How many camera makes do you use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I only shoot with my 80D. The Smartphone does get some use, but I would not count it as a camera (Google Pixel 3a, takes great shots for what it is though).

I have a couple of analog cameras from Nikon and Pentax, and some FD glass. Gifts from people who don't use the gear anymore and knew I am into photography a lot deeper than them. It's the kind of gear that I'd like to use more but get around to very little.

So a vote for only Canon it is.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I did count it, since it's both a camera and a different brand :)

Aye if I count up my pictures over the last 3 years I have over 28,000 from my Canon, 4000 from my Nikon Z6, and maybe 5000 from my iPhone. These are just ruff estimates based on a quick count and don't really say that all of these have been keepers, for instance my phone takes pictures of the label on a sandwich to be sent to my fiancé for approval that it lacks anything he doesn't like or is intolerant.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I just upgraded my iPhone. I didn't even look at the specs for the camera when I chose it. I realize that a lot of people get new phones because they want a better camera. When I want a better camera, I buy a new camera. I carry my phone in my shirt pocket. Phones keep getting bigger and bigger. I don't want that. When I want to use a tablet, I use my iPad. So I got the iPhone SE. I restored to it the last backup from my 6S, so it seems identical. The processor is vastly faster, but I don't talk any faster when I use make a phone call. Anyhow, I take relatively few pictures with the phone, mainly in situations where I didn't bring a camera and am surprised that I want to shoot something. Otherwise, I'm in an exotic place that I'm afraid I won't be able to find on a map later, so instead of pairing with my camera to put GPS data with pictures, I'll just take a shot with the phone and check that picture's location.

So I didn't count the phone as another brand. I'm not shooting just Canon out of some doctrinaire position. If I had had more money in 1970 or so, I would have bought a Nikon for my first SLR instead of the Canon. My first digital camera was a Casio that had a Canon lens. My first DSLR was a Rebel I bought as an impulse purchase when I was supposed to be looking at TVs, washers, and dryers for my new home.

Last fall I did look at Sony's offerings when I was considering an upgrade to my G7X II travel camera before a trip to Italy, et. al. I found they had made their lenses zoom farther and made them slower, so less suited for my travel pictures. I also looked at the M50, which was nice, but I chose to stay more pocket-sized and got a G5X II. There is some convenience with using cameras that have similar controls and menus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Primarily m4/3 - Olympus mostly but some Panasonic. Canon kit is secondary -- all older generation bodies and lenses in real need of update. I do have a Fuji APSC just for fun. I'm coming up to major decision point what to pursue. For 95% of what I shoot m4/3 is more than adequate and I appreciate the lighter weight, smaller size flexibility for event shoots. But if TN is to be believed, m4/3 is history (although my gear still works great and probably will for years). So I'm open to total replacement of everything... just need to decide which direction to go.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Currently... only Canon. Did not count smartphone... because I'm sure we could assume everyone has a smartphone, and the poll makes it sound like it's for dedicated cameras. Unfortunately... without definition on that I'm afraid the results might be skewed.

@AlanF confirm your intention on the cellphone... and I'm sure users will change their votes to match.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Currently... only Canon. Did not count smartphone... because I'm sure we could assume everyone has a smartphone, and the poll makes it sound like it's for dedicated cameras. Unfortunately... without definition on that I'm afraid the results might be skewed.

@AlanF confirm your intention on the cellphone... and I'm sure users will change there votes to match.
I included my iPhone. But to avoid confusion, phones should be omitted, and I am changing my entry.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0