Image.canon is Ending Support for Certain Cameras

jabird56

Explorer
CR Pro
Oct 16, 2018
Central Florida
Saw this news release from image.canon a few days ago, where they are planning to stop supporting certain cameras:

News
February 14th, 2023

【Important Notice】 Change of supported models due to security enhancement

Thank you for using image.canon.

image.canon will end support for the following products at the following period in order to enhance security.
End of June 2023
After the support ends, you will no longer be able to upload images from these products to image.canon*. Some products will continue to be supported by image.canon after upgrading the firmware version.

Images already uploaded to image.canon will continue to be stored and you will be able to view, download, transfer to connected services, share by emails and transfer to apps.We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding. *For CS100, image sharing via image.canon will also be disabled.

[Applicable products]
20 models that will no longer be supported by image.canon
EOS series:M5, M6, M100, M2, 6D, 70D, 80D, Kiss X80 / Rebel T6 / 1300D, Kiss X8i / Rebel T6i / 750D, X9 / Rebel SL2 / 200D , X9i / Rebel T7i / 800D, 8000D / Rebel T6S / 760D, 9000D / 77D
PowerShot series:G1X Mark II, G3X, G5X, SX530 HS, SX730 HS
IXUS / ELPH series:IXUS 180 / IXUS 182 / ELPH 190 IS
Connect Station :CS100

14 models that will continue to be supported by image.canon once the product’s firmware has been upgraded
EOS series:5D Mark IV, 6D Mark II, Kiss X90 / Rebel T7 / 2000D / 1500D, 4000D / 3000D / Rebel T100
PowerShot series:G1X Mark III, G7X Mark II, G9X Mark II, SX420 IS, SX430 IS / SX432 IS, SX540 HS, SX620 HS, SX720 HS
IXUS / ELPH series:IXUS 190, IXUS 285 HS / ELPH 360 HS

[Schedule]
End of May 2023 (expected) :
Firmware available for 14 models

End of June 2023 (expected) :
End support for image uploading from 19 camera models and image sharing by CS100.

The firmware upgrade is scheduled to be released on Canon's product page. We will announce on this website after the release.

--
https://image.canon/

Last edited:

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't see much point in it for non-wifi cameras, and when I tried to use it, the experience was horrible. Then this happened: https://www.canon-europe.com/press-...s-of-a-portion-of-image-data-for-image-canon/
Is that the sort of value adding that Canon's customers from 2016-today want? It adds layers to me. More friction on a product that >91% of users migrated away from because of those layers.

With any smartphone take a photo... edit a bit to crop then send or auto upload to Google Photos or Flickr.

With image.canon... ???

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
No surprise since your phone is owned by Google if it's an Android - and you can anyway install applications from Google or others anyway (as long as they are accepted by a store). You can't do that on a Canon camera - nor the firmware is updated so often to keep it updated for services APIs changes. In some ways having a standard Canon gateway the camera uploads the images to, and the gateway then has the kept-to-date "plug-in" to route photos to the desired service could be a good idea. The problem then becomes making such gateway good enough to deliver a smooth "experience" to users. That's if you wish to be able to upload from a camera directly. Otherwise just use a tethered phone and move the gateway there - still Canon needs someone able to write good software which looks the issues, especially for "free" services.

Upvote 0