Is the EOS 7D Mark II the last in the 7D series? We’re told that it is [CR1]

Jun 29, 2016
A few days ago, someone wrote that in a conversation with Canon officials, they said that they are listening to their customers, and for some reason, this time they believed they are. I hope that they are reading this blog-conversation because they will eventually understand that the 7D line is a unique creature, it is a pro APC camera, and as such, until they produce a mirror-less that can replace it, which I doubt, they need to continue with this line, at least one more model, as they will probably do with the 1DX.

As for switching: most people won't because it is, as said many times, the lenses are the big issue here, I have EF lenses going back to 1996, and therefore, building my line of lenses even since, I won't hurry to "sell them" to anyone. However, using an attempting EF-to-mirror-less converter will eventually be the option that will be chosen in the end. The fact I can use both EF and EFs lenses on the same converter and get a FF images, is just a bonus.

However, as said before, there is no current replacement in the R system to the 7D, and Canon will do well if they will not even try to, they need to focus on the 1Dx - R replacement, not an APC - R camera.

That is my opinion, as much as it worth.

Upvote 0
That could be bad news for an awful lot of amateur wildlife shooters out there who have been putting up with the horrid sensor in the 7D2 in the hope of something better. I'm not yet convinced that mirrorless cameras can handle the focusing required using long lenses and tiny subjects. I know my M50 isn't up to it.

The M50 with EF 5.6 400 and 2x TC is much better in AF compared to the 7D :)

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Canon would do this only if the APS-C R body can do AI Servo AF at 10+FPS, the EVF would have infinite resolution, would be lag-free & noise-free, would consume little battery life, and the xxD target market is willing to pay more than 80D prices for 7D features. Otherwise, I think the 90D body would be more likely to be the one that would be binned for an MILC variant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since Sony A7III apears, I've been waiting Canon's respounce. Someting to replace my 7D MkII. Maybe a new body with more focus points, better AF or eye tracking, tilting or variable angle touchscreen, a better sensor, and of course, more speed, with a reasonable price.

But Canon simply insists on low specification bodies with high prices.

Maybe is time to change for Sony and forget about Canon.

Maybe I am not the typical canonrumors reader but I use M50 and 200D with some success when it comes to use them as tools to take photos. My experience during the buying process was that they have low prices but providing a lot of specs.
I cannot see alternatives to M50 + EF-M f/1.4 32 @ 1100 EUR/$ for photography and some video.

For me the most important specification is IQ which itself isn't easy to specify. I am satisfied with IQ and I am very critical with that: Natural color, natural textures. Reliable exposure and very accurate and precise AF with DPAF as an important addition to use the available DR and quality of the lenses.

Upvote 0
I don't get why there would need to be an APRS-C R body also if the R and RP have crop modes (or does the crop mode only work with EF-S lenses?). I guess the only thing is that the sensor would be cheaper.

If you want to conserve ~24 MPix resolution for APS-C AND conserve the option for FF the overall pixel count be in the 60 MPix region (24 x 1.6²) - in that case the APS-C sensor would be much cheaper and the readout too which might affect the CPU selection, maybe 60MPix were only feasible with dual DIGIC 8 etc.

I am interested in a ~ 60-70 MPix EOS R body with
Full-Res mode / quarter Res mode w. 15-18 MPix (available light, small file size) / Good APS-C support
and
corresponding video modes with FullHD and 4k w/o additional crop including 24 fps.
as "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" (animal which produces eggs, wool, milk and meat)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Having lower full frame pixel density was last excuse for having 7 line camera around .There isnt any acceptable quality long tele on EF-S category.
Crop is consumer and always been.
Canon obviously thinks new high megapixel R is good enough for bird photographers who doesnt want use tele converter.
Lets see first how many digic processor they stuff inside body , before you sell your canon lenses.
7dii and highmegapixel R could be on same price category ?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Having lower full frame pixel density was last excuse for having 7 line camera around .There isnt any acceptable quality long tele on EF-S category.
Canon obviously thinks new high megapixel R is good enough for bird photographers who doesnt want use tele converter.
Lets see first how many digic processor they stuff inside body , before you sell your canon lenses.
I can't see a 7d series body and a high MP r body being a similar price. In Aus a 7d2 is around 2500. A high mp r body that can shoot at 10fps and has 7d quality ergonomics and build quality is going to be waaaay more than that. Minimum 5k. So double the price.and if it doesn't have the same build quality or shoot in servo at 10plus fps then it isn't a substitute for a 7series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

That's why so many full time wildlife photographers are using 7D's because it's consumer only. Who cares about EF-S lenses. The 7D is to be used with 100-400, 500, 600mm big whites. The big megapixel R will need to have 50MP+, at least 10FPS and AF-C/buffer on par with the 7D to compete.
And even then it would not compete with double the price.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
That's why so many full time wildlife photographers are using 7D's because it's consumer only. Who cares about EF-S lenses. The 7D is to be used with 100-400, 500, 600mm big whites. The big megapixel R will need to have 50MP+, at least 10FPS and AF-C/buffer on par with the 7D to compete.
And even then it would not compete with double the price.
Plus, around here a 7D2 goes for $2250 and an R for $3000. The 7D2 has vastly better robustness, faster frame rate, and better AF system. No way is Canon going to seriously undercut the R with a higher level camera

Upvote 0
I fail to understand Canon currently... the mirrorless craze is really boring for me (nothing against mirrorless, but if I went Canon and not Sony it is because I am more interested in DSLR, like many others I suppose...). We need a 7D MkIII and a high level APSC.

time to switch to Nikon? their DSLR are real better than Canon currently. And their policies more clear: you get the best of them in each category. Canon ultra "segmented" and "curbed" cameras are beginning to be boring...

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Seeing how everyone is banging on about Sony again I thought I’d share my thoughts on them. Feel free to have a pop at me but this is just my thoughts on the Sony system..

They may have better sensors, speeds, DR and stuff but they BORE me to death.. Sure, in some cases you will capture a marginally better photo but the brand is so boring I’d rather stick to Canon (or Nikon)

Have a nice day everyone!

Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
I find it a pity. The quality of construction, the operating concept of the 7D2, the wheel and joystick were what kept me at Canon.
If there is no follower, then the thing is through. R and RP don't convinces me.
I found the wipe bar of the R uncomfortable (1 month of using) and the new controls of the RP not effective.
Weaker sensors and giving up of the optimal operating concept.
Is it a right way?
No successor to the 7D2 till spring 2020 means, I will go -on the request of Canon- away.
Time to say goodbye to the brand

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nikon released the 7DIII 3 years ago. Why wait. 7DII was a major disappointment and I highly doubt Canon could even offer something better than the D500 anyway even with 4 years to get it right. I'll believe it when I see it that Canon can have a competitive mirrorless action oriented camera ready by next year let alone this year. This will leave1DXIII as the only camera of interest in the entire line-up.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I've never used a 7D. But I gather it is a fine choice for some folks, and if you are one of them, you most likely know who you are. That is certainly the impression I got several years back at a Kelby seminar. I happened to be seated near folks with sons who played high school football. Each of them had a 7D or aspired to buy one soon.

Upvote 0