Here is the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
As a beginner, that ring is what made me want to understand ISO better and when to adjust it. Now I actually use it. The EVF lets me see exactly what’s changing, which is great as a beginner. Prior to the new year, when we purchased the RP system, I never took the ISO off Auto on my old Rebel.

Beginners who buy this system may be rather novice, but they are people who want to learn more and improve their photography.

What I don’t do a lot of is manual focus. I’ve tried, but with the new touch drag auto focus, I don’t trust my eyes as much as this cameras. I used it more on the Rebel if there were foreground objects with my subject standing back. Now I just move my focus point to my subjects face, back button focus, and shoot. My miss rate has gone way down.

Good post. I like the setting when you press the shutter halfway it lets you manually focus. With focus peaking that is amazing

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
I am also curious about the focus/control switch and if it uses the control ring.

But my curiosity is more about the fact that the control rings I have used so far click and aren't decidable. Think it would be annoying and not exactly precise to have a clickable focus ring.

The 24-240 control ring does not have clicks. This presumably won't either. I presume the rule for two-ring zoom lenses one of course must zoom, and the other is a potential focus ring. Only for three-ring zooms or two ring primes (like the RF 35) is the second ring clicky.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
The lens looks short but pretty stocky - how big is that hand?

The rear satin titanium looking portion being constant across all lenses, comparing the RF35 (72mm diameter forward of the rear taper) and the 24-240 (80mm at that point) this is larger than but closer to the RF35. Guess 75mm. Larger where it steps out a hair at the front of the zoom ring.

Upvote 0
I wonder how many novices bought the 6D. I don't have any data, but I would think most 6D's were bought by people moving up from APS-C who understand the benefits of FF and aren't novices. Or maybe even people who were waiting for an affordable full-frame camera to replace a film SLR. Or who had outgrown a compact camera. I've been doing photography for 40 years, never shoot in Program mode, can't begin to count how many books I've read, how many hours reading web sites, etc., definitely not a novice, but I'm still on APS-C, because I still can't justify the expense of moving to full-frame. I can afford it, but a 6D, R, RP are slower than an 80D, 6D has less focus-point coverage, 6D2 isn't much of an improvement over 80D in noise, etc. And then there's the weight and size issue.

All valid points!

Upvote 0
My experience locally is quite a few 50/60D shooters went to the 6D primarily because it was so much less expensive than the 5D3 and much more similar in form factor to the XXD series. Lots of happy photographers iirc. IRL there wasn't the whining about the 6D 1&2 like you see on forums and YouTube.
I loved my 6D when I had it. It did its job just fine for my uses. The big thing though is picking up a 6D eventually becomes the temptation to move up to a 5D series, and I was most certainly captured by that!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I loved my 6D when I had it. It did its job just fine for my uses. The big thing though is picking up a 6D eventually becomes the temptation to move up to a 5D series, and I was most certainly captured by that!
That’s the primary purpose of a bridging FF camera body being a relatively inexpensive step up option for aps-c users looking for something more than a crop body has to offer. I used 6D as a second camera for almost 2 years. It has its limitations, sure. but is a very capable tool nevertheless.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0