Industry News: Sony teases a major alpha mirrorless announcement

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It's hardly undermining the integrity of the forum mangling a repetitive, meaningless cliche, which had become irritating to some. At least it shows Craig has a sense of humour.
I see censorship very, very critical.
There are many, many other things in the internet that should be taken with much more attention - but still very sensitive.
I would be interested if you would find this funny if you were the victim and your phrase as harmless as I see mine.
But to me this case is cleared up and closed.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I see censorship very, very critical.
There are many, many other things in the internet that should be taken with much more attention - but still very sensitive.
I would be interested if you would find this funny if you were the victim and your phrase as harmless as I see mine.
But to me this case is cleared up and closed.
As you ask, yes I would find it amusing and I wouldn’t consider myself as a victim as I see the funny side of it. I can also see that others might not see that and be offended and feel frustrated. You are entitled to take it seriously. We are all different and find different things funny and also get offended differently.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As you ask, yes I would find it amusing and I wouldn’t consider myself as a victim as I see the funny side of it. I can also see that others might not see that and be offended and feel frustrated. You are entitled to take it seriously. We are all different and find different things funny and also get offended differently.
What prevents me from finding it even remotely funny is simply the lack of transparency.

I feel like any action that furthers the distrust of written media and adds to confusion and misinformation in this day and age is playing with fire. There's often an angle from which it is justified, but to actually achieve the desired impact and change people's opinion and what they put forward into the world, I believe discussion and respect are more effective long term measures.

For example:

But as long as the R1 can replicate or improve upon that (we all hope for a global shutter) then I would say that Canon is not the best.
Without context, the change makes this user look like they are writing none sense.

So now, each time 'the best', 'the greatest' and a potentially large number of other, as of now undisclosed, phrases is used in a sentence, it has to be substituted with the d word in order to determine if a poster made a valid statement (or joke), or if they are actually whacky.

Or in the case of Maximilian, making it so posters have to question their grip on words when proof reading their posts after posting.

As I said, of course CR guy is in his right to do it. But it is a disservice to the forum members who contribute a lot to this place, making it one of the most enjoyable online communities I know.

And of course the precedent is not great. If even a simple meme is valid justification for secret censorship, it is just reasonable to be more distrustful and critical of interactions on this platform going forward, and that's a shame in my opinion.

That's my view and reason for not seeing the humor. No point in elaborating further, though of course it would be appreciated if there was more transparency going forward.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's troublesome largely because you're replacing one thing (d-word) with something close to being opposite. It works when the person using the d-word is being sarcastic (as I invariably have been when I used it), but when they're using it straight (as in "Canon is not d-word" the reversal plays badly.

But even if the reversal weren't there, even "not d-word" doesn't mean exactly the same thing as "the best," they're just both positive things to say. So finer meaning could get lost, and it may not be apparent what's going on, someone's meaning could be altered in a way that doesn't make it obvious it was altered.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
the whole "canon is ................" is played out. It's time to move on. I applied the censor and will remove it one day once people have forgotten about it. As you can see, it takes over threads.

Trying to get creative by circumventing it will be frowned upon.

Thanks for your understanding,
Craig
Thank you very much for changing the censorship so that doomed (the d-word) now appears as ******* (that's one star too many by the way), making it apparent to everybody that censorship is applied and therefore providing a much appreciated degree of transparancy. Still not a fan of the move, but I want to express thanks for listening to the feedback where it is due.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Thank you very much for changing the censorship so that ******* (the d-word) now appears as ******* (that's one star too many by the way), making it apparent to everybody that censorship is applied and therefore providing a much appreciated degree of transparancy. Still not a fan of the move, but I want to express thanks for listening to the feedback where it is due.
I thought the d-word stood for dynamic range ? Now I’m really confused......

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0