Industry News: Sony officially announces the alpha FX3 cinema camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sony is set to unveil the Sony FX3 cinema alpha series full-frame mirrorless camera. This new body carries over some of the features and hardware from the Sony A7S III.
FX3 Product Highlights:

Compact and lightweight body design with high operability for hand-held shooting, gimbal and drone-mounted work
Multiple 1/4-20 UNC threaded mounting points to easily attach compatible accessories
Detachable XLR handle unit with two XLR/TRS audio inputs and one 3.5mm stereo jack
S-Cinetone™ look – inspired by the color science of the digital cinema camera VENICE – which is also used in FX9 and FX6 Cinema Line cameras
Built-in cooling fan enables effective heat dissipation to support uninterrupted 4K 60p recording
Records up to 4K 120pii
10.2 megapixel full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R™ sensor and BIONZ XR™ image processing engine
Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO expandable to 409,600 for very low light...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Honestly looks like a fun camera, at that price though. I know I am not willing to switch for the same price as a c70 that has less features.
I don’t know what is in the kool aid over here on CR

First, These two cameras are not the same Price, fx3 will be no more than 4000 usd .

And I just used an A7siii this weekend(The evf froze up and blacked out multiple times, ugh), but the fx3 does not have less features than the C70. There are Different features but there are ALOT of things you can do with the fx3/A7siii that you can’t with the C70 and vice versa.

This is a very good camera for the money and I hope Canon follows suit. Canon R6c or R1c would make me pretty jolly.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2018

First, These two cameras are not the same Price, fx3 will be no more than 4000 usd .

And I just used an A7siii this weekend(The evf froze up and blacked out multiple times, ugh), but the fx3 does not have less features than the C70. There are Different features but there are ALOT of things you can do with the fx3/A7siii that you can’t with the C70 and vice versa.

This is a very good camera for the money and I hope Canon follows suit. Canon R6c or R1c would make me pretty j

Agreed, this and the C70 are very different and shouldn't be compared so directly. With that being said, I still find this camera interesting but would prefer the C70 based on how I work.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA

This is a very good camera for the money and I hope Canon follows suit. Canon R6c or R1c would make me pretty jolly.
The rumored price is 4700 euro. That's 5,500 usd. So, tell me, what's the price of a c70?

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Can’t figure out why someone would buy this over the A7S3?
• XLRs can be added to the A7S3 and include a microphone.
• Battery grip can be added to the A7S3
• A7S3 includes the EVF
This. I guess I would say the same thing.

Sony’s reasoning does check out though. They wanted to provide an option to their customers that didn’t have the confidence or money to enter into the fx line. I like this thought because in the process, they didn’t take any features out. The camera did what the hardware would allow it.

This is my thing. I look at my R6 and go boy I wish it had the same juice as a A7siii in video.
Spoiler, If you frame your shot, the A7siii is a great stills camera. There is a price difference but even over heating aside the software COULD have the same features.

I just used an A7siii and shooting 10bit 1080 was something I didn’t know I wanted the option of.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Can’t figure out why someone would buy this over the A7S3?
• XLRs can be added to the A7S3 and include a microphone.
• Battery grip can be added to the A7S3
• A7S3 includes the EVF
I would take active cooling over an EVF any day.
Sony conservatively rates A7S III to run 4K 60 FPS for 1 hour.
They rate FX3 to run 4K 60 FPS for 13 hours.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Everything the c70 should have been. Canon should have made a videocentric R5. I might get a few for wedding videos and events. The c70 autofocus is terrible( seriously canon fix that shit asap) and a bit heavy or weird on a gimbal.
I like the C70 the way it is but if Canon were to release R5 and R6 active cooling then it would be game over for everyone else.
Panasonic showed that was the way to go with the S1H.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I like the C70 the way it is but if Canon were to release R5 and R6 active cooling then it would be game over for everyone else.
Panasonic showed that was the way to go with the S1H.
Canon finally makes a smaller cinema camera and the AF is broken. It's crazy. I hope they make somereal f2.0 zooms for s35. the speedbooster thing is cool but the af on my 18-35 is very crappy and the range is small the image is very nice though.

Upvote 0