Image quality & 6D

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my camera and the only feature I really am after is IMAGE QUALITY. No 100 fps or iso 1mil..
I only ever have used a 5D classic and a 6D, the 6D does produce nice files but I also have never used a +30mp camera. I shoot landscape and I do portraits and a few weddings a year.
With that said, would the 6D2, 5D3 give better images?
I know glass plays a big part and i shoot A LOT with the 135 f2 and love it. Do I just have gas or what's up?

If the images are in focus, my personal opinion is that it would be very difficult to tell the difference (in real-world scenarios) between the images of a 6D, 6D ii, and 5D iii (I own the 6D, 6Dii, and 5D iv, but not 5D iii). The big difference (to me) is that you will have more images in focus from the 6D ii (and almost certainly the 5D iii). To me, the most basic factor in image quality is focus accuracy. I also shoot weddings, and I know how difficult accurate focus can be in the cave-like darkness of many wedding receptions.
I don't understand your last question about gas......

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If the images are in focus, my personal opinion is that it would be very difficult to tell the difference (in real-world scenarios) between the images of a 6D, 6D ii, and 5D iii (I own the 6D, 6Dii, and 5D iv, but not 5D iii). The big difference (to me) is that you will have more images in focus from the 6D ii (and almost certainly the 5D iii). To me, the most basic factor in image quality is focus accuracy. I also shoot weddings, and I know how difficult accurate focus can be in the cave-like darkness of many wedding receptions.
I don't understand your last question about gas......

Gas

Gear acquisition syndrome

And yes you are correct, focus accuracy means more than Any other factor

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
Given your criteria, I would look at the 5Ds R. I have used a 6D a lot (and still own one), and I do like its image quality. Since getting a 5Ds R, my 6D has sat unused. The 5Ds R has noticeably better image quality and autofocus capability. If you downsize to 6D pixel dimensions, it also does at least as well with low light image quality. I have also used the 5Ds R with a 135 F2, and the files look great.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Focus accuracy like others said is a big issue. With DSLR's, one body may focus slightly differently from another, it isn't just lenses that vary, but lens seem to vary more than bodies.

A mirrorless body gives the most consistent autofocus and its about as accurate as autofocus gets. If you don't want to spend a lot, just wait and see what users think of the new RP. At $1600, it might be just what you are looking for. The 5D Classic can produce wonderful IQ, you can't crop images very much though.

Besides more MP, the main difference in high level cameras is better build / durability, FPS and number of AF points. The 5D MK IV does have on sensor A-D conversion that lets you boost dark areas more without adding a lot of noise, but if your images are exposed accurately, thats not a benefit.

As others have noted, landscape really benefits from more detail and better autofocus. The EOS R is becoming a favorite of landscape shooters, DPAF and little or no vibration when shooting.

The 5Ds R does not have DPAF, I'd wait to see what replaces it, you may be disappointed when the replacement arrives and you find its much better.

Upvote 0
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my camera and the only feature I really am after is IMAGE QUALITY. No 100 fps or iso 1mil..
I only ever have used a 5D classic and a 6D, the 6D does produce nice files but I also have never used a +30mp camera. I shoot landscape and I do portraits and a few weddings a year.
With that said, would the 6D2, 5D3 give better images?
I know glass plays a big part and i shoot A LOT with the 135 f2 and love it. Do I just have gas or what's up?
I went from 6D to 5D4. If you got a 5d4, it would give you wider dynamic range which might help with the weddings, white dresses and all. (also 2 card slots). I shot a lot of performance with a 6D. With good lenses it makes good files. Don't think any of those cameras would make much difference. (and a 5d4 wouldn't do much for you except improved AF and DR and 2 cards for weddings)

Upvote 0