Horses / Horseriding etc

I went to Belmont Park over the weekend to have a picnic with friends and family. Decided to test out my new 1.4x extender on the 70-200 2.8II. Pretty nice results- Especially considering I was shooting "sports" with a 5D mkII. This was the only horse race I shot that day, so was happy I caught a few cool frames as they passed me.

Belmont Park | Race 7 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

5 Horse by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Horses by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Chuckwagon racing. 1Dx, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 4x 600EX-RTs HSS max power. Considerable abuse in LR5. I'd like to have enough light to balance the sun in a shot like this but I have a feeling that would run afoul of my budget, common sense and several arms control treaties...

Jim

Attachments

• chucks-2.jpg
    chucks-2.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
Chuckwagon racing. 1Dx, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 4x 600EX-RTs HSS max power. Considerable abuse in LR5. I'd like to have enough light to balance the sun in a shot like this but I have a feeling that would run afoul of my budget, common sense and several arms control treaties...

Jim

In a photo like this, I am curious how the four lights were set up. Can you explain how and why?
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
Jim Saunders said:

Jim

In a photo like this, I am curious how the four lights were set up. Can you explain how and why?
Thanks in advance.

They were on stands about the height of the driver's face pointed directly at it, to my left and a little behind me. I wanted some fill to balance out the sun. Ideally I'd have more lights, and them spread over the length of a rig (viz the wagon and the horses) with the lights twenty or thirty feet down the track from the camera on sticks, and stand at the lights with a remote trigger to shoot when the subject gets into the light. Gels too! I missed that detail and had to screw around in post for a time.

I make no claim to expertise but at this point in my life I'm happy with this one. I would trade a klondike bar for a 1Dx that syncs at 1/1000 without using HSS though...

Jim

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jim Saunders said:
I make no claim to expertise but at this point in my life I'm happy with this one. I would trade a klondike bar for a 1Dx that syncs at 1/1000 without using HSS though...

Jim

But a light that throws out any decent amount of power will take longer than 1/1000 sec to do it anyway. The ultra fast quoted flash speeds are at minimum power, normally around 2-4Ws, or 15 to 30 times less than even a speedlite at full power.

Flash and high shutter speeds are a complicated affair, there is no simple solution other than no shutter, even leaf shutters have practical limits of flash exposure around 1/1000-1/1500. The true answer is electronic "shutters", basically no shutters at all, like the P&S's.

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
Northstar said:
Rodeo with 70-200 2.8 and 300 2.8

I like the way you got light onto your subjects; I haven't figured out how to get shots like that in sunlightJim....
Jim

Thanks Jim! It's about compromises....i'd rather "shoot to the right" and slightly overexpose the shot to get more light under the hat...i'm ok with some blown areas if the result is that I get a better face.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Last Saturday I travelled down to Southwell to try and get a pano of the wonderful, ancient Minster church, but despite a fine morning and forecast the day was a washout so I called in at the British Reigning championships to see some Western riding.

All I had was my pano gear, and the only lens that was remotely suitable was the go-everywhere 24-105. Despite being indoors and dark I still managed to get some shots that I was pleased with. 5DII on AF servo, central expansion. Had to track as the riders were not stopping in the same place each time, so couldn't zone focus.

The sliding stops are quite spectacular when done well. Not quite sue how this would help cowboys round up cattle, but anyway it was fun to watch.

Attachments

• IMG_1646b.png
    IMG_1646b.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 318
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Quick question... more of a subjective question... but the first two photos.... I look at them and think... could use a touch more contrast. Is it a matter of personal preference, or did you have a specific vision... maybe because it was cloudy you wanted the scene to reflect that?

TexPhoto said:
Back at the Track.

REX13720h by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

REX13705h by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Untitled by RexPhoto91, on Flickr

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Sporgon said:
The up load to CR seems to be killing the contrast. I think this is what has happened to Tex pictures. I've modified mine accordingly.

The Forum converts the images to PNG, but they suffer. I try to link mine directly from SmugMug so no uploading happens.

I took some shots of our local Inland Grange trail riders again last Saturday. I've done it every Fall since 2010. I shoot the images when the riders are heading out at 10 AM, take them home and do a little cropping and adjustment of lighting, then print them on 4 X 6 photo paper, and have them back for the Grange when the riders return at about 12:30. The grange sells them for $5 each which goes into their operations. We live out in the country where the grange system is still going strong, community members all pull together to support each other. Rather than bog the thread down with a lot of images, you can see them here:

http://www.mount-spokane-photography.com/Inland-Grange

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Sporgon said:
The up load to CR seems to be killing the contrast. I think this is what has happened to Tex pictures. I've modified mine accordingly.

The Forum converts the images to PNG, but they suffer. I try to link mine directly from SmugMug so no uploading happens.

I took some shots of our local Inland Grange trail riders again last Saturday. I've done it every Fall since 2010. I shoot the images when the riders are heading out at 10 AM, take them home and do a little cropping and adjustment of lighting, then print them on 4 X 6 photo paper, and have them back for the Grange when the riders return at about 12:30. The grange sells them for $5 each which goes into their operations. We live out in the country where the grange system is still going strong, community members all pull together to support each other. Rather than bog the thread down with a lot of images, you can see them here:

http://www.mount-spokane-photography.com/Inland-Grange

Thanks for that info; I had no idea that the site converted to png.

Enjoyed the pictures in your link, I haven't seen so many pleasure riders in the States all riding Western ! Those saddles cost a fortune over here in England.

I've added another shot, this time in png. Not as dramatic but I like the lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_1584.png
    IMG_1584.png
    984.9 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0