Industry News: SmugMug Acquires Flickr

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Frodo said:
ethanz said:
cayenne said:
Just curious about the seemingly negative reactions to anything SmugMug....

Can someone give me some insight to potential negative things about SmugMug?

I've been considering setting up a commercial site through them to see if I can sell some images/wall art.

I'd not heard anything negative about them before, and while researching between SmugMug and Zenfolio, I'd just about decided on SmugMug for features, etc.

Anyway, I'd be interested in why many of you pros seem to be feeling a bit negative towards SmugMug. Is it service? Price? Policies?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I'm curious about the same thing. I've had a great experience with Smugmug. Their features are great.

When considering a business website, I first had a play with WordPress, but quickly found this limiting. Then I did a review of most of the paid sites, including Zenfolio, SmugMug and Squarespace. I did not try any of these sites hands-on as this is a lot of work, but read quite a number of reviews. One thing about SmugMug is the name. "Mug" in New Zealand at least is slang for "face", so I did not want potential clients to associate me with a website for smug people.

In the end I went with Squarespace, which seems to provide everything I need (online sales were not a requirement) and it appears that I can post albums (galleries) of personal photos and also for clients (password protected). I would value thoughts of thos who have used Squarespace for the latter function.
Interesting.

I have my domain already purchased that I want to market under, and plan to basically replace the SmugMug branding with my own name.....

As I understand it, the only place smugmug will show up, is the final shopping cart.....although I have heard rumblings that with some CSS manipulations, you can get rid of that there too.....

So, anyway, my plan with SmugMug or any other hosting site, would be to put my own domain and branding on there anyway......

cayenne

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
cayenne said:
Frodo said:
ethanz said:
cayenne said:

I've been considering setting up a commercial site through them to see if I can sell some images/wall art.

I'd not heard anything negative about them before, and while researching between SmugMug and Zenfolio, I'd just about decided on SmugMug for features, etc.

Anyway, I'd be interested in why many of you pros seem to be feeling a bit negative towards SmugMug. Is it service? Price? Policies?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I'm curious about the same thing. I've had a great experience with Smugmug. Their features are great.

When considering a business website, I first had a play with WordPress, but quickly found this limiting. Then I did a review of most of the paid sites, including Zenfolio, SmugMug and Squarespace. I did not try any of these sites hands-on as this is a lot of work, but read quite a number of reviews. One thing about SmugMug is the name. "Mug" in New Zealand at least is slang for "face", so I did not want potential clients to associate me with a website for smug people.

In the end I went with Squarespace, which seems to provide everything I need (online sales were not a requirement) and it appears that I can post albums (galleries) of personal photos and also for clients (password protected). I would value thoughts of thos who have used Squarespace for the latter function.
Interesting.

I have my domain already purchased that I want to market under, and plan to basically replace the SmugMug branding with my own name.....

As I understand it, the only place smugmug will show up, is the final shopping cart.....although I have heard rumblings that with some CSS manipulations, you can get rid of that there too.....

So, anyway, my plan with SmugMug or any other hosting site, would be to put my own domain and branding on there anyway......

cayenne

If you want to see what that looks like, check out my site. I use my own domain. http://www.ethanzentz.com/
I only see a small smugmug name at the very bottom and in the shopping cart.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
ethanz said:
cayenne said:
Frodo said:
ethanz said:
cayenne said:

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Interesting.

cayenne

If you want to see what that looks like, check out my site. I use my own domain. http://www.ethanzentz.com/

Very nice!!

That's what I plan to do soon.

I've heard, that will some CSS manipulations, you can even get rid of that last little smugmug branding on your shopping cart.....?
;)

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
cayenne said:
ethanz said:

Very nice!!

That's what I plan to do soon.

I've heard, that will some CSS manipulations, you can even get rid of that last little smugmug branding on your shopping cart.....?
;)

Probably. But I really don't care about it. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to have a third party processor branding on my site.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Some previous album links no longer available?

Some, but not all of the links to Flickr albums now lead to an Error 403 message when opened by someone who was previously able to access the link.

As I include personal photos and sometimes client photos, I set the permission on most of the photos in Flickr such that they are only visible to me. This allows others to whom I send a link of the album to view the album and download photos. This worked fine.

However, my wife noted that she is no longer able to access Flickr albums through some previously sent links. She is required to sign in.

I'm not sure why this is occurring on some albums and not others, but it has only happened since the SmugMug takeover.

This would be a real problem for me, so help / ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0