How many years have I been here? (slclick & bluezurich combined)

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
And if I no longer own any Canon gear? Should I stick around for giggles?

Sure 'things haven't been too swell Wally' since the meltdown and sweeping changes at CR but I have enjoyed myself immensely overall and wish to reach out and thank the many here who contributed to my growth and gathering of information.

I have shot with Canon digitally since 1999 and off and on through the 70's and 80's with film. I never thought I'd be a switcher (those damn switchers, door hits ass comment insert here if you like)

Without folks such as Canonfanboy, Neuro, alanf, privatebydesign,etienne, jeffa, stevec, sharlin, unfocused and of course Craig not to mention so many others, (like adam what's his name and the unending quest for a EF 50 1.4 Mk ii) this site would not have been as enjoyable.

Thanks everyone!

-Barry

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Barry!
Why not?
I'd say stick around, enjoy the enjoyable and the fun, be graceful to the narrow minded.
As long as you don't find anything better? As long a there is still some fun around here...

Of course this is a Canon gear focused forum, but there is so much more joy to find about the passion of photography.
Personally, I started here mostly for the gear and the rumours and technical advices.
Today, I'm still here because of the wonderful pictures and stories shared.
And every good picture I see gets a "like" from me no matter what gear or cellphone was used ;)

Have fun.

All the best to you.

Maximilian

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013

Sure 'things haven't been too swell Wally' since the meltdown and sweeping changes at CR but I have enjoyed myself immensely overall and wish to reach out and thank the many here who contributed to my growth and gathering of information.

I have shot with Canon digitally since 1999 and off and on through the 70's and 80's with film. I never thought I'd be a switcher (those damn switchers, door hits ass comment insert here if you like)

Without folks such as Canonfanboy, Neuro, alanf, privatebydesign,etienne, jeffa, stevec, sharlin, unfocused and of course Craig not to mention so many others, (like adam what's his name and the unending quest for a EF 50 1.4 Mk ii) this site would not have been as enjoyable.

Thanks everyone!

-Barry
FWIW I hope you stick around. I'm another "switcher" (I switched last year, after almost 20 years shooting Canon starting with a 300D) but I still keep a regular eye on CR. Rumours about Canon gear may be CR's hook, but the main reason I've kept reading CR over many years is because I have learned a lot about photography (not just Canon gear!) from the forum discussions. To be honest I think there have been fewer interesting dsicussions in more recent years (sadly!), but I'm not planning to abandon CR yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
No reason to leave. I also switched to Fuji but I have a lifetime sub here for as long as Craig chooses to honor it (I see no evidence he sold the site, and the behavior of the Twitter account strongly implies it's still him). I see no reason to leave either, I have no hate for Canon, they just aren't making anything I want at the moment. If I ever decide Fuji isn't meeting my needs, Canon is the first company I'll have a look at for a potential switch. May as well stay in the loop, plus I like a lot of the community, especially from the Discord.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
No reason to leave. I also switched to Fuji but I have a lifetime sub here for as long as Craig chooses to honor it (I see no evidence he sold the site, and the behavior of the Twitter account strongly implies it's still him). I see no reason to leave either, I have no hate for Canon, they just aren't making anything I want at the moment. If I ever decide Fuji isn't meeting my needs, Canon is the first company I'll have a look at for a potential switch. May as well stay in the loop, plus I like a lot of the community, especially from the Discord.
I didn't know we had a discord?!

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Funny, I was just thinking that theoretically I could drop out of the group too, for the opposite reason: I think I've got enough camera gear now to last me the rest of my life. I bought my core EF outfit in 1995 (14, 24TS, 50/1.0, 100Mac non-USM, 200/1.8) and had at least some of them until 2019, call it 24 years, but I didn't buy most of it when it was freshly-issued. Assuming I die at 84, I'll probably die looking at Canon's next mount...

But as you say I like talking with the people here. I've never been on another forum.

The main practical reason to stay is to follow the news of the R5 MkII and a 50/1.4 (and of course the 35/1.2). I suppose it was here I learned of the R coming and made my strategic decision to ditch all my EF gear while prices were good. It helped knowing exactly when the 135/1.8 came out as 135/2 prices dropped 20% over the next month or two.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Funny, I was just thinking that theoretically I could drop out of the group too, for the opposite reason: I think I've got enough camera gear now to last me the rest of my life. I bought my core EF outfit in 1995 (14, 24TS, 50/1.0, 100Mac non-USM, 200/1.8) and had at least some of them until 2019, call it 24 years, but I didn't buy most of it when it was freshly-issued. Assuming I die at 84, I'll probably die looking at Canon's next mount...

But as you say I like talking with the people here. I've never been on another forum.

The main practical reason to stay is to follow the news of the R5 MkII and a 50/1.4 (and of course the 35/1.2). I suppose it was here I learned of the R coming and made my strategic decision to ditch all my EF gear while prices were good. It helped knowing exactly when the 135/1.8 came out as 135/2 prices dropped 20% over the next month or two.
I'm still young enough that presumably there will be another mount in my future, assuming SLR's are still a thing. Especially since the mount I'm on is ten years old already.

Upvote 0