Is a Canon EOS R7 Mark II coming this year? [CR2]

Nov 13, 2023
Nope I have come to love the dials and controls on my R7. And I don't get all these people whining about readout speed? Maybe I just don't push mine hard enough? I have never hit the buffer on my R7 not once? I shoot 15 FPS electronic because the mechanical shutter is just a non-starter for me. And the rolling shutter has rarely been an issue.
Readout speed is an issue mainly for those shooting 30 fps. Canon has acknowledged that the focusing can often not keep up at that fps. I think if Canon has maxed out the fps at 20, people would have had far less to complain about and consider this a really top-notch camera. I almost never shoot above 15 fps, and usually am in Elec 1st curtain using H, not H+, so am shooting at 8 fps (I think) and that is plenty for large birds and other creatures I shoot. Great camera at it's price point, in my opinion, and would have no interest if double the price.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nope I have come to love the dials and controls on my R7. And I don't get all these people whining about readout speed? Maybe I just don't push mine hard enough? I have never hit the buffer on my R7 not once? I shoot 15 FPS electronic because the mechanical shutter is just a non-starter for me. And the rolling shutter has rarely been an issue.
I'm a very happy R7 user as I use it within its limitations. If all you do is take static shots of slow moving subjects then the read out speed is fine. Just try using it in the the pre-burst mode that is fixed to ES then you can get shots like these:

3R3A8427_11-DxO_Grey_Wagtail_rolling_shutter-Sm.jpg

The camera also suffers from shutter shock at certain speeds, and that includes in EFCS in continuous bursts where the shock of closing shocks the next image as the shutter is opening. I use it in ES at lower speeds to avoid the shock and get problems. I have had loads of shots where there is rapid movement of birds and insect wings ruined by rolling shutter. That's not whining that's a fact.

Here's a 6-Spot Burnet in flight taken with ES.

3R3A1197 copy.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
And if they keep the same price point, what will Canon improve: read out speed or resolution? I can imagine Canon putting in a much faster, but lower resolution sensor.
Are there any examples where a mark 2 has had less resolution than the mark 1? Genuine question.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It doesn't bother me, but I do find myself looking in the wrong place after using my R5 for extended times and going back to the R7.
Likewise - the R7 wheel is fine if you use the R7 all the time but if you switch between the R7 and R5 it's a pain adjusting to the different layout.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Hell Yeah!

The R7 is clearly not the best Canon could have built in terms of mirrorless APS-C. The 32,5MP Sensor is actually taken from the 90D and has a slow readout. The lack of a vertical grip mount is one of the top three reasons people do not like her that much. And it makes sense - a flagship camera needs the ability for accessories like a battery grip.

So if they want to attack Fuji's XT-5 with a fast 40MP sensor, they need to develop it. My guess on realistic specs for the R7 II:

35-40MP stacked BSI Sensor (much faster readout, better low-light performance)
15 fps mechanical
40-50 fps electronic
newest AF (what a surprise)
6K @ 60fps
4K @ 120fps (crop)
up to 4K @ 60fps oversampled from 6-7K
1080p @ 180/240 fps (?)
6 to 8 stops IBIS
new multiangle LCD, like it is likely to come on the R5 II (same size, same resolution)
most likely a new processor: DIGIC X II /DIGIC XI
hopefully we get a successor to the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM (--> RF-S 16-60mm f2.8 IS USM)
a better EVF, 4-6MP
ISO down to 50/64?

if there will be no R7C comming, then the R7 II gets:
RAW Video (10/12-bit Video)
8K capabilites (yes, we need at least 38MP for that)
Canon Log 2 and 3
Dual ISO (100/1600)
hopefully a full HDMI output

An announcement would be plausible between April and September, with a market start between June and October.

As said, these are my more or less realistic guesses. Let me know your thoughts on to this.

A personal note: I use a 77D and a 90D with 17-55mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8. My step into the mirrorless system would be the R7, but the lack of a battery grip and the slower sensor gives me hope for a R7 II this year... INCLUDING a fast zoom lense for APS-C, but we will see. If not lets hope that Sigma gives us the acess to their lenses for RF/RF-S
The Fujifilm X-T5 and X-H2S X-Trans IV with 40mp might actually have a slower readout speed than the R7. I need to confirm it, but I’m pretty sure it’s SLOWER. It’s terrible and borderline unusable for electronic shutter. You may be confusing the stacked 26mp sensor in the $2,500 X-H2S - also called the X-Trans IV by their brilliant minds.

Canon would be wise to look at the success of this stacked sensor camera at the price point to see there is a market. The H2S is heavily favored as a hybrid video platform and it shoots open gate. If the next R7 is up to the same quality of the X-H2S, I would not mind the price point. The X-H2S and X-H2 are $500 apart and the X-T5 brings up the rear at $200 less because of its own design limitations. This could easily represent two models coexisting with an R7 and an R7X. I’m sure the R7 would still sell very well for them, but having an option that holds back less and swings for the monster of the X-H2S?!? Sign me UP!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Are there any examples where a mark 2 has had less resolution than the mark 1? Genuine question.
The R8 has fewer MP than the RP, but thanks to the new AA filter, better resolution.
I think the 1 series also went down in MP as well when the lines merged in the 1DX.

Upvote 0
The R6 II was not much more expensive than the R6 when the R6 II was released.
It also had the original release price of the R6.
Well it's up to everyones personal financial status to say how much more expensive is considered negligible.
Here in Germany the r6II goes for effectively 300 Euros more than the original R6, which I consider to be quite a lot of money

Upvote 0
I would not hold your breath waiting for that. Canon has shown only very limited interest in high quality APS-C lenses, and that was a long time ago. With the entire market shifting toward FF cameras, I think it's even less likely, now.

However, there are several reasonably-priced RF lenses that perform very well with APS-C cameras, e.g. the 16/2.8, 28/2.8 and 100-400.
I would add the RF 35/1.8 Macro which is similar to 50mm and has some added versatility with the 1:2 reproduction ratio.

Dreaming about global shutter with a stacked sensor (which might be a step to realize that) is too much, but maybe a 24 MPix sensor with very fast readout to set something against the new Sony?
In general I am very satisfied with my R7 in terms of IQ and operability for my style (only single shot) and I am really happy with the Auto Level Function which I am really missing in my R6 ii (or I wasn't able to find that feature). Canon: I would bay 39 EUR for that feature with a firmware upgrade, just saying.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Dreaming about global shutter with a stacked sensor (which might be a step to realize that) is too much, but maybe a 24 MPix sensor with very fast readout to set something against the new Sony?
In general I am very satisfied with my R7 in terms of IQ and operability for my style (only single shot) and I am really happy with the Auto Level Function which I am really missing in my R6 ii (or I wasn't able to find that feature). Canon: I would bay 39 EUR for that feature with a firmware upgrade, just saying.
Only the R7 has the auto level feature :(

Upvote 0
Sure you can.
Not without severe crippling, try it out!

It’s either you can internally record but the camera body will shut off the screen and you can no longer tap focus or use any touch screen capabilities.
Or
Both screen stay on but you can only externally record.

The R5 is the only one that is not hindered like this.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'm a very happy R7 user as I use it within its limitations. If all you do is take static shots of slow moving subjects then the read out speed is fine. Just try using it in the the pre-burst mode that is fixed to ES then you can get shots like these:

View attachment 215011

The camera also suffers from shutter shock at certain speeds, and that includes in EFCS in continuous bursts where the shock of closing shocks the next image as the shutter is opening. I use it in ES at lower speeds to avoid the shock and get problems. I have had loads of shots where there is rapid movement of birds and insect wings ruined by rolling shutter. That's not whining that's a fact.

Here's a 6-Spot Burnet in flight taken with ES.

View attachment 215012
I don't see them as ruined. To me, it's an unsettling, but interesting way to capture the movement. Certainly not natural looking.

Upvote 0
I would not hold your breath waiting for that. Canon has shown only very limited interest in high quality APS-C lenses, and that was a long time ago. With the entire market shifting toward FF cameras, I think it's even less likely, now.

However, there are several reasonably-priced RF lenses that perform very well with APS-C cameras, e.g. the 16/2.8, 28/2.8 and 100-400.
Agreed and yes I use all my RF lenses on my R7, those you mentioned and the 24, 35, 50mm f/1.8’s and 85 f/2.. the 1.2’s are for the R6/R5’s

I’m ”hoping” sigma takes over for RF-S and RF 1.4’s, wont be Fuji quality but at least it will actually happen, Canon will never have a full lineup of quality APSC. Which is why I also own Fuji.

Upvote 0

photofrankdzi

APS-C fan hopes for "L"- qualitiy - CANON-Lenses
Feb 13, 2023
We don't need a new R7.
We need RFs - Lenses, which are as good as the R7.
I need an RF-S 17-55mm f2.8 L
or at minimum an RFs 32 f 1.4L (I think it can't be so difficult adopting the existing EF-M Version to RF-s)!
Or an RFs 50 f 1.4L (I graded up from M6mk2 because there came no new good Lenses, which could be used without an adaptor, and I hoped, it would be better with the R7 - but it is worse till now!!!
Maybe I have to change to Fujifilm next time.
Good compact cameras PLUS many good, different Lenses for APS-C.
IT is so sad for this very good APS-C Camera R7.
I am an enthusiastic Hobby-Photografer (with Canon since more than 40 Years),
who does not need Full Format - but a Camera as good an compact as my R7,
with IBIS and big akku and two cardslots - AND good Lenses!
I don't want to carry and pay (for me useless) "RF-glass"!

Last edited:
Upvote 0