image.canon has been down for more than 72 hours, and no one knows why

There is an update on the image.canon site now...

Important Notice
Thank you for using image.canon.
On the 30th of July, we identified an issue within the 10GB long term storage on image.canon. Some of the original photo and video data files have been lost. We have confirmed that the still image thumbnails of the affected files have not been affected.
In order to conduct further review, we have temporarily suspended both the mobile app and web browser service of image.canon.
Information regarding the resumption of service and contact information for customer support will be made available soon.
There has been no leak of image data.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wasn't necessarily meaning just the reliability of the cloud servers/hardware, but also being able to access "the cloud". Internet and cell service outages/blackouts do happen and not everywhere in the country/world is covered.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "you kids get off my lawn", but no tech is 100% reliable 100% of the time and you need to have a plan B and plan C and I don't trust the cloud for 100%/100% access to certain things. That's why ALL of my music and ALL of my pictures reside locally on my iPhone, instead of the cloud.

FWIW, with your iPhone you can have your pictures on the cloud and set the phone to 'download originals'. The downside is that AFAICT pictures won't be included in backups anymore.

What I currently do:
  • RAW and TIFFs on an external SSD with an LR catalog
  • RAW, TIFFs and LR catalog backed up to a local NAS with RAID6
  • JPEGs exported to flickr and marked as private
  • JPEGs exported to iCloud, iPhoto Library on a different external SSD with 'download originals' enabled
I still need a good off-site solution for the originals, I'm leaning towards backblaze/tarsnap/etc and/or an extra NAS at my parents house.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Well, I don't. And there's no prospect of such where I live.

I DO have a NAS, but it's under my control and certainly isn't a "cloud." I do back it up, by storing copies of it at other physical locations.

Not to be blunt, but if the internet is important to your job or workflow and you're living somewhere that you can't get better than cellular, you're living in the wrong place. So discussing the pros and cons of cloud storage in such terms is irrelevant because 1) it represents a small minority (people with money for expensive audio-visual equipment but no access to high-speed internet) and 2) the fix is on the client end, not the provider end. I live somewhere that has great internet access, but as a result I would need to drive or fly 1,000 miles or more to get to a place unspoiled by light pollution for astrophotography. Every situation has trade-offs.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Not to be blunt, but if the internet is important to your job or workflow and you're living somewhere that you can't get better than cellular, you're living in the wrong place. So discussing the pros and cons of cloud storage in such terms is irrelevant because 1) it represents a small minority (people with money for expensive audio-visual equipment but no access to high-speed internet) and 2) the fix is on the client end, not the provider end. I live somewhere that has great internet access, but as a result I would need to drive or fly 1,000 miles or more to get to a place unspoiled by light pollution for astrophotography. Every situation has trade-offs.

Well, it's my personal stuff, and it's a price I pay.

Whether you choose to dismiss people like me or not, not everyone lives in internet nirvana, and the cloud won't be for them.

Upvote 0