Here is the official marketing material for the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM, Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM and accessories

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I hope I have mis-interpreted the lack of backwards compatibility. I've based my comments on the description for the AD-E1.
Yikes. I hope we are wrong.

What would this mean for studio strobes? Canon doesn't make studio strobes and if correct, would this make every brand of transmitter for strobes unusable with the R3? One of the reasons I was looking forward to the R3 was the reduced viewfinder lag when shooting with studio strobes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yikes. I hope we are wrong.

What would this mean for studio strobes? Canon doesn't make studio strobes and if correct, would this make every brand of transmitter for strobes unusable with the R3? One of the reasons I was looking forward to the R3 was the reduced viewfinder lag when shooting with studio strobes.
I presume the adapter will replicate the 'old' Canon hotshoe on top, physically and electronically. As such, if a 3rd party transmitter worked with your older Canon ILC, it will work with the R3 on the adapter (once it's available, which could be problematic for some).

Depending on your strobes, worst case scenario is you may be able to optically slave them. My PCB monolight works well when triggered that way.

I had looked at the EL-1, but passed since I have four 600EX-RT units and an ST-E3-RT. Now I'll definitely wait for a new-style hotshoe Speedlite to come out. I may pick up the ST-E10 to remotely trigger my current Speedlites. OTOH, the adapter will add a little height, and the further off-axis the better.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Probably all future cameras and strobes will use this new hotshoe. This also keeps 3rd party out without use of additional adapters.
Unfortunately that has huge ramifications for studio use. It's one thing to screw over Yongnuo, but Profoto, Broncolor, Elinchrom, etc.?

Okay, going to take a deep breath and hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Why do I always get the feeling that with the R line the conversations at Canon go something like this:

Engineers: "Hey, we've got a brand new 70-200 lens design that retracts and is super compact."

Marketing: "Great!"

Engineers: "Of course it won't take extenders."

Marketing: "Oh crap!"

Engineers: "Guess what, the new Canon R5 can shoot in 8K."

Marketing: Great!"

Engineers: "Of course it will overheat within minutes and make the camera unusable for hours."

Engineers: "We have a new 100-500 lens"

Marketing: "Great! Will it take extenders?"

Engineers: "Yes, but only from 300mm out."

Engineers: "We are completely redesigning hotshoes."

Marketing: "Just shoot us now."

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It’s ‘screwing over’ in the same way that needing a simple mount adapter screws over users of EF lenses who buy an RF-mount MILC.
I know. I know. I'm praying that Canon hasn't done anything to keep third party studio strobes from working.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I know. I know. I'm praying that Canon hasn't done anything to keep third party studio strobes from working.
I hear you, and I hope not. Although personally, I only have Canon stuff in the hotshoe. I used PocketWizards at one point, but they were wizards like Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune

Unfortunately that has huge ramifications for studio use. It's one thing to screw over Yongnuo, but Profoto, Broncolor, Elinchrom, etc.?

Okay, going to take a deep breath and hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Why do I always get the feeling that with the R line the conversations at Canon go something like this:

Engineers: "Hey, we've got a brand new 70-200 lens design that retracts and is super compact."

Marketing: "Great!"

Engineers: "Of course it won't take extenders."

Engineers: "Guess what, the new Canon R5 can shoot in 8K."

Marketing: Great!"

Engineers: "Of course it will overheat within minutes and make the camera unusable for hours."

Engineers: "We have a new 100-500 lens"

Marketing: "Great! Will it take extenders?"

Engineers: "Yes, but only from 300mm out."

Engineers: "We are completely redesigning hotshoes."

Marketing: "Just shoot us now."
for hotshoe Marketing: Look no need for batteries for triggers and other accessories. I shoot Godox so yeah paying another 30-50 bucks for hot shoe adaptors(apart from lens adaptors) for future cameras is quite pain and given size it would be easy to misplace.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
These integrated grip sports & news bodies are sold on their durability, reliability, connectivity and speed; they're not bodies which really show off lenses well and their audience doesn't buy a large number of lenses in any case.

The R3 is not solely designed for "sports & news".

In the marketing release for the R3, Canon refers to wildlife and nature photographers. And they absolutely do buy the biggest big whites. While most sports photographers are happy with 200-400, wildlife shooters often go to 1200mm. It's a pity the R3 doesn't have the resolution to make that more effective.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Plot twist: the hotshoe is partially backwards-compatible. You can mount non-weather sealed flashes directly, but not weather-sealed ones.
No adapter needed:
View attachment 200183
Adapter needed:
View attachment 200184
New transmitter features:
View attachment 200180View attachment 200182
Thanks. I feel a little better about this now, but still confused. Sounds like the rubber seals won’t fit over the new shoe, but wondering why the transmitter won’t fit. I don’t recall that having a rubber seal. Big question for me will be the Flashpoint/Godex transmitter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Plot twist: the hotshoe is partially backwards-compatible. You can mount non-weather sealed flashes directly, but not weather-sealed ones.
No adapter needed:
View attachment 200183
Adapter needed:
View attachment 200184
Thanks for the info. Good to know the 270EX II that I have for use with my M-series cameras will work directly on the R3 if I’m desperate.

I preordered both the ST-E10 and the AD-E1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks. I feel a little better about this now, but still confused. Sounds like the rubber seals won’t fit over the new shoe, but wondering why the transmitter won’t fit. I don’t recall that having a rubber seal. Big question for me will be the Flashpoint/Godex transmitter.
The ST-E3-RT has the rubber gasket for weather sealing (both versions). The older ST-E2 (optical master) does not have the gasket and presumably would work directly on the R3.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The ST-E3-RT has the rubber gasket for weather sealing (both versions). The older ST-E2 (optical master) does not have the gasket and presumably would work directly on the R3.
Thanks again Neuro, my ST-E3 is at work and I didn’t remember it had a gasket.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
No adapter needed:
View attachment 200183
Adapter needed:
View attachment 200184
Wow, thanks! I am still a bit miffed about this. I have the EL-1 and have the version 2 ST-E3-RT on pre-order to work with the EL-1. Fine for now, but I would reckon future cameras will have this new hotshoe?

Upvote 0