Is the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Discontinued?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’ve now heard from two different people, that two different retailers are saying that the PowerShot G7 X Mark II is listed as discontinued in their computer systems.</p>
<p>The current P<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide-category/powershot/">owerShot G7 X Mark II was announced February 17, 2016</a>, so it makes sense that a replacement may be coming soon. The camera is now well past 2 years old. The original PowerShot G7 X lasted for 520 days before the announcement of the PowerShot G7 X Mark II.</p>
<p>We haven’t seen any other leaks or information about a potential PowerShot G7 X Mark III, but we have been told that at least one G series PowerShot camera was coming in 2018.</p>
<p>We’ve been told by a few retailers that the PowerShot G7 X series has been the best selling of the refreshed “G” series of cameras.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I hope there's a Mark III, and that it's not radically different. I have been thinking of getting a Mark II to upgrade my underwater capabilities. It seems to be the best tool for the job, for those of us not willing to travel and dive with a full SLR setup.

Key features compared to my Sony RX 100 III:
faster autofocus
longer zoom range (the 100mm max is perfect for me)
decent macro (recognizing that serious macro will require extra gear)
familiar Canon user interface :)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have really enjoyed having the G7X II as my travel camera. I just had framed 13" x 19" prints I made from pictures I took with it in Hawaii back in December. It is a really good compromise between size, price, and quality. I can see why it would be a popular series. Before I got it, I was using the S120, and it was even more pocketable, had a little longer zoom range, and took rather decent pictures. The advantages of the G more than made up for all that.

I think it is unlikely that I would be interested in an upgrade to a Mark III. I would rather spend that money toward a lens for my DSLR unless the Mark III brings something really special to the table beyond the Mark II.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
maxfactor9933 said:
I cant understand why they print the focal length on the lens relative to sensor size and not the 35mm equivalent.

totally useless information

Because it is the truth. Optically that is how the lens acts no matter what you think of equivance. There is not room to print long articles on the topic on the front of the lens.

Us old guys who used to shoot on 35mm film think in terms of those focal lengths. The notion of a “full frame” camera arbitrarily comes from that. I got my first FF DSLR just seven months ago, but I was still thinking in those terms.

The lens is not interchangeable, so you think of focal length only when shopping for the camera, and the FF equivalent is on the advertising. Otherwise you just zoom in or out to get the framing to look right on the screen. No need to think about numbers.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
maxfactor9933 said:
I cant understand why they print the focal length on the lens relative to sensor size and not the 35mm equivalent.

totally useless information

It is not useless information, it allows quickly to see the sensor size of the camera. For one inch sensors the zoom starts at 8.8 mm or 10.2 mm. That is the real focal length. at he 35 mm equivalences are not real and should not ben printed on the camera. Especially with real aperture values. The G series uses them on the step zoom though. This is somewhat understandable but they could have used real ones.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
sailingsilkeborg said:
I sold my G7 X Mark II after less than a year's worth of occasional use. Good camera with useful features, and good traveling size, but I just couldn't get used to focusing and composing on the rear screen, like a cell phone.

If a Mark III came out with an EVF, I'd be back in.

Funny our different perspectives. I can’t see the point for me of a mirrorless camera. The OVF is one of the main reasons I use a DSLR. My GX7 II is already mirrorless. And using the screen is like live view on my other cameras. Adding more bulk would take away its handy pocketability. Aren’t there already bigger G cameras with some sort of viewfinder? I don’t want one for my travel camera.

Upvote 0
sailingsilkeborg said:
I sold my G7 X Mark II after less than a year's worth of occasional use. Good camera with useful features, and good traveling size, but I just couldn't get used to focusing and composing on the rear screen, like a cell phone.

If a Mark III came out with an EVF, I'd be back in.
You'll have to wait for a G5X MkII...

Upvote 0

peconicgp

R6, R8, M6mkII
Oct 18, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Had G7 Mk II and i really liked it but I sold the camera to buy a new lens for my 5D Mk IV. I def get more use out of the new lens then the G7.

Problem i had and i think the problem with cameras in this class is that the photos from them aren't that much better than my cell phone. They are better just not that much better to justify carrying it on me all the time and as a result i never did. It just sat in my truck door waiting for me to grab it.

Now if they can fit an ASPC sensor with the same zoom range and features into that body size than i will def buy a MK III.

Camera is a nice "cheaper" vlogging camera as well so i would think they would want to put some new video feautures in there too.

Upvote 0