Horses / Horseriding etc

DARSON said:
If that would be the case would you rather not taking the shot and relocate to other point?

Always take the shot available to you! There's no extra cost, and you can learn from it when you review your images after the fact. I'm no pro by any means, but the few paid gigs I've done (as an assistant) taught me one thing above all else: try to anticipate the action and be at the right place at the right time. No amount of skill or gear can match being in the right place at the right time.

When you review your images after an event try to learn from all of them.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
A friend of mine who was shortlisted for the British Paralympics Dressage Team in London 2012, having been a professional show jumper, but broke her neck in a jumping accident. Expect to see her on the team at Rio 2016.

Taken at a local show centre competition. 5D mkii, 85/1.8 @ 1.8.

Attachments

• Heather 2 SF.jpg
    Heather 2 SF.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 972
  • Heather 3 SF.jpg
    Heather 3 SF.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 929
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Sporgon said:
A friend of mine who was shortlisted for the British Paralympics Dressage Team in London 2012, having been a professional show jumper, but broke her neck in a jumping accident. Expect to see her on the team at Rio 2016.

Taken at a local show centre competition. 5D mkii, 85/1.8 @ 1.8.

I never even heard of dressage until mitt Romney's wife. I don't begrudge people the sport... but at the same time... people have competitions where they dance with their dog... and I wouldn't think that would merit a medal.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
privatebydesign said:
Sporgon,

Don't know if you have seen this but I think you will like it.

http://www.vonwong.com/blog/natasha-baker-olympic-paradressage-rider/

And my favourite UK equestrian photographer.

http://www.horse-photographer.co.uk/gallery/

Excellent !

I've seen the picture of Natasha in the barn with smoke before. Good impact. Not so sure about the 'tear'; horses eyes only run like that when they are irritated by flies !

I hadn't heard of Matthew Seed, but really like his work having seen it now. Thanks for sharing the link.

Upvote 0
Sharing this summers holiday snap because it has triple awesomeness. Good looking guy in chain-mail vest on a horse standing on two legs, pulling a fox (fake, with some steak in it) caught by a hawk.

This was by the way on the hottest day that summer in the north of France.

Attachments

• IMG_6279-3.jpg
    IMG_6279-3.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 720
Upvote 0
I live near and work on Eglin Air Force Base, which is in the far Northwest panhandle of Florida. The base has a saddle club where horse owners can rent stable space to keep their horses. Oddly, it is located immediately under the final approach to one end of the runway and so there is outrageously loud jet noise (the base hosts F-15, F-16 and F-35 jets) throughout much of the day. But these animals seem to have gotten pretty used to it.

I'm primarily a portrait shooter but one afternoon I was scouting a portrait location at the pond that butts up against the saddle club property and decided to take a stroll through the stables.

Upvote 0
gbchriste said:
I live near and work on Eglin Air Force Base, which is in the far Northwest panhandle of Florida. The base has a saddle club where horse owners can rent stable space to keep their horses. Oddly, it is located immediately under the final approach to one end of the runway and so there is outrageously loud jet noise (the base hosts F-15, F-16 and F-35 jets) throughout much of the day. But these animals seem to have gotten pretty used to it.

I'm primarily a portrait shooter but one afternoon I was scouting a portrait location at the pond that butts up against the saddle club property and decided to take a stroll through the stables.

Nice shots gb!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Here's a quick question... when shooting horse riding coming towards you... do yall try for both the horse's head/face and the riders to both be in focus or do you aim for one or the other... and if the other is blurred... it's blurred.

I know the distance along at which we are shooting will usually have both within the depth of field... but it is something I've been wondering.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
jdramirez said:
Here's a quick question... when shooting horse riding coming towards you... do yall try for both the horse's head/face and the riders to both be in focus or do you aim for one or the other... and if the other is blurred... it's blurred.

I know the distance along at which we are shooting will usually have both within the depth of field... but it is something I've been wondering.

As you have rightly identified, horse and rider combinations coming towards you are long, so you need an aperture that is going to cover that depth of field. When shooting show jumping I always zone focus; you know exactly where the horse is going to be at the time you want the picture. For dressage I use tracking because although in theory you know where the horse is going to be if you know the test there is nothing specific to pre focus on, and getting the right leg position requires taking pictures in many different places.

So for zone focus I know that I am placing the point of focus roughly between the rider's body and the horse's head, with enough dof to cover both. With tracking AF I am trying to focus on the rider, but with enough aperture to cover both. Also animal fur can be notoriously difficult for the AF to lock on to. If you want to achieve minimum dof it takes a little practice to know what aperture / focal length / distance combination you can get away with.

With the pictures I've posted here if either the rider or horse's head was oof the picture would be a dud. In the pictures of Heather I was really pushing it with an 85 @ 1.8. If you saw a big version of the pictures you might find that the horse's head is not as sharp as the rider's. With the picture of Kelly shot with the 135 I had to use a smaller aperture.

Upvote 0
Here are some of my favorites from my first Eventing, um, event, over the last few days:

Red_Hills_%20International_Horse_Trials_Day_2_3-7-2014_2001_ID-L.jpg

Red_Hills_%20International_Horse_Trials_Day_2_3-7-2014_2096_ID-L.jpg

Red_Hills_%20International_Horse_Trials_Day_2_3-7-2014_2181_ID-L.jpg

Red_Hills_%20International_Horse_Trials_Day_3_3-8-2014_3183_ID-L.jpg

Red_Hills_%20International_Horse_Trials_Day_3_3-8-2014_3371_ID-L.jpg

Red_Hills_%20International_Horse_Trials_Day_3_3-8-2014_3926_web-L.jpg

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
So that's why you needed the speed. Very nicely done.
Exactly (those horses are fast!) and thanks for the nice comment.

Sporgon said:
Some great shots there - had a look at the ones on you're link.
Thanks as well! It was a lot of fun and I sure learned a lot about shooting horses and shooting in bad light :)

Upvote 0