Industry News: Sony announces their new flagship camera, the alpha a1

Sep 20, 2020
True! However, I think the time for Canon producing a 5D5 has passed. It would have made sense if Canon had codeveloped the 5D5 as the mirrored version of the R5: same sensor, IBIS, frame rate, etc.
I would personally pay more money for a DSLR R5 but I would not sell my R5 because I appreciate the adaptable mount.
I am not sure that ship has sailed but Canon would have to catch up on R5, R6, C70, RF lens, and lens adapter inventory first

Upvote 0
Why would you output 50MP at 16 x 3 = 48 bits per pixel after up-sizing from the Bayer pixel elements? And there is NO reason to output 16 x 4 = 64 bits per pixel as both G pixel elements are green and you just have one final G value per up-sized RGB pixel. Just output the friggin raw file @ 16 bits per pixel element to avoid bloating it up by a factor of 3x. Or output a lossless compressed raw at < 16 bits per pixel element. Also, who outputs the entire 3:2 screen for video (assuming you're talking about video)? They always chop it down to something wider, like 16:9 so a huge chunk of the pixels aren't stored (or even needing any processing at all) in the video stream anyway.

--

Canon outputs the full Y channel (i.e. Luminance) for Canny edge (kinda like SOBEL) detection for it's eye focus so that is 50 megabytes right there at 8 bits and 100 megabits at 16 bits. For the JPEG and HEIF compression they ALSO sub-sample RGBG down to YCC so that each channel can be done separately for the FULL 3:2 aspect ratio output.

AND since Canon can do FULL RAW (that is likely RLE or Run Length Compressed), you are looking at a MINIMUM of 50 megabytes of data for the RAW BAYER pattern at 8-bits or up to 100 megabytes for the 16-bit Raw Bayer pattern. The various Interframe video codecs MUST HAVE the full RGB or YCbCr frames in order to figure out what is an I-frame and what are Delta frames for long GOP (Group of Frames) video compression.

Even at 16:9 DCI 8K 8192 x 4320 pixels YCbCr at the 4:2:2 10-bit most people record at, you are STILL looking at a minimum of 44.2 megabytes PER FRAME for the full Y-channel sample. 11.1 Megabytes for the Cb channel sample and another 11.1 Megabytes for the Cr channel sample so for EACH FRAME during video compression you are looking at 66.4 megabytes uncompressed PER FRAME which then gets encoded down to the proper I-frame or Delta frame information.

Sooooooo....no matter WHAT HAPPENS... Canon and Sony are processing AT LEAST 66.4 megabytes per frame for STILLS OR VIDEO !!! That requires a FAAAAAAST ADC/DAC/DSP chipset egro which is WHY the Canon DIGIC and Sony BIONZ are 1.0 GHz to 1.5 GHx ARM Quadcore Cortex A5 cpu cores .....OR.... the later 8-core ARM chips!

How do I know this? Cuz I looked at the Canon BIOS microcode so I can mod it to my hearts delight. You should see my menu options. They look like something out of a horror novel with movie references and tiny pirate skull icons! I'll post a photo of my modded Canon 1Dc menu options later. I should note that our parent company frowns on me modding the newer 1Dx2's, 1Dx3's and R5's microcode!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that's just Harry saying Harry things. Don't question it too much :)

The microcode of Canon Cameras tells me they are doing some pretty interesting trickery to stuff the stills and video data through the cameras ....BUT...... they STILL need a minimum of the high-end 1.0 Ghz ARM-based cpus for the new cameras and looks like it's the 1.5 GHz models for the R5. That must cost at least $150 USD for those CPU's even at bulk pricing!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a former owner of a bunch of 1-series bodies, I can say I preferred the A9's flexibility with being able to add or subtract a grip. I did NOT like the A9's lack of weather sealing around that interface, though.

I primarily shoot the R5 now, and the weather sealing between grip and body appears to be pretty darned good, and that is the best of both words for me. Lets me choose. I know this is anathema for pros who want to look pro, but when doing events, I like to have one r5 gripped and the other on a belt holster, and gripped cameras stink on a holster.

I can offer you a suggestion for that!

I put the SIGMA 150 to 600 Sports Zoom on my 1Dc for video clips which I usually carry handheld attached to a big clip-on arm-strap so I don't drop it. The 1Dx2/3's with my Otus 55mm lens I put in a custom leather camera cover/case which is V-lock clipped into a chest mount with a big quick-release unlock button on it.

I got that idea from a combination of my Dad's old German SLR cameras which had those fancy and fashionable textured leather camera covers with their built-in V-lock clip and the quick-release button came from an idea coming out of the Colt-45 concealed carry chest holsters which lets me pull out weapons FAST!!!

So combining common mil-spec and custom camera technologies, we can create workable solutions for reporters and other pro photographers so they can carry multiple cameras on a chest mount. I should note you should do the chest mount ONLY with the 55mm or shorter lenses! Anything else is a tad heavy and unbalanced. I am physically larger than most camera operators at 6'2" and 250 lbs it's it's not a big deal for me carrying a lot of weight on my body but for smaller people keep your 2nd chest mount camera to 55mm and shorter lenses!

V

Upvote 0
I have to agree - "It's just Harry being Harry!" :ROFLMAO:
In fact, some of his intricately detailed posts are so hilarious in the combined brilliance & absurdity that I really miss seeing more of them! ;)

So come on, Harry, what else ya' got for us? :unsure:

--

The patent documents for the new 16K camera system are being released probably this weekend or early next week. Would that help?

V

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A global shutter is a completely different technology compared to Sonys stacked one. Calling this rushed does not seem acurate. I would wait and see if Canon actually pulls of a global shutter and what that means for image quality and cost in the real world. Before we can see what compromises go along with each of the approaches, it is not possible to evaluate the choices made here. So if Sony believes their stacked design is the better option, that may well be an informed decision and not at all 'rushed'.

Ever heard of the Pregius S, Sony's stacked sensor plus global shutter? The only compromise with global shutter is costs, it's like solid state batteries, it's superior in every way but just too expensive right now. Apparently Sony could not pull it off at $6500 this year, yes, let's see if Canon can.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
--

The patent documents for the new 16K camera system are being released probably this weekend or early next week. Would that help?

V
But that was just a one-liner! I was looking forward to something much more intricate & involved!

After all, I thought that the "early next week" announcement you mentioned was for a "bi-nocular apo-chomatically advanced robotic O-LED16K camera system", which at 16K x 2 would make is a "32K Bi-Apo-Chro-RobO-LED system", right? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ha, great point. This is part of why I think global shutter is so important and industry changing, it totally removes the need for any moving parts in a camera. Even with my strong support of it, I'm stuck in an old frame of mind that it will make obsolete!

I do wonder if Canon would keep the shutter as a sort of electronic sensor cover when lenses are changed or power is turned off, I love that feature on my R5. Maybe they could easily design a sensor cover that's one big piece to seal the sensor without worrying about shutter blades breaking.

Indeed. This is probably the most useful quality of life feature in the R5. With the sensor unprotected by a mirror and sitting so close to the lens mount, it's almost impossible NOT to get something on the sensor if you're doing a bunch of lens changes, and it is awful to have to lightroom out 1000 smudges because a speck of lint or dust got on the sensor.

Of course, it wouldn't need to be a performance shutter, any ol' covering will do :)

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Indeed. This is probably the most useful quality of life feature in the R5. With the sensor unprotected by a mirror and sitting so close to the lens mount, it's almost impossible NOT to get something on the sensor if you're doing a bunch of lens changes, and it is awful to have to lightroom out 1000 smudges because a speck of lint or dust got on the sensor.

Of course, it wouldn't need to be a performance shutter, any ol' covering will do :)
Well, if they don't need a high quality physical shutter, they maybe they could add something like a neutral density filter to move in when desired or for long exposure shots or for sensor protection when changing lenses?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
What you say makes a lot of sense but imagine having none of those bodies.
This one camera can replace A9 II, A7R iV, A7S III, and FX9.
A1 is short of each of those cameras but it looks like a steal next to that collection of cameras.
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves just yet. The A1 can’t even load luts. It is rated much lower than the A7S III for low light. It’s lower resolution than the A7R IV, and it is not a professional level video body like the FX6. It can replace exactly one camera on your list... the A9 II. That’s it. Everything else would be a compromise... and an expensive one at that.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Ever heard of the Pregius S, Sony's stacked sensor plus global shutter? The only compromise with global shutter is costs, it's like solid state batteries, it's superior in every way but just too expensive right now. Apparently Sony could not pull it off at $6500 this year, yes, let's see if Canon can.
Yes, cost - so what do you do if you are not willing to raise a products total cost? Compromise some other aspect of the system. That's what I was refering to.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Well, if they don't need a high quality physical shutter, they maybe they could add something like a neutral density filter to move in when desired or for long exposure shots or for sensor protection when changing lenses?

I'd love that! I don't know how physically they'd engineer it (since it can't be a single piece of glass) but if there were a way to make it happen, I'd pay bucks for that feature!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'd love that! I don't know how physically they'd engineer it (since it can't be a single piece of glass) but if there were a way to make it happen, I'd pay bucks for that feature!
Why couldn't it be a single piece? Just let it slide in from the side. The RF bodies are a good bit wider than the sensor is.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
So... its basically a 5DS for 3 times the price, with less noise, more DR and a few more frames per sec :p
Actually the read noise and DR of the 5DS in normal photography isn't that much different to your A7rIV or Nikon D850 but that would be the least of your worries in trying to keep up with this a1 ! ;)

Upvote 0