Here is the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Correction: This lens is actually the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro
Canon is getting set to announce a new kit lens for the RF mount, the RF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. This lens looks to be quite compact in length, which is because of the RF mount itself.
We expect an official announcement very shortly.

RF24-105mmSTM-1-168x168.jpg

RF24-105mmSTM-2-168x168.jpg

RF24-105mmSTM-3-168x168.jpg

RF24-105mmSTM-4-168x168.jpg

RF24-105mmSTM-5-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:

TyWalters

I Own Too Many Cameras
Nov 27, 2019
USA
I'm not an RF guy (yet) but can someone explain how to manually focus this lens? Not sure if the other RF zooms work the same way but it just looks like it has a zoom ring and the control ring. AF/MF switch reads "focus/control." Do you flip the switch and focus with the control ring? Doesn't that suck if your control ring is controlling something important like ISO?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2019
I'm not an RF guy (yet) but can someone explain how to manually focus this lens? Not sure if the other RF zooms work the same way but it just looks like it has a zoom ring and the control ring. AF/MF switch reads "focus/control." Do you flip the switch and focus with the control ring? Doesn't that suck if your control ring is controlling something important like ISO?

not sure how I feel about that. On a lens like this I almost always would use autofocus. But,can the control ring be assigned AF? Probably not.

if the price is good enough then it might be a good choice.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Well, you have at least as much control as with an EF lens/body but additionally you can configure the focus ring to do something else. Higher-end lenses have separate focus/control rings as an extra feature.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
not sure how I feel about that. On a lens like this I almost always would use autofocus. But,can the control ring be assigned AF? Probably not.

if the price is good enough then it might be a good choice.
It can be assigned to manual focusing - MF. Not AF, of course. Yes, manual focusing with control ring or switch to other functions with a flick of switch. Perfectly usable.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

TyWalters

I Own Too Many Cameras
Nov 27, 2019
USA
It can be assigned to manual focusing - MF. Not AF, of course. Yes, manual focusing with control ring or switch to other functions with a flick of switch. Perfectly usable.
I should be clear, I'm not starting an argument nor am I complaining. I just haven't used a control ring before. Seems to me like if I have my control ring set to something important like ISO (aperture, shutter, etc), then I don't have a way to manually focus AND adjust the setting on my ring... and that didn't seem right. Thanks for the clarification though.

I have had a love/hate relationship with the 24-105 f4 for years. Great all-round focal range just wish it was faster!

Upvote 0
The RF 24-240 has the same design - like others have said, I think you simply flip the focus/control switch to toggle between manual focus and whatever you want the control ring set to. I would bet this is one of the ways Canon is trying to reduce manufacturing costs on lower-end lenses.

Upvote 0
I should be clear, I'm not starting an argument nor am I complaining. I just haven't used a control ring before. Seems to me like if I have my control ring set to something important like ISO (aperture, shutter, etc), then I don't have a way to manually focus AND adjust the setting on my ring... and that didn't seem right. Thanks for the clarification though.

I have had a love/hate relationship with the 24-105 f4 for years. Great all-round focal range just wish it was faster!
Yea, I agree it could be disruptive to some shooting, but in the case of using ISO and manual focus even on a lens with both a control ring and a manual focus ring, I don't think I could make adjustments to both rings with one hand at the same time in a meaningful way - I suspect I'd adjust the ISO and then manually focus. I guess for me, adding a toggle of the switch between changing those two settings would be a bit annoying, but I would bet my muscle memory would catch up quickly and it wouldn't slow me down in a meaningful way.

It's definitely a compromise, but if it keeps the price down then it is doing buyers a favour in making RF glass more accessible!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Yea, I agree it could be disruptive to some shooting, but in the case of using ISO and manual focus even on a lens with both a control ring and a manual focus ring, I don't think I could make adjustments to both rings with one hand at the same time in a meaningful way - I suspect I'd adjust the ISO and then manually focus. I guess for me, adding a toggle of the switch between changing those two settings would be a bit annoying, but I would bet my muscle memory would catch up quickly and it wouldn't slow me down in a meaningful way.

It's definitely a compromise, but if it keeps the price down then it is doing buyers a favour in making RF glass more accessible!
For me, the on-boarding of the whole R / RF system took (and is stil taking) more time than anticipated (I am 11 months into it and just now getting the hang of certain things). 15 years of DSLR / EF, added to 30+ years of SLR film, makes for some deeply ingrained habits regarding focus and exposure. This new control ring is one of a number of things that takes such time to really become intuitive. For a long time my first and only RF lens was the 24-105L, until December 2019 when I got a second RP bundled with the 24-240, and had to take on this new dual-purpose ring feature. As mentioned by others the most obvious use of the lens ring when it is separate is exposure correction, but starting last summer I got more and more into the Fv mode and in the end exposure control is highly manageable with that mode, actually a necessity if you are still using EF lenses (11-24, 16-35 IS and 100-400) with the standard adapter. I have not done enough shooting with the 24-240 to get much experience with the new way to use the ring alternately for manual focusing, time will tell how this all plays out in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0