In praise of the RF 24-105/4L

Nov 3, 2012
Ten years ago I bought my EF 24-105/4L for use with my 12MP 5D (replacing a mediocre EF 28-135). Lightroom records that I have over 24,000 images in my collection shot with this lens (not including deleted images). So it has been my most used lens. I have just replaced it with the RF version and am very happy.
- On the R, it is noticeably more compact than the EF version with adaptor
- No zoom creep as yet, and the zoom lock switch is great). Indeed the lens feels more robust, although in fairness the EF lens was getting looser with age
- It is noticeably sharper than the EF version at longer focal lengths (85mm and 105mm), especially in the corners. The EF was always good at shorter focal lengths and the RF is slightly better wide open (with notceable improvements in the corners). In fact it compares well with my primes, which have now become special purpose wide aperture or macro lenses. And if resolution is critical, I use the primes on the 5DsR.
- Something not mentioned in reviews is that it is about 1/3 stop brighter than the EF version - at f/4, this helps!
- A big difference is that it allows the high speed viewfinder setting to be used and it is now possible to track subjects when panning - this was impossible with the EF lens.

What's not to like? The lens has a noticeable warmer cast compared to my other lenses.

Looking forward to f/4 versions of the 16-35mm and 70-200mm!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Sounds like what happened to me too.
My old ef 24-105L has hundreds of thousands of photos taken by it, and it too was getting a bit loose after all these years.
When I got my R, I decided to get the rf version and I'm very happy with it.
It's a much better lens than many think and more versital than a 24-70.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
I've always liked the idea of this lens but never enough to buy it.
Had a play with the R5 at the weekend and it had one attached.
Liked the size and weight which was less than I expected.

My body has been telling me of late that the RF28-70 and RF85 are not walk about lenses and with a holiday next week, I decided to bite the bullet.
Local prices were good as well so I trawled round a few shops but to no avail.
Nipped into the 2nd hand camera shop and there was a 24-104 for sale at a very good price.
In pristine condition with no signs of usage at all, so I bought it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I quite like the RF 24-105. I’ve used it for travel (paired with an adapted EF 70-300L), and mounted on the R it’s become my around-the-house camera/lens combo.
So good to see you back. :) Has not been the same without you.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
Ten years ago I bought my EF 24-105/4L for use with my 12MP 5D (replacing a mediocre EF 28-135). Lightroom records that I have over 24,000 images in my collection shot with this lens (not including deleted images). So it has been my most used lens. I have just replaced it with the RF version and am very happy.
- On the R, it is noticeably more compact than the EF version with adaptor
- No zoom creep as yet, and the zoom lock switch is great). Indeed the lens feels more robust, although in fairness the EF lens was getting looser with age
- It is noticeably sharper than the EF version at longer focal lengths (85mm and 105mm), especially in the corners. The EF was always good at shorter focal lengths and the RF is slightly better wide open (with notceable improvements in the corners). In fact it compares well with my primes, which have now become special purpose wide aperture or macro lenses. And if resolution is critical, I use the primes on the 5DsR.
- Something not mentioned in reviews is that it is about 1/3 stop brighter than the EF version - at f/4, this helps!
- A big difference is that it allows the high speed viewfinder setting to be used and it is now possible to track subjects when panning - this was impossible with the EF lens.

What's not to like? The lens has a noticeable warmer cast compared to my other lenses.

Looking forward to f/4 versions of the 16-35mm and 70-200mm!
Funny how you say a "mediocre EF 28-135".

And I'm sure that is a correct characterization. However, I had a Canon 40D back—way back—and shot some ducks in a small city pond. I was flabbergasted when I seen the photos! VERY SHARP, and with superb contrast and “alive” colors. I used it as my “24-70” as it almost never came off that camera.

I can only hope my new RF 24-70 2.8 gives me as much joy. (Yep, I have the lens, but STILL no camera—waiting for Adorama to deliver R5. :-{

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
I used the EF 28-135 on a 20D, paired with an EF-S 10-22 on a motorbike ride through Patagonia and recorded some memorable photos. So, yes, the lens worked well on a crop sensor. However I was disappointed with its performance on the 12 MP 5D. The EF 24-105L was a significant step up.
Frodo---You continue to bring up OLD THOUGHTS. Things I had completely forgot about.
THIS IS OFF TOPIC--but Relevant to Canon and a new camera.

Alway a story. You spoke of the 20D. Wow, I remember very vividly the new 20D was just out. It was crazy hot. I thought I HAD TO HAVE IT. Me and a zillion others--apparently.

So, I put my order and payment in with Amazon. Time went on and on for a while. No camera. No information. Then on a hunch, I started to look around the net my gut begin to tell me SOMETHING isn't right. I felt like there was some kind of fraudulent activity going on. I cannot actually say I knew what is was, but it wasn't right. (The net wasn't anything like it is now.)

Mind you this is 2004. It's in the fall, sorta like now. Weeks went buy and no camera. I began to make phone calls and sure enough my phone calls led to South America destinations and NO CAMERA. Took a bunch of work but I was able to get my $$$$ back from Amazon. When I did, I switched to Nikon D70 and the rest is history.

At that time I didn't realize that Amazon allowed 3rd party sellers. I've been very careful ever since--including the current pursuit of the new R5.

This is a crazy, "take you if we can" world.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Finally picked up this lens recently. So far IQ seems great. Noticed today that my copy seems to be experiencing some wobble on the barrel. ANybody else experience that on this lens?

Mine had about 0.022" of total play at the front when extended. Canon support said it was in tolerance.

Here was my question...
"I have the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens and noticed there is a small amount of barrel play (more-so when extended). I did a quick measurement and it appears to be around 0.022" total play at 105mm. Is this out of spec? Also what is max?"

And the reply...
"Yes, there is expected to be some movement of the front lens barrel especially when fully extended to 105mm although there should be no impact on performance in regards to focus speed and image sharpness. If you notice the lens is not functioning properly you may dubmit the lens for service along with your purchase receipt for warranty consideration."

Never got a response on the max.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well, I got my refurb 24-105 f/4.0 L finally, Tuesday of last week (it came with a refurb RP as an accessory :ROFLMAO:).

And it served me well at Yellowstone last weekend. I saw virtually no wildlife but I have a ton of pictures of geysers and other geology. And the supervolcano didn't blow up while I was there.

(I'd almost rather it did, honestly, unless it's willing to wait until after I die of old age. I live close enough to it the dust will probably kill me anyway. Besides, if it happens while I'm in the park, I could become the only person ever to die in a midair collision with a bison.)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mine had about 0.022" of total play at the front when extended. Canon support said it was in tolerance.

Here was my question...
"I have the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens and noticed there is a small amount of barrel play (more-so when extended). I did a quick measurement and it appears to be around 0.022" total play at 105mm. Is this out of spec? Also what is max?"

And the reply...
"Yes, there is expected to be some movement of the front lens barrel especially when fully extended to 105mm although there should be no impact on performance in regards to focus speed and image sharpness. If you notice the lens is not functioning properly you may dubmit the lens for service along with your purchase receipt for warranty consideration."

Never got a response on the max.

Okay, thanks a lot for that info. That's a pretty precise measurement (0.022), I think it's about half a millimeter. I reckon mine is about the same maybe up to half a millimeter more. I looked at the EF Mii version in a shop today and it had even a bit more play than mine. Still though, I find it a bit concerning that I notice it even just when walking around.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Okay, thanks a lot for that info. That's a pretty precise measurement (0.022), I think it's about half a millimeter. I reckon mine is about the same maybe up to half a millimeter more. I looked at the EF Mii version in a shop today and it had even a bit more play than mine. Still though, I find it a bit concerning that I notice it even just when walking around.

Yes, just over 1/2 mm (or between 1/64" & 1/32")... all depends on what you are use to seeing. I used a caliper all the time at work when I was in QA, so it's not a big deal to measure to the thousandths. I will say the measurement is deceiving, because it 'felt' like a whole lot more.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Now that I'm not leaving the EF-RF adaptor permanently on my R, I'm finding the RF lens cap to be a pain. The EF lens cap fitted any one of three ways. With the RF cap, it only fits on one way. Silly design.

I did what I read on fredmiranda.com: apply a bit of red nailpolish to the dent in the cap. That makes it easier to spot and get the right rotation. It's still finicky, but not infuriatingly any more.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I don´t think so. Both mounts are designed different and so are their caps. You cannot mix EF and RF lenses accidentally because of this.
But I also would like a larger mark on the cap. Something you could feel easily.
Well, considering that Canon EF lens caps and Sony lens caps fit on in any of three positions and Nikon Z lens caps fit on in any of 4 positions, I would argue the RF caps have a silly design. Canon could have made the RF mount physically incompatible with the EF and still allowed the cap to fit in different positions.

Upvote 0