In which country is the Canon EOS R3 the cheapest, and most expensive?

Mar 25, 2011
I was able to preorder the R5 and get $200 off plus the payboo thing that refunded our very high sales tax so the savings was very significant. I suspect that someone wanting a R3 who attended some of the major camera shows where B&H was involved might get a few hundred off. There was a saving on lenses as well, but I had my EF lenses.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
Well, for those planning a US trip: Oregon has no sales tax. And the photography opportunities are beyond incredible (well, if you like mountains, forests, deserts, wildlife, waterfalls, coastlines, insects, and such--if you photograph only morose people in dreary, crumbling megacities, you're screwed). Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR is a good place to order and pick up, and they do equipment rentals. Check prices vs. Blue Moon Camera, Shutterbug, Best Buy, etc...

Worth noting for foreign travelers: Crater Lake National Park, the south Oregon coast as well as Newport-Oceanside stretch, Silver Falls State Park, Columbia River Gorge from Troutdale to Hood River (both sides), and the Eagle Cap Wilderness and Cascade range for hikers. An exhaustive list could take years to compile. Even for waterfalls there's a separate book (Waterfall Lover's Guide Pacific Northwest, 5th Edition by Gregory Plumb; it includes the author's visual ratings). And should I add Washington (Olympic Peninsula! More Cascades.) or Northern California (Redwood National Park)? Go on, book a trip, order an R3, bring your partner, have some fun. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, for those planning a US trip: Oregon has no sales tax. And the photography opportunities are beyond incredible (well, if you like mountains, forests, deserts, wildlife, waterfalls, coastlines, insects, and such--if you photograph only morose people in dreary, crumbling megacities, you're screwed). Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR is a good place to order and pick up, and they do equipment rentals. Check prices vs. Blue Moon Camera, Shutterbug, Best Buy, etc...

Worth noting for foreign travelers: Crater Lake National Park, the south Oregon coast as well as Newport-Oceanside stretch, Silver Falls State Park, Columbia River Gorge from Troutdale to Hood River (both sides), and the Eagle Cap Wilderness and Cascade range for hikers. An exhaustive list could take years to compile. Even for waterfalls there's a separate book (Waterfall Lover's Guide Pacific Northwest, 5th Edition by Gregory Plumb; it includes the author's visual ratings). And should I add Washington (Olympic Peninsula! More Cascades.) or Northern California (Redwood National Park)? Go on, book a trip, order an R3, bring your partner, have some fun. :D
I'd pay the UK prices to visit to photo that scene!

Upvote 0

*favourite and forget* as the meme goes on another site.

It's been almost 10 years since I did a Grand Circle round the Grand Canyon and went to a lot of National Parks in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona (and a few State Parks to boot). So many beautiful places - indeed the "America the Beautiful Pass" for all the National Parks are aptly named.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
New Zealand also has the unlimited 5 year warranty on all Canon camera gear and 15% gst here which is higher than Australia.
If I go on a holiday overseas I can order a camera at a local shop and they send it to the airport for me to collect which means I buy it duty free and if you subtract the gst from the price then an R3 would only cost me $6,871 which isn't too bad.
Edit: the actual duty free price currently here is NZD9552.17 which is USD6,851.92 which is only $163 more than in the USA which has a Limited 1 year warranty .
If you're a professional (which I'm not) you don't pay gst either.

Some Canon gear like the RF100-500 lens are really overpriced here , it's nearly twice the price of the EF100-400ii which I already have so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to the RF version.

We have free healthcare too (which is great and a normal part of life in any civilised country) but not sure what that has to do with the price of cameras :ROFLMAO:
Don't you in theory have to pay the tax when you return to New Zealand?

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Don't you in theory have to pay the tax when you return to New Zealand?
It looks like the law has been changed and you can only buy up to $700 of goods duty free now sadly , there didn't used to be a limit

Edit : this only applies to travellers entering NZ , so I can buy an R3 duty free when I fly to Sydney or where ever after all :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Healthcare isn't 'free' anywhere. I believe most single payer/provider formats result in considerably cheaper and more efficient healthcare outcomes than the moronic and corrupted 'healthcare' system in the USA.
"Moronic and corrupted" is a good description of some aspects of the Canon pricing policy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Healthcare isn't 'free' anywhere. I believe most single payer/provider formats result in considerably cheaper and more efficient healthcare outcomes than the moronic and corrupted 'healthcare' system in the USA.
Your belief is absolutely correct. The US spends far more on healthcare with a far lower return on investment in terms of life expectancy than countries with single payer systems.

625CD8DB-A2BA-4B55-9CC6-391E115647C9.jpeg

Single-payer systems generally have an emphasis on primary/preventive care and offer the ability to get medical attention at little to no out-of-pocket cost when a problem first arises. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

/soapbox

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"Moronic and corrupted" is a good description of some aspects of the Canon pricing policy.
Possibly! I once saw an interview with a large corporation CFO and he said they made more money on currency fluctuations and hedging than retailing their product in some regions. For years Southwest Airlines made more money on fuel futures than flying customers and McDonalds, in reality, is not a fast food chain but a real estate company that earned and holds its value in freehold land transactions.

But however difficult Canon's pricing policies might be to understand to an outsider it is not on the same level of frustration and self serving corruption as the US 'healthcare' system.

P.S. I forgot TV's. 'Smart' TV sales now work on single digit percentage mark ups, typically 6%, they make their money on data collection and sales of that data not the sale of the TV....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The gorgeous landscapes, the world's most beautiful gardens, the real ales... do not forget them!
It does indeed, and I’ve just managed to win the black and white category of UK Landscape Photographer of the Year, a national competition that has over 46,000 entries and a £20,000 prize fund. So I’m feeling better off :) (The runner-up used a Nikon ;) )

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It does indeed, and I’ve just managed to win the black and white category of UK Landscape Photographer of the Year, a national competition that has over 46,000 entries and a £20,000 prize fund. So I’m feeling better off :) (The runner-up used a Nikon ;) )
Well done and please post a link!

Upvote 0