Is SIGMA getting ready to announce their first RF mount lenses? [CR1]

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
How can the Canon 50 1.8 get a score of 29 for sharpness compared to only 22 for the RF 50mm 1.2?
Of course it's because the 50 1.8 is tested on a 50MP sensor versus 30MP for the RF but anyone can honestly believe the
cheap plastic lens would be any sharper?
Are you telling me I could’ve been using the nifty fifty over all these big expensive lenses all these years? Ugh Canon marketing!!!!!

My guess is their lenses won't have a Control Ring. Is that a fair assumption?

Still, I'm a Sigma fan - currently own the 35 and 50 Art lens paired with the R. I would love to own Canon's RF L lenses but good Lord do you need some deep pockets! Sigma RF mount glass would be a nice compromise for sure. I've just gotten used to the Control Ring on my adaptor that it would be a shame to loose it when using 3rd party lens.
if they’re just staying with original lens designs and slapping an adapter on these, I would think they could put control rings on the lenses.

They can’t move the lens any closer to the sensor than DSLR correct? Therefore leaving a 24mm or so extension on the RF lens?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Check DxOMark ranking. For any DSLR lens, Nikon version is always better than Canon version:

The fact that Sigma offers a mount conversion service for their lenses pretty much shoots a hole in the idea that they design lenses with optical formulas matched to specific mounts.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If they’re just staying with original lens designs and slapping an adapter on these, I would think they could put control rings on the lenses..

I guess that's the big question -- are they designing new mirrorless-specific lenses and varying the mounts by manufacturer, or are they adding a built-in adapter to existing DSLR designs? In either case, I'm guessing they could easily add the control-ring function once they reverse-engineer the protocols. I would also guess that they would place the control ring at the back of the lens, just like the Canon adapter, rather than near the front like R lenses. (Makes it easier to make different lens mounts for different brands and continue to offer mount conversions)

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Have they been able to reverse engineer the mount already?
The really tricky part is reverse engineering the, what is it 3 or 4, pins that are still "reserved". Meaning Canon's designers have a vague idea in mind but no camera or lens of theirs yet uses them but will some day. Thus, only get dock compatible (update-able) third party lenses for R.
Can Canon's own R lenses be updated by end users?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon can use a camera firmware update to update the lens. Third party lenses need a dock.
The Sigma and Canon docks are very useful for tweaking the properties of lenses and tailoring AF distance ranges to your own requirements, and it would be useful if Canon provided a dock.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The Sigma and Canon docks are very useful for tweaking the properties of lenses and tailoring AF distance ranges to your own requirements, and it would be useful if Canon provided a dock.
I don't disagree. I was just saying that currently, rather than providing a dock, Canon lenses are updated by firmware that is installed while the camera is attached to the lens. Example Here

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
what would be the point. all they would do is make a lens with the adapter built in. maybe put a control ring on it as an incentive. arent some of the sony ones longer because they are just "adapters" at the end
If that is all they are doing. It's possible they could design lenses specific to mirrorless. We won't know that until they release a lens. Those who have an aversion to adapters might prefer to have one permanently attached. If they are just adapting DSLR lenses, then I would expect that most users would rather have the versatility of being able to use the lens on a DSLR and use an adapter with mirrorless.

Upvote 0