Is the EF purge beginning? The EF 200mm f/2L IS USM is now listed as discontinued

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Apart from less MPIX its a big step up from the 5DIV if you shoot action or use fast primes wide open. AF is in another league and I love the new control options.

I also want more MPIX - however, due to the special memory card and the need for a new card reader you pay a lot on top for the R5. As I am waiting for the high MPIX "R", the R6 is a great option.

With the R6' fabulous DX sensor I can use Gigapixel AI, when I need more MPIX. Works for me. YMMV.
Thanks for your impressions.
TBH I was never MP hungry and thought that 20 would be enough. But shooting more and more dragonflies and birds I need some more than the R6 can offer. Not neccessarily the 45 the R5 has, but something around 30, at least.
But most frustrating is the overall high R/RF pricing - lens - bodies at all.
Maybe within a few years... And my guess is that my first R will be an RP successor: small FF travel cam - but with better sensor and hopefully with IBIS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A few years ago, I could "easily" afford an EOS 5 DIV + 100-400 for about Euro 4200.
The R5 + 100-500 is Euro 7200...that's 5 DIV, + 100-400 + 24 TSE + 135 f2.
When putting those lense/camera combo prices in direct comparison, the RF prices are really scary...
PS: I'm using the EOS R, like it pretty much, but the only RF lens I bought (with heavy discount) is the 24-105 L.
The new price structure has, till now, dissuaded me from, as you said, fully entering the new world.
Same here. EOS R/ RF 24-105mm & RF 35mm so far, all other lenses are too expensiv. I’m hoping for cash back promotion in 2022 (when a few more lenses are out) in addition to the EOS plus X (cashback for up to three RF lenses within 12 months). And maybe one of the photo retailers will have “canon lense sell-out” rebate. Without these option, I can’t imagine buying more than one RF lense in the near future...

thx to lense sell-out rebate and summer cashback I got my EF 100-400mm for 1.500 € (new Conditio) instead of 2.099 €.
That’s impressive value for money compared to 3.099 € for the RF 100-500mm

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks for your impressions.
TBH I was never MP hungry and thought that 20 would be enough. But shooting more and more dragonflies and birds I need some more than the R6 can offer. Not neccessarily the 45 the R5 has, but something around 30, at least.
But most frustrating is the overall high R/RF pricing - lens - bodies at all.
Maybe within a few years... And my guess is that my first R will be an RP successor: small FF travel cam - but with better sensor and hopefully with IBIS.
Birds eat MPIX for lunch!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I'd be careful buying an EF version myself. No one knows how long spare parts will be available. Canon stopped accepting repairs of the former 200mm f/1.8 L around 24 months after it was discontinued. Of course one can hope that it will last a long time. But its still an expensive lens and the resale value will drop a lot once it cannot be repaired any longer.
Can see Canon has said they will service it “at least” until 2027. Not bad.

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
It would be nice if Canon serviced their L lenses indefinitely. They can be very expensive to replace if you don't need to. I bought some Zeiss binoculars made in West Germany in the 1980's that have long been out of production. They came with a lifetime warranty. I send them to Zeiss USA every few years and they still service them free of charge and replace parts as needed.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
It would be nice if Canon serviced their L lenses indefinitely. They can be very expensive to replace if you don't need to. I bought some Zeiss binoculars made in West Germany in the 1980's that have long been out of production. They came with a lifetime warranty. I send them to Zeiss USA every few years and they still service them free of charge and replace parts as needed.
To be fair about eight years ago Canon were able to repair my 20-35L which must have gone out of production in the early ‘90s. I guess with these statements they are covering themselves against lack of parts and they state when they can guarantee repair.
I believe they guarantee to may be able to repair the EOS 1v up to 2030. 2025

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
To be fair about eight years ago Canon were able to repair my 20-35L which must have gone out of production in the early ‘90s. I guess with these statements they are covering themselves against lack of parts and they state when they can guarantee repair.
I believe they guarantee to be able to repair the EOS 1v up to 2030.
Canon USA won’t even look at my 1VHS with 36 rolls of film through it, it needs a shutter. I can’t find a shutter anywhere and even if I did finding somebody who can do the necessary calibration after fitting it, it needs old unsupported software to initiate it, is unlikely.

But if anybody knows any different, or wants a 36 roll 1VHS that shutter doesn’t work, let me know! Please!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I bought it too (135 f2), and love it !
Didn't want to spend 3000 + on the 135 f1,4...
I sold my first 135mm f/2L when I bought into RF just to help buy RF glass. Then the Pandemic hit and I had to sell all my RF glass. Sucks! So, I ended up getting another EF 135mm and a Tamron 45mm. If things ever get better, I'll be back into RF glass... but going to hang on to my 135mm from now on. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
When putting those lense/camera combo prices in direct comparison, the RF prices are really scary...

Same here. EOS R/ RF 24-105mm & RF 35mm so far, all other lenses are too expensiv. I’m hoping for cash back promotion in 2022 (when a few more lenses are out) in addition to the EOS plus X (cashback for up to three RF lenses within 12 months). And maybe one of the photo retailers will have “canon lense sell-out” rebate. Without these option, I can’t imagine buying more than one RF lense in the near future...

thx to lense sell-out rebate and summer cashback I got my EF 100-400mm for 1.500 € (new Conditio) instead of 2.099 €.
That’s impressive value for money compared to 3.099 € for the RF 100-500mm
There's one RF lens I MUST have, it's the 14mm TSE, not only for architecture, but also for landscapes (deep canyons, forests etc...).
But otherwise, even hoping for future price-adjustments, I'll keep using -or- buying, those excellent new or used EF lenses.
PS: I realised I overestimated what I paid for my EF items, and underestimated what I would pay for RF gear, so, the comparison is even less in favour of the RF system...

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Official Canon policy is to repair redundant lenses "as long as parts exist".

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
There's one RF lens I MUST have, it's the 14mm TSE, not only for architecture, but also for landscapes (deep canyons, forests etc...).
But otherwise, even hoping for future price-adjustments, I'll keep using -or- buying, those excellent new or used EF lenses.
PS: I realised I overestimated what I paid for my EF items, and underestimated what I would pay for RF gear, so, the comparison is even less in favour of the RF system...
Photography is a niche. One should expect prices for photographic equipment to be priced according to value and not demand. Value Marketing.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Its expensive, but being able to keep your EF lenses and getting 90% of the RF advantage with one of the new bodies seems a lot better than the situation when we got the EOS mount. I switched 100% over already. But it is not cheap and I consider myself fortunate to be able to carry the cost for getting the last 10% performance - and some added connivance on top.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
All lenses are made in batches, and Canon like nobody knows how many of their lenses are sold. I guess they just see that demand does not justify another batch. And considering that the most expensive and time consuming part (with a lot of highly qualified hand work involved) of any lens is glass elements, they better allocate their (limited) resources to lenses that sell well.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
My guess the difference is due to two reasons. The first is consumer laws now require manufacturers to offer service for longer periods of time. The second is manufacturing of some of the lens' elements had waste containing lead. Canon wanted to turn green, so it probably made the least number of those elements it legally could at the time, and hence a short service period.

Upvote 0