Introducing the Canon 5D Mark III

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE BAD STUFF COMPARED TO THE RUMORS:
So the fps is quite a let down compared to the rumors. :(
And the metering is the same old, nothing like the D800 metering. :(
And the price of $3500 body only is insane for not getting us the 7-7.5fps of the rumors. :(
Darn if only the 6.9fps had been true it would've made the $3500 a lot more palatable, now the price still seems a bit much. It is the mirror box that actually costs the most money, other than perhaps the sensor.

BUT THE BETTER THAN EXPECTED FROM RUMORS:
"The EOS 5D Mark III utilises the same 61-point wide-area AF system as the flagship EOS-1D X, providing exceptional sensitivity, precision and speed. One of the most advanced AF systems currently available, it features an impressive 41 cross-type points and five dual cross-type points, providing unsurpassed accuracy across the frame. The customisable AF pre-sets introduced in the EOS-1D X are also available, helping the capture of traditionally challenging subjects, and providing additional reliability in ituations where subject movement can be unpredictable. "

If they really 100% mean that, same detector, same algorithms and AF processing speed and options (although without the 1DX metering system it would seem the color tracking would have to be missing, or at least reduced to 64 blob zones instead of 100,000 zones) then maybe we finally have 1 series AF in a compact body. Something we have not seen since the ancient days of the good old EOS 3 beast.

This certainly would be most welcome. And the AF appears to be not remotely as simplified or toned down or worse as we had feared.

Finally, it seems, getting 1 series AF outside of the 1 series sure has is nice. :D

Hopefully not being tied into the 1DX meter won't make it perform much worse.

It's quite possible it might AF better than the D800. We will see.

:D

If they kit it with the 24-70II and not just the 24-105 for a big discount it would help to make the price a lot more palatable....

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Cinnamon said:
My 5D in 'Auto ISO' can only go up to 3200, and I have to manually select anything above 3200? Are they wrong, or is there something I've been doing wrong all this time?

What they mean is, that *you* can select up to 6400 all the time, but the *camera* will only select up to 3200 in auto. You have to set a Custom Function for *you* to be able to select 12k. Same as my 7D, custom functions get me to 6k and 12k, but auto is only ever 3200.
My sister's 550d, and my mum's pentax ist*dl and new k5 all let you set a min-max range for auto ISO, but my 7D doesn't. I hope that's finally coming to the expensive models...

Upvote 0
T

tooslick2k

RileyJoseph said:
Remember when kseib said this a few days ago:
I work for a big camera shop in Canada and Our rep Canon CONFIRMED to us today that its a rebel series thats is gonna be announce On friday March 2, 2012... probably T4-i

Something else he didnt want to tell me will be announcing in the next 2 month

Sorry For party stoping!

Him and his canon rep sure look foolish now. I never doubted CR for a second.

+1 haha that is awesome! I would hate to be him right now.... Its not our party hes stopping!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.