Is there such a thing like pro stock lenses, or special +++ quality lenses for demo or reviews ?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Don't let what seems a statistical anomaly discourage you. From personal experience, I know it happens now and then. And, besides, while some of the replies in this thread may be paranoid, and rude, they are mostly from solid photographers who are just as picky as you and me!

(I'll admit: We get a few nutters here who post on and on and on about a problem with a lens or camera, providing either no evidence, or, what could be worse, poor images and evasive answers to genuinely helpful questions...We even have one who posts under different names here and on other forums with the same complaints about different brands! So, please let me assure you that this is a very helpful online community--but sometimes the, ahem, the "hazing" of new participants can seem frustrating! ;) )

By the way, have you had a camera before with as many megapixels as the R5? 45MP or more?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TES

Feb 20, 2021
Have you confronted the store were you got all your samples from about these findings? As they seem to be willing to go through quite the hassle to keep you as a customer, they should also be okay with providing some information about the process that goes into determining which lens they put up as demo and what they could see as potential causes for the IQ differences.

If I had to speculate, somebody will check a lens out to make sure it isn't a total wreck before using it as demo - but nothing more than that. If that's information they won't share, it's odd (or they just have enough off you) and might be reason to pause.

But since you seem to have built up a reputation of being the guy who only buys the best lens, I also don't see how it serves them to degrade all their other boxes instead of just giving you said best one if they know which one it is anyway - unless of course they are circumventing some laws of the place you're from by essentially practicing a form of false advertising. In which case I would wonder what's the point of it all in the first place.

Anyway, seems to me we can only speculate and that won't help anybody, really. Either confront the store (or Canon) with your pictures, or just write it off as chance.

@Joules thanks for the suggestion, I had a talk with my pro shop and they told me their procedure for selecting demo lenses. They actually don't do any quality check, basically a random selection. I have no reason to doubt them.

So I am sorry for stirring up the pot, it was not my intention to promote conspiracy theories, I was thinking that it might be some common knowledge that lenses was selected. I guess I will just write that theory off.

I did a retest today, and had the same result. I persuaded the pro shop to sell me their demo version, so I am really happy as that particular lens was a real gem.

My personal conclusion is that there are sample variations of a very expensive prime lens, and that I was right on insisting to test different samples.

All is good, happy photographer with a new amazing lens, can't wait to get it to use.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

@Joules sorry but I didn't get your point on false advertising ??

Cheers, TES

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TES

Feb 20, 2021
Don't let what seems a statistical anomaly discourage you. From personal experience, I know it happens now and then. And, besides, while some of the replies in this thread may be paranoid, and rude, they are mostly from solid photographers who are just as picky as you and me!

(I'll admit: We get a few nutters here who post on and on and on about a problem with a lens or camera, providing either no evidence, or, what could be worse, poor images and evasive answers to genuinely helpful questions...We even have one who posts under different names here and on other forums with the same complaints about different brands! So, please let me assure you that this is a very helpful online community--but sometimes the, ahem, the "hazing" of new participants can seem frustrating! ;) )

By the way, have you had a camera before with as many megapixels as the R5? 45MP or more?

Good to know, thanks - I have been a member of a tennis forum for years and after a while you kind of learn the different posters and the forum dynamic. I guess this is the same here.

I still have my 5DsR, but it will soon be up for sale as I have grow very fond of the R system. I have been photographing with digital backs for years (Phase One) but now only use my back for special assignments or personal work. The Canons takes care of 95% of my assignment work. Believe it or not, I also still shoot film with Mamiya RZ and my beloved Sinar Norma.

Cheers, TES

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TES

Feb 20, 2021
Some dealers let you try 2 or 3 lenses on a camera in store, but I really don't know how anyone could reasonably compare sharpness or lends anomolies that way.

I look at it this way: no musician would buy a guitar without playing it first and comparing it to other guitars at the store, well the guitar's tested will then be used but that is just the name of the game. I think we as photographers should have the same options when we buy our glass. I buy most of my photo gear at the pro store, to get the service and to support local stores, even if the price tag is higher than Amazon or B&H.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
@Joules thanks for the suggestion, I had a talk with my pro shop and they told me their procedure for selecting demo lenses. They actually don't do any quality check, basically a random selection. I have no reason to doubt them.

So I am sorry for stirring up the pot, it was not my intention to promote conspiracy theories, I was thinking that it might be some common knowledge that lenses was selected. I guess I will just write that theory off.

I did a retest today, and had the same result. I persuaded the pro shop to sell me their demo version, so I am really happy as that particular lens was a real gem.

My personal conclusion is that there are sample variations of a very expensive prime lens, and that I was right on insisting to test different samples.

All is good, happy photographer with a new amazing lens, can't wait to get it to use.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

@Joules sorry but I didn't get your point on false advertising ??

Cheers, TES
Great that you followed up with the store directly. That is definitely the most promising source of clearing up the question at hand. If you are still not quite convinced that it is just chance that got you your results, you may want to ask them if there are other customers like you who test multiple lenses and only buy the best one.

In theory, having multiple customers that snatch away the best lenses from each other would explain a bias towards subpar in the store's inventory. Not that I believe your sample size is large enough to be certain of any bias in the first place. Just something I wanted to point out if you are still in doubt.

My point about false advertisement wasn't based on any specific knowledge of the law. It just seems to me that there should be laws preventing shops from purposefully having demo units that don't represent the average product. Since the demo unit is what a normal customer would base their purchase decision on, while the average product is what they are getting, I can see some legal bodies arguing some kind of issue.

I look at it this way: no musician would buy a guitar without playing it first and comparing it to other guitars at the store, well the guitar's tested will then be used but that is just the name of the game. I think we as photographers should have the same options when we buy our glass. I buy most of my photo gear at the pro store, to get the service and to support local stores, even if the price tag is higher than Amazon or B&H.
It is fair to consider sample variations when making large purchases. But they are part of why we can afford such purchases in the first place. If the factories would only let out the absolute perfect ones, their supply would be too small to keep the prices so low.

As the lens rentals Blog posts on the subject show, Canon in particular have gotten very good with controlling sample variations recently.

But they remain a part of mass production and somebody has to buy the lesser parts too. If every photographer would apply your purchasing process, the small stores would just pile up inventory of poor lenses.

One other thing worth considering: With sigma lenses, I believe they offer a service where you can sent the lens in and let it be recalibrated. I could imagine Canon having something similar, at least in certain countries. Though this is just me bringing up something I've read in the internet sometimes, it might be false.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Good to know, thanks - I have been a member of a tennis forum for years and after a while you kind of learn the different posters and the forum dynamic. I guess this is the same here.
As was pointed out to you, it is not that rare to see some pretty wild posts on here, sometimes by new members. Back in the old days one would frequently see people predicting doom and gloom for Canon, trying to convince people of how much they were missing out by not using Sony, for example. As Canon caught up, that's become less, but with new members you never know how much of a shill or bot they are before confronting them a little. Don't be discouraged if the initial tone seems too rough. In total, I think it has become less prominent on this site.

I'm not sure if that's a product of changing times or the mods becoming more trigger happy, perhaps a combination of both.

Not lumping you in with those, just wanting to give some background on why members act how they do. As to why conspiracy theory and potential misinformation are touchy subjects, I think the events are still recent enough to not need a reminder.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I did it without difficulties for my MF Zeiss 50mm Macro Planar (which has an electronic interface).
But obviously it doesn't work with for instance fully "electronic-free" lenses (Leica R).
Edit: did it also for the Zeiss 21mm f2,8, EF mount.
PS: manual lenses of course don't autofocus after "AFMAing" them, but the green focus-ok LED in the viewfinder shows you if the lens is properly focused.
If you prefer, in this case, call it "FMA";)
I did the same to all my zeiss lenses to get the confirmation to be more accurate.

Upvote 0