF 15-35 has a max magnification ratio of 0.10x at 15mm (0.21x at 35mm). If this 16mm lens has a 0.5x reproduction ratio at 16mm, it will offer a truly unique look for wide angle close up!

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
Nice to see the possibility of another low cost RF lens. If the price is that low it's unlikely to have IS, which seems consistent with earlier information regarding the lens description. At such a low price, the lens is also unlikely to have a separate control ring.

So another lens along the same lines as the RF 50mm f/1.8. If the lens lacks both IS and a dedicated control ring, I'll likely pass.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Pancake would be really nice!
I'm a tad worried about image quality at this price point, but I'm really looking forward to seeing it! Someone on DP Review also mentioned the listing said "macro," so that would be a really cool additional feature, if true!
At that price point, IQ will always be at some level compromised (although ML lens 'correction' seems to produce marvels these days!), but for a walk-around prime lens at that length (especially a pancake) a lot of us would likely wear those compromises. If it had any sort of usable macro length that would just be the icing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Nice to see the possibility of another low cost RF lens. If the price is that low it's unlikely to have IS, which seems consistent with earlier information regarding the lens description. At such a low price, the lens is also unlikely to have a separate control ring.

So another lens along the same lines as the RF 50mm f/1.8. If the lens lacks both IS and a dedicated control ring, I'll likely pass.
I'd prefer IS as well (having an EOS R). But the newer bodies all have IBIS, and if the rumoured <$1k body does also, IS becomes less essential in affordable lenses.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
I'd prefer IS as well (having an EOS R). But the newer bodies all have IBIS, and if the rumoured <$1k body does also, IS becomes less essential in affordable lenses.
Except that the IBIS may not offer much improvement in the real world. Actual real world data on the IBIS performance with the RF 50 f/1.8 is scarce, and what there is doesn't seem all that great (about 2 stops). Perhaps a non-IS UWA will fare better (not holding my breath).

Upvote 0

drhuffman87

Eos R, RF24-105 F4L, RF85 F2, EF200 F2.8L II
Nov 5, 2020
www.drhuffmanphoto.com

If it lacked IS, but has a dedicated control ring, I would be very excited. If no control ring is offered though, it will be a pass for me as well, as I have fully integrated the control ring into my shooting style.

Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
For me, I am not too bothered if there is no IS as I would primarily be using it for landscape. At that focal length, it would allow a sufficiently slow shutter speed anyway, even if using it handheld. What would be important is IQ. If it is at the level of the RF 35mm 1.8, or close enough, then I would likely get this instead of the 14-35 as I don't like the latter's vignetting and distortion at the 14-15 end. Otherwise, I will have to stomach the 14-35's imperfections as I really like its weight & size, and that it costs considerably less than the 15-35 f2.8.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2021
Folks, I pre-ordered the RF 16mm f/2.8 when I stumbled onto the Amazon listing (now gone). Here's a screenshot of the order which gives a glimpse of the lens. The only information on the page, which I've already shared, dimensions, weight, and focusing distance. It did not contain the full specs that you'd typically find with a lens.

Attachments

• 2021-09-07 - Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon_Redacted.jpg
    2021-09-07 - Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon_Redacted.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 738
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
May 26, 2021
And here's a larger screen grab from the "order details" page with a clearer picture of the lens and the $299.99 price. I saw nothing about this being a macro lens. Perhaps someone inferred that from the the close focusing distance. Again, details were scarce.

Attachments

• 2021-09-07 - Larger.Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon.jpg
    2021-09-07 - Larger.Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 389
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
At 16 mm shooting daylight landscapes or Astro or real estate from a tripod, I’m not sure how important image stabilization really is for this lens.

By the old rule of thumb, shouldn’t one be able to handhold down the 1/25th or even 1/15th pretty well with this focal length?

As far as macro, that was me. When the listing was live there was a paragraph or so descriptor. I recall seeing the word in there. I could be mistaken, but I’ve also seen that description used for reproduction ratios as little as 0.25x - so who knows what it’s worth even if it said that.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Folks, I pre-ordered the RF 16mm f/2.8 when I stumbled onto the Amazon listing (now gone). Here's a screenshot of the order which gives a glimpse of the lens. The only information on the page, which I've already shared, dimensions, weight, and focusing distance. It did not contain the full specs that you'd typically find with a lens.
Thank you for posting these!
Just curious, what happens if you click “buy it again”? Does the product page become visible with “temporarily out of stock?”

Upvote 0
May 26, 2021
“Buy it again” is grayed (whited) out. On other products, it’s an active gold/yellow button. So, when I hit the “Buy it again” button, it just takes me to a “Your Orders” page, on the “buy again” tab. It shows everything else I’ve ordered and could reorder. But it does NOT show my pre-order (maybe that’s why) of the RF 16mm f/2.8.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A 16mm makes little sense for a FF kit lens, or even for an APS-C kit for that matter. I think kits with a prime lens are a tough sell these days, regardless of price. Better a low cost highly compact zoom, like a 28-85 f/4-6.3.
The $400 24-105 non-L is the kit lens. The 16/2.8 will be a low-cost UWA alternative (compared to the 14/15-35 L UWA zooms).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
“Buy it again” is grayed (whited) out. On other products, it’s an active gold/yellow button. So, when I hit the “Buy it again” button, it just takes me to a “Your Orders” page, on the “buy again” tab. It shows everything else I’ve ordered and could reorder. But it does NOT show my pre-order (maybe that’s why) of the RF 16mm f/2.8.
As a warning, this has happened before with Amazon and they cancelled the pre-order. Hope that doesn’t happen here!

Upvote 0