I once was in love with my RP........

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
"A Tale of Two Bodies"

A while back, when I had a 5Div and one of the M's for a secondary body / backup, I grew to be very disappointed in my APS-C results (another topic for another day) so when the RP became available, selling my EF-M lenses and body and getting the smallest and lightest full frame Canon camera at an almost financial wash seemed a no-brainer. I'd have two FF cameras, one an amazing pro-level and the other more portable. The RP got me hooked. I soon was using the RP as my primary camera, able to get some very reasonable images with adapted EF lenses, and the DSLR was sitting. Histogram in the EVF, exposure simulation, and almost DSLR controls wooed me. Despite some limitations, the mirrorless world got me hooked. Over time, I was able to get an R5 and sell the 5Div. Everyone should have these problems (insert sarcasm Emoji here) but that is my recent history.

Now, I have been taken with the R5. The RP is sitting. I have carried both cameras to have two different lens combinations and the RP just is not the same. Maybe the RP "love affair" is over. I am not ready to sell the secondary body nor can I afford to get a different "image capturing mistress." I have thought about an R or an R6, but it won't happen.

Just throwing this out there for your thoughts. I am going to be loyal to my present camera family but........ :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If you are going to have multiple cameras, each needs a purpose otherwise you are better off not having multiple. If the cameras are too similar one will sit and the other will get used.

I probably use my M6-II more than my R5 just because it's a lot more portable. Last time I was on foot with the M6, I also had my M50 with me. I stuck the 11-22mm lens on it just in case I decided I needed a wide angle shot (since the M6-II had the Tamron 18-200). I didn't actually end up using the M50 for anything other than a spare card holder but it was nice knowing I wouldn't have to change lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I understand your problem. The RP is now so cheap that it's better to keep it as your secondary body or even as your emergency body in case of a problem with your R5 (hope that never happens to you!) than to sell it for a few hundred dollars (here, in Québec, you can buy it new for the equivalent of around 1 000 US$).

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Ah,
“comparison is the thief of joy”
I have the M50 which tbh is more than I really need, but as the rites of passage go on these kind of hobby forums, I bought a M6ii. The M50 seldom saw use thereafter.

Likewise I bought a RP, now my 6dii never sees use. My closet is like a personal time capsule of my photography journey over the past three decades.

There’s a pattern emerging here. We feel the constant almost relentless need/urge to move up but we often don’t know why until we buy.

My R journey has suddenly and quite surprisingly derailed. I’ve caught myself in the cold light of early morning and realised I was losing sight of what photography was/is all about….merely capturing a moment!! Hence I’m staying put. I’ve simply had enough…..Knowing that I ‘could’ buy a R5 if I really wanted to doesn’t no longer seem justifiable anymore. Maybe I’ve learnt self constraint?
Woah, that’s been a expensive lesson!!

Like a child that gorged on chocolate until he was sick - I’ve learnt to say no.

Upvote 0