Industry News: Sony announces their new flagship camera, the alpha a1

It appears to me (I'm the guy who did those tests for all the CFe brands on the R5) that the buffer is about the same in terms of gross memory between the A1 and the R5. We'll see when we get an A1 in hand to test. But the CFe A card is going to have 1/2 the performance of the CFe B cards, so the buffer will clear in 2x the time it takes to clear the buffer on the R5.

That said, the best cards clear the R5 buffer in 4-6 seconds, so doubling that is not too terrible. The data you cite below in The Digital Picture table must have used one of the slower cards. The better data we have indicates that the A1, after shooting for about 5 seconds, will need to clear buffer for about 8-12 seconds, depending on how fast your card is. It should be noted that the ONLY card manufacturer making CFe A cards is Sony. I've tested them in an A7s III, and they're pretty good (if expensive and not terribly large). Sony's CFe B cards are among the fastest in that category.

Most realistically, people aren't going to be shooting in 30 fps. They're more likely to be shooting at lower rates because, well, sanity. As a result, they'll likely take more like 8 seconds to fill a buffer and another 8 to clear it. If you burst on and off, you might manage to not hit the end of the buffer, but you're likely to hit it much more often than you do in the R5. The R5, by the way, is fantastic in this regard. I'm a long-time perpetrator of spray-and-pray with wildlife shooting, and I come against the buffer so infrequently, that I've done entire shoots mistakenly writing to my SD card and never noticed because the large cache was protecting me from hitting the wall.

Updated data on R5 CFexpress performance across brands here. They'll be adding the CFe Type A data shortly, as well as data on Nikon and Panasonic CFe Type B performance (which wasn't great).
Thanks for the link!
I might have missed it but all the tests appear to be using the CFe card only ie not when writing to both SD and CFe cards at the same time. Is that correct? It would be good to understand if there are limitations especially for the buffer clearing rates when using a SD card as well. I have a Sandisk 128GB USH-II SD card which was one of the top 10 in write speeds @ ~200MB/s but this pales into insignificance compared to the CFe B card.
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/

Upvote 0
What do you shoot today? Does one REALLY make such a decisions, owning some ecosystem, to not wait .... even for something like 10-12 months?
I don't own a camera right now, I'm using my brothers Canon 7D, which was actually mine, I sold it to him five years ago He told me I could use it until I find something of my own. This is where I'm at.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Why couldn't it be a single piece? Just let it slide in from the side. The RF bodies are a good bit wider than the sensor is.

Well, if you look on an R5, there's absolutely no space to the left, and to the right (grip side), there's a battery. I suppose they could make it two batteries, and bisect it. :)

Upvote 0
It also means the Canon R5 is STILL THE SUPERIOR CAMERA, since I get Hollywood Cinema-specific DCI 8k (1.89:1 aspect ratio 8192 by 4320 pixels) recording AND up-to-45 minutes at 8K when I put in our CF-express slot to external 4TB SSD-drive system on it which removes the R5 card slot file save limits!

I hope you don't mind asking me about details on this solution as it would address a challenge I'm faced with as well.

Are you using the ZITAY CFexpress to SSD Converter? Or a different adapter?

Upvote 0
I hope you don't mind asking me about details on this solution as it would address a challenge I'm faced with as well.

Are you using the ZITAY CFexpress to SSD Converter? Or a different adapter?

Not the ZITAY express adapter but rather one we found for sale in Singapore on eBay. It works with CFexpress Type B slots which simply extends out to a USB-A adapter. If you open it up it has some RAM chips used as a buffer and an IO chip set which converts the incoming data out to a USB connection as simple USB packets.

Probably cost them $50 to make and they sell it for $250 -- The company name on the card is Tikkosan and came in one of those plain white boxes you get when you buy weird computer parts off eBay. These companies come and go and it will be under a new name probably.

Do a Google search for CF Express B Card to USB Converter and then ensure you also add the -"Card Reader" search term. The minus sign in front of the -"Card Reader" search term creates a BOOLEAN EXCLUDE command that REMOVES all references to Card Readers otherwise you will get too many CF card reader gadgets in your search results.

The reason we DID NOT GO with the Zatay is that we can attach the 20 TB Seagate hard drives for our multi-camera camera recordings. The BIOS (i.e. its internal Firmware) on the ZATAY seems to only supports 1 TB and 2TB SSD cards -- It's a finicky BIOS which they need to update to allow BIG hard drives to be attached.

For $250 USD I wasn't going to bother doing too much digging and research. I just needed something that can support Enterprise-class 20 TB Hard Drives!

V

Upvote 0
As a former owner of a bunch of 1-series bodies, I can say I preferred the A9's flexibility with being able to add or subtract a grip. I did NOT like the A9's lack of weather sealing around that interface, though.

I primarily shoot the R5 now, and the weather sealing between grip and body appears to be pretty darned good, and that is the best of both words for me. Lets me choose. I know this is anathema for pros who want to look pro, but when doing events, I like to have one r5 gripped and the other on a belt holster, and gripped cameras stink on a holster.

No, this is Anathema, but then I am not a pro :)

1611848319375.png

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
As a former owner of a bunch of 1-series bodies, I can say I preferred the A9's flexibility with being able to add or subtract a grip. I did NOT like the A9's lack of weather sealing around that interface, though.

I primarily shoot the R5 now, and the weather sealing between grip and body appears to be pretty darned good, and that is the best of both words for me. Lets me choose. I know this is anathema for pros who want to look pro, but when doing events, I like to have one r5 gripped and the other on a belt holster, and gripped cameras stink on a holster.
I used to think that when I had 1V’s, but after nearly 20 years of use I prefer the all in one nature of the digital 1 series. But these are all personal decisions based on the way we work as individuals, I never got on with belt holsters so my use case is different.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I have to ask what would impress you? I am not a Sony guy, but I can't imagine a camera with more features that resembles a hand holdable body.

I’m not impressed at either. Features? Yes. Price? $3K more than an R5 gets you what exactly?

That’s the part I’m missing and I’m sure it’s there but I’m just not smart enough to understand it.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I love the speed of the CFE card, but I'm traveling, I'm bringing the laptop, which only has a SD slot. I shoot to both cards or copy from one to the other when I have down time, but it's nice to have something I can put into the laptop without lugging around another adapter/dongle.

My CFE reader is the size of a Tic-Tac box. Oh the misery. .lolol.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The elephant in the room (one of them at least) is that the Alpha 1 is directed at the professional market but doesn't have a built-in battery grip so all that tech runs off of a single battery. This will force professionals to buy a grip adding extra cost to an already expensive body. Meanwhile, Canon and Nikon pro bodies come standard this way.

Yep - a grip makes this a $7000 US body that lags the R5 in a few areas...

30FPS is great but for crying out loud just shoot video and frame steal. 20FPS is already insane.

...and 30FPS, absolute crap ergo, and no integrated grip for $3K more than an R5 is nuts.

Convince me I’m wrong.

Upvote 0
My CFE reader is the size of a Tic-Tac box. Oh the misery. .lolol.

Now imagine your misery when you forgot the CFE reader at home and you have the time to review and edit but you can't.

I'm sure most of us are more likely to forget to bring the CFE reader than the camera or the laptop. I'd love to see laptops have CFE slots built-in, but I don't see it happening. As long as the camera and laptop have SD slots, why would you bring something extraneous?

Upvote 0