Industry News: Costco is closing all of their in-store photo centers on February 14, 2021

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Costco announced today that they are closing all of their in-store photo centers on February 14, 2021. You will still be able to order photo services via the CostcoPhotoCenter web site.
The following was sent to Costco members today.
We are writing to inform you about the upcoming closure of the photo department at all Costco locations on Sunday, February 14, 2021.
Since the introduction of camera phones and social media, the need for printing photos has steeply declined, even though the number of pictures taken continues to grow. After careful consideration, we have determined the continued decline of prints no longer requires on-site photo printing.
Digital technologies allow consumers to do more with their photos, including the ability to personalize canvas, metal & acrylic prints, or create photo books, stationery, calendars and other gifts. We will continue to ship these high-quality products and prints to your home or business...

Continue reading...

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'll be sad to see these photo centers go. But as long as they keep their main online photo center open I'll be happy. I've printed over a dozen 12"x12" lay-flat photobooks from it, and have been very happy for the great (maybe not topmost) quality and least expensive prices of any photobook sites I know. I'm glad it's still around and with very affordable shipping to your door prices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One step closer to ILCs going the way of the buggy whip. Times change and tastes change. Your grandchildern don't need shoeboxes full of 4x6 prints—they carry around thousands of photos on their phones.

How long until Costco closes it's Tire departments. With te rise of Uber/Lyft many people have stopped owning cars, therefore no need for replacement tire purchases.

Progress marches on!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
People don't have backups, not even a copy of their smartphone / PC?
For every tech savvy person I bet there is >1000 who have no clue. Plus, when you need to prioritize your budget due tp the economy, covid, etc these days, an iCloud or whatever backup plan might be on the short list of things to go.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Plus, when you need to prioritize your budget due to the economy, covid, etc these days, an iCloud or whatever backup plan might be on the short list of things to go.

If the 15GB Google gives for free aren't enough, $20/mo will get you 1TB + Photoshop from Adobe. How many people have more than that without a paying job?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If the 15GB Google gives for free aren't enough, $20/mo will get you 1TB + Photoshop from Adobe. How many people have more than that without a paying job?
It's more about not knowing, not caring, not understanding, not being informed -properly or not. We here do not represent the average user. (something that needs to be reinforced time and time again it seems) I've run into this day after day, for years!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
For every tech savvy person I bet there is >1000 who have no clue. Plus, when you need to prioritize your budget due tp the economy, covid, etc these days, an iCloud or whatever backup plan might be on the short list of things to go.
Exactly

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I have about 3 TB worth of photos. I have been paid a few times but 99.999 % of my photos are unpaid. Some of us just like taking photos for themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I have about 3 TB worth of photos. I have been paid a few times but 99.999 % of my photos are unpaid. Some of us just like taking photos for themselves.

I didn't intend to imply there aren't any such persons, just that they are a minority. With that much storage, it might make more sense to buy a couple of external HDDs, keep one away from home, and switch them every so often. A friend used to rent a locker in a gym, and kept his backup there.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
One step closer to ILCs going the way of the buggy whip. Times change and tastes change. Your grandchildern don't need shoeboxes full of 4x6 prints—they carry around thousands of photos on their phones.

How long until Costco closes it's Tire departments. With te rise of Uber/Lyft many people have stopped owning cars, therefore no need for replacement tire purchases.

Progress marches on!
Er, don’t Uber and Lyft autos need tyres?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A 4TB HDD is less than $90, have two and keep one at a friend or relatives house in a little Pelican case then sync and rotate them once a month. Cheap simple robust and doesn’t rely on any firm staying in business.

If somebody wants it I have an old Pelican case I used to do this with but have since moved to a remote NAS setup, just pay the shipping.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

Progress marches on!

Hm...I don't know anyone that has stopped owning cars. IN fact, everyone I know has MULTIPLE cars in their driveways.

I suppose not having a car might work if you live in a densely packed ultra urban environment stacked like rats on each other, like a NYC type thing.

But for most of the country (US), that's just not the case at all.

Heck, I don't see the demise of gasoline powered ICE vehicles in the US anytime really soon, even with electric vehicles starting to get slightly popular.

I do think it sad about the Costco photo development in store going away. I saw something the other day that I can't remember the exact quote...but something to the effect of "never have so many people taken so many photos that so few will ever see".

Yes, so many are taking pictures, that pretty much just got to the internal memory of the phones.

More and more these days, I'm thinking an image that isn't printed and hanging on a way, is almost a waste.

Is it Friday yet?
;)

cayenne

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0